An quick experiment with archery technique

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

ShirleyCPhillips

Re: An quick experiment with archery technique

Post by ShirleyCPhillips »

Its really a great way to practice...Good work you done here.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

ShirleyCPhillips wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:21 am Its really a great way to practice...Good work you done here.
Thank you :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

here's a set of new traditional arrows I made:

with Bard the bowman's black arrow thrown in for a bit of fun :P

"Arrow!" said the bowman. "Black arrow! I have saved you to the last. You have never failed me and always I have recovered you. I had you from my farther and he from of old. If ever you came from the forges of the true king under the Mountain, go now and speed well!"

Impressive, but if Bard's black arrow was indeed handed down through the generations it makes me wonder how many new shafts and fetchings it had over those years :lol:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Awesome!
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Taylor Steiner wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:10 am Awesome!
Thank you :P
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Very nice!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Harper wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:56 pmVery nice!
thanks a lot :P
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

What did you use to glue the fletching down Iodo? Are they recessed?
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:02 pm What did you use to glue the fletching down Iodo? Are they recessed?

Just ordinary fetching glue, I haven't done anything clever or historically accurate :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9tr8clpOw0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEzWXE2H5EY&t=1032s
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Iodo wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:30 pm here's a set of new traditional arrows I made:
Late question but I really like those arrowheads you have. They seems to have a better aesthetic than the usual target points since they look more along the lines of bodkin. Well, I assume you use them for target practice. If so, do you have a link where I might pick up a couple?
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Cimrandir wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:48 pm Late question but I really like those arrowheads you have. They seems to have a better aesthetic than the usual target points since they look more along the lines of bodkin. Well, I assume you use them for target practice. If so, do you have a link where I might pick up a couple?
yeah, there are two companies that make them, here are the links for the supplier I use:

TAS history point: https://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/tas-history-point.html

Bearpaw History Point:
11/32'' - https://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/bearpaw ... -1132.html
5/16'' - https://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/bearpaw ... t-516.html

I can't remember which one I got, I'd have to check the invoice, but as far as I know they are almost the same. A YouTube subscriber asked a while back and I tried to find a supplier that sold them in the US and wasn't very successful, I don't know if Merlin will ship overseas? if not PM me and I can get hold of some and post them

[EDIT] I just looked up my original order, it seems I got the TAS ones even tho I linked the Bearpaw ones in my video
Cortharyn
Wayfarer

Post by Cortharyn »

Iodo wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:46 pm Some of you might know I do target archery at my local club, I shoot recurve barebow and very rarely get chance to practice anything different to the standard targets and distance's (e.g. 20, 30, 40 yds)

A few days ago I was at the indoor range late in the evening, there was no one else there so I decided to try something a bit different. My usual method is to use sighting arrows and a reference point which relies on shooting from the same place every time, which would have limited use for a dwarven fells-ward. What I tried instead was putting up different targets and shooting from different places/distances around the room and I was quite pleased with what I could achieve. I wouldn't go anywhere near as far as calling it instinctive but every arrow I shot was from a different place/distance (up to 30 yds) at a different target and all my arrows were, at least, on or very close to the target I aimed at. It wasn't close to the accuracy I can achieve using my normal technique but it was still far better than I thought it would be, and that surprised me :mrgreen:

That's how I have been doing it for a while. I've always been an instinctive archer. But I think this way is more functional and you don't shoot your arrows anymore either.
Attachments
Multiple targets.jpg
Multiple targets.jpg (39.6 KiB) Viewed 7029 times
I am the weapon
Cortharyn
Wayfarer

Post by Cortharyn »

Iodo wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 6:39 am
Cimrandir wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 11:48 pm Late question but I really like those arrowheads you have. They seems to have a better aesthetic than the usual target points since they look more along the lines of bodkin. Well, I assume you use them for target practice. If so, do you have a link where I might pick up a couple?
yeah, there are two companies that make them, here are the links for the supplier I use:

TAS history point: https://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/tas-history-point.html

Bearpaw History Point:
11/32'' - https://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/bearpaw ... -1132.html
5/16'' - https://www.merlinarchery.co.uk/bearpaw ... t-516.html

I can't remember which one I got, I'd have to check the invoice, but as far as I know they are almost the same. A YouTube subscriber asked a while back and I tried to find a supplier that sold them in the US and wasn't very successful, I don't know if Merlin will ship overseas? if not PM me and I can get hold of some and post them

[EDIT] I just looked up my original order, it seems I got the TAS ones even tho I linked the Bearpaw ones in my video
Can I get a link to your YouTube channel?
I am the weapon
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Cortharyn wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:30 amCan I get a link to your YouTube channel?
Iodo, Dwarven Ranger (YouTube Link)
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

yep, that's it, thx for posting the link Cimrandir