Vanity Fair Article on RoP

Where it's not Ranger related. Rankin Bass, Bakshi, PJ, or independent. If it's not specifically ranger related, let's talk movies (or TV)!

Moderator: caedmon

Ghostsoldier
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Vanity Fair Article on RoP

Post by Ghostsoldier »

I hope it delivers, I really do.

But, I'm no stranger to disappointment; I had such high-hopes for the recent Disney+ Star Wars series "The Book of Boba Fett", considering that it was coming in on the heels of the success of Favreau And Company's "The Mandalorian"... ultimately (to me, anyway), "Boba" was a dismal failure.

Rob
"Nothing's forgotten."
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Ghostsoldier wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:06 pm I hope it delivers, I really do.
I'm with you on that, but my hopes aren't all that high so with any luck I shouldn't be disappointed

Hmmm... I don't know about dismal failure? Book of Boba Fett was just OK, but The Mandalorian was AMAZING, very hard to live up to
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I haven't had time to watch his whole video yet, but I absolutely agree with what Living Anachronism said in the first half:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLj2qamFUuI
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Kramer is a hero. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

That is a well thought out response.

But I really wish that he would slow down his cadence.

I have seen some of his other videos and I get that he is incensed, but ratchet it down some!
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

I could only get through about five minutes, but I think this video could be clocked at wokes per minute. I think I counted about 30.

So much hedging to seem even-handed, but It just felt like an edge lord trying to hard.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Honestly watched about ten minutes or so and I’m still confused as to the point he’s trying to make. He runs through a lot fast and I’m not sure what he’s trying to get at as a result. I can tell he’s not happy about the RoP series which I sympathize with but I don’t understand the current cultural obsession with making public reaction videos. Just don’t watch it? That’s what I’m planning to do.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Cimrandir wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:00 am Honestly watched about ten minutes or so and I’m still confused as to the point he’s trying to make. He runs through a lot fast and I’m not sure what he’s trying to get at as a result. I can tell he’s not happy about the RoP series which I sympathize with but I don’t understand the current cultural obsession with making public reaction videos. Just don’t watch it? That’s what I’m planning to do.

I think that it goes back to that idea of painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa that I posited in the first post.

Certainly, you could elect not to view it.

But you would still know that a great piece of art was desecrated--a historical masterpiece would be ruined to further a socio-political agenda and/or contemporary virtue signalling.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Harper wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:09 pm
Cimrandir wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:00 am Honestly watched about ten minutes or so and I’m still confused as to the point he’s trying to make. He runs through a lot fast and I’m not sure what he’s trying to get at as a result. I can tell he’s not happy about the RoP series which I sympathize with but I don’t understand the current cultural obsession with making public reaction videos. Just don’t watch it? That’s what I’m planning to do.

I think that it goes back to that idea of painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa that I posited in the first post.

Certainly, you could elect not to view it.

But you would still know that a great piece of art was desecrated--a historical masterpiece would be ruined to further a socio-political agenda and/or contemporary virtue signalling.
Except that’s not an apt analogy. There is only one Mona Lisa. A single, original, physical piece of artwork is not analogous to a body of written work that has already been adapted many times in many ways. A better analogy would be to say it’s like painting a mustache on a PRINT of the Mona Lisa. The original Mona Lisa still exists, unaltered. The Mustache-Lisa only exists as a copy of the original - someone else’s interpretation of that piece of art. You can think it’s disrespectful, and you can choose not to buy a copy, or even look at it - and the great thing is, it has absolutely positively no bearing whatsoever on the original.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I'm going to have to somewhat disagree with that, I'm afraid.

If you or I write a bad piece of fan-fic, that analogy is absolutely apt.

If Bezos spends a bajillion Amazon dollars to jam this thing into the eyeballs of everyone on the planet, with tons of paid lackeys swooning this is the Mona Lisa...

... that's kind of a different animal altogether.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree as well.

To follow your analogy, it would be like Bezos replacing the true Mona Lisa with what you call Mustache Lisa, insisting it was the original, hiring a bunch of art experts to push his position and then attacking life-long admirers who point out the obvious.

To be fair, nobody has seen an episode yet. As I've said, I'm going to give it a chance--probably several.

But fairness works both ways.

To that end, what little that I have seen concerns me.