Dunedain Puuko WIP

For discussion of Dunedain culture, what it might have looked like and how it worked.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Dunedain Puuko WIP

Post by caedmon »

Over on Discord, the subject of Puukos came up. So I posted this WIP I teased in my Bree Knife set.

Since the cat's out of the bag I figured I'd do a writeup here.

So this was the Puuko that Farodel gave me back in the 2016 Yule Gift Exchange It was my EDC for about 3 years, and then it disappeared. I found it the next spring, my kid had taken it fishing and left it in a tackle box over winter. When I found it the next spring the it was a rusted mess, and the handle had delaminated and was ruined. But it was a favorite knife.

So I rebuilt it and I went full dunedain with it. I have been trying to figure out how to do that for a while but with the penannular brooch I designed was so well recieved I decided to try some more of the Professor's Numenorean Doodles.

Here is the weformed sheath, I still need to do the metalwork & decoration. And I need to do a viking style ring for the pommel cap.
puuko1.jpg
puuko1.jpg (168.97 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
This side has a cult of Narsil motif on an antler shield. The Narsil here is inspired by some John Howe sketches and some Mycenaen swords I saw in Greece. The scrollwork is a Tolkien Doodle plant motif.
puuko2.jpg
puuko2.jpg (132.78 KiB) Viewed 4582 times

This side has a Meneltarma motif on an antler shield. I know there was no building on Meneltarma, but it's been 300 years. The scrollwork is a Tolkien Doodle wave motif.
puuko3.jpg
puuko3.jpg (131.05 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Dunedain Puuko WIP

Post by Elleth »

Oh that is just lovely! I really like the swell and antler work at the back - very cool!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Simply wonderful. If I ever get my puukko project back off the ground I'll be looking at this one for influence for sure! Great job!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Exactly the sort of decoration I would expect to see on a everyday utility knife. Well done!
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That is absolutely beautiful :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Very nice!