What brings you here?

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: What brings you here?

Post by Cimrandir »

With the short but painful creak of the door being opened, the eyes of the small group were drawn to a new figure that had entered the Pony. A tall man with a shaggy mane of dark hair dressed in his worn traveling clothes shook off the remaining drizzle that had begun outside. The only small gleam on his person was a tarnished brooch pinning his fringed cloak that kept the September chill at bay. Upon removing his cap and looking around the small parlor, his face split into a wide grin as he made his way to the table where Tauran, Ursus, and Eofor sat. He motioned a hand to Barliman in greeting and then waved a finger to summon a mug.

"Well well, this is a strange sight indeed. Three Rangers at the Pony on the same night? We'll have the townsfolk talking for the next year, we will" he announced in a broad voice.

"Hullo, Cim. Sharp your ears must be indeed as we were just discussing your travels of late."

At this greeting from Eofor, Cimrandir turned his head to face the man squarely.

"Eofor! Well met indeed! It's been far too long since we last broke bread together. Near a year, I believe? Has the Road been treating you well?"

"Well enough I suppose but ill tidings of late has made traveling all the more dangerous. I bring word from your friend Menelik in Harad. He hasn't anything new come across his table since last you spoke to him," Eofor answered.

With a sigh, Cimrandir replied, "It was a fool's hope in any case I suppose. Relics from old Arnor are becoming more and more scarce as the years trudge onwards. Either they've begun to fall into dust or they've continued ever further south into Harad as the spoils of the wealthy lords. What of your ... secondary reason?"

"Your timing is impeccable as I was just telling your brethren here of what I saw. The armies of Harad have begun to rise. Agitators and war-mongers have begun to beat the drum of war and the people are listening. Such a shame their leaders have brought them to this point as I recall fondly the days of old when one could travel more openly in the South. Mind you, I've no great love of that people since the Long WInter but individually they've done me well enough. They've always been quick to fight but they'd fight with you as soon as against you, laughing in joy and passion all the way. But great poisons have been whispered into their ears and I fear that the tide has begun to turn against the North even more than usual."

With this, the face of Cimrandir fell into a grimace. "I feared as much." Turning to the others, he asked."I assume ill tidings from your travels as well?"

"Aye," replied Ursus, "Far too many unfamiliar men traveling this lands without purpose for my liking. And with this news about Arag- Strider I mean, it seems strange and perhaps dangerous days are upon us."

The scowl on the newly arrived Ranger's face darkened even further. "Well, I have no news of joy myself. Just the opposite, in fact. I've been tending to my livestock and fields these past few months trying to prepare for this winter-" -a brief glance to Eofor as he spoke - "Wildewyn continues to do well, by the by, Eofor. My wife and I still thank you for blessing our home with her. But as the harvest is in and the seasons are changing, I thought it wise to get out into the wild to see what's been afoot of late. No sooner than I had set off, Halbarad hisself rode up. He didn't have much time nor much to say other than to spread the word to gather at Sarn Ford mounted and ready for a fight. Something to do with riding east he said. I told him that not all of us were fortunate enough to own a horse and then right away he threw a bag full of coin to me and rode off! So here I am, apparently to buy a horse and raise the hue and cry."

Tauran and Ursus both leaned back at hearing this news, displeasure clearly etched on their faces.

"I assume this Halbarad is a chieftain of yours, Cim?" Eofor asked.

"Chieftain, no. Captain, yes. I've only met him twice before as he stays busy waging war upon the trolls and orcs hereabouts. I'm not much a warrior myself but it seems I'm getting dragged into this regardless. I need to talk to Caedmon or that trader from Dale about getting my hands on some weapons. I've really only got my bow and that’s for hunting things softer than orc hide. My knife was made for eating, not war."

For the first time since Cim has arrived, Tauran spoke. "I fear we shall all see too much of brutality and savageness before this business is over. I think it unlikely that you shall walk amongst the ruins of Arnor anytime soon, young iorengollon."

"Aye, I suppose it might be a while at that."
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

"Still, if Halbarad calls for haste, haste he shall have. You will find no bow suitable for sale here. These folk wouldn't know what a real bow is...and these newcomers are liable to sell you a bent stick for the price of a sword."

He reached behind his chair into the corner where he had laid his gear and drew from it three long bright shafts tipped with keen iron tips that squared off before coming together sharply to a point. Their brown fletchings were surrounded with equally dark brown dye around the nocks that had been carved into the ends.

"Take these for a start. If things go as planned and we reconvene at the ford, I will try to resupply and have more for you. In the meantime, I can spare these. Buy your horse, and then straightaway make for my homestead. You remember where it is?" Cimrandir nodded. "Check on my family, and take a bow. You'll find a few tucked beneath the thatching just inside the doorway."

He eyed Ursus. "This level of urgency I've not ever heard of among our folk. Halbarad calls for us to ride east, and war prepares (or indeed has come) to it. And Strider has left Bree with shire-folk. Alas, that we would be here with so many pieces of a puzzle and yet no answers. It appears that we are to make war. On who? The Southrons? Orcs? And with how many? How many will we and Halbarad find before he chooses to leave?"

He sighed.
"You have Rangers near to hand, do you not? How soon can you raise them and hie to the fords?"

He paused. "...and do you still carry an Eket? Cimrandir will need more than an eating knife before long, I fear."
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ursus
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Ursus »

“Alas I have have not but a common knife aside from my own sword…” began Ursus.

Taur reached smoothly behind him and drew forth a fine seax, stout, single edged, and a veteran of many adventures and began to hand it to Cimrandir.

“Hold friend” said Urus laying two fingers on Taur’s arm. “As luck would have it I have with me a new forged short sword from my own forge that I had thought to sell at the market for additional supplies. Good steel is wasted on any of the locals here though. Allow me a moment to fetch it from my quarters.” He said and slipped from the room returning a moment later carrying a plain short sword with a scabbard and belt and passed it to Cimrandir.

Cimrandir’s eyes widened. “Thank you my friend, I owe you a debt.

“Use it in defense of those who have none and the debt is paid” said Ursus with a nod.

“As to available Rangers” he paused in thought. “I can gather five Rangers in haste, perhaps more given the time, and yet some must remain to keep watch on our homesteads and keep up patrols. Is Ned Houndswood about by chance? He is known to our folk and could get a message to my home summoning all those available to the ford.
"Lonely men are we, Rangers of the wild, hunters – but hunters ever of the servants of the Enemy."

“My cuts, short or long, don’t go wrong.”
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

The Dunedain seemed to have momentarily forgotten him in their haste to make plans which suited Eofor for the moment.
How he admired these Northmen! Not a hour before they had been enjoying rest and food and yet now they were galvanised, all action and decisiveness but his own head was spinning and he needed time to think.

Everything was happening so quickly, clearly something great was afoot and he half expected all three of of his companions to leap out the door and into action at any moment.

He looked at Cimrandir and wondered how old the lad was, how old any of them were.
Eofor was old now, he knew that he didn’t look it and perhaps that was from his mothers side but he was well past his sixtieth name day. A life of hardship could have that effect on a person, either age them before their time or give them a vigour beyond their years.
In the forty years he had wandered he had lived a life of means and though he had slept in his fair share of wilderness he had rarely gone without food or warmth.

He had known kinship in these lands and in the lands East of the mountains. There were many villages and homesteads where his name was spoken with respect and he was a welcome guest. He had fought and warred to defend this land and it’s people but an idea, nothing more than a fledgling ember thad been growing in him these past few weeks as he journeyed north was now smouldering.

Taurans words spoken that day on the road came back to him

‘Oaths have a way of fulfilling themselves, I have found, or presenting new opportunities. An oath taken in your youth may yet work itself out’

The idea burst into bright flame in his mind. He knew what he must do.

Eofor? He was roused from his thoughts by Ursus gently shaking his arm. Are you okay my friend?

Roused from his reverie Eofor realised that all three were looking at him with grave concern at the same time as he realised that tears were running down his cheeks.

He pushed Ursus’ hand gently aside and stood to unbuckle his sword belt. He wrapped the belt around the scabbard before holding it out to Cimrandir who sat mute and unmoving.

‘This blade was given me by Aranath who claimed that he had taken it from a young Ranger who had carelessly left it in his wet baggage overnight’
(He thought he saw Tauran grimace)

‘Why are you giving it to me?’ said Cimrandir ‘you will have need of it yoursel…..’

‘There is another that has been prepared for me’

Cimrandir’s eyes grew wide

‘You don’t mean?’

‘I do…. for like you I believe that war is already upon us. It is in Gondor that the hammer shall fall and they shall call for the oath of Eorl to be fulfilled’

‘Meaning your own oath becomes secondary?’ asked Ursus

‘No, but It shall make me an oathbreaker if I return or not. If I am to be damned then let it be in defence of my own home’

‘Now quickly good fellows, finish your planning for by morning we shall part with only small chance to meet again by moon or sun. I would enjoy this night of company and friendship with old friends and new’
Last edited by Eofor on Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Eofor Epilogue

Eofor strode out of the town in the pre-dawn light. Bert Nettles cowered away from him in a most satisfying way as he passed the gate which lifted his spirits for the long journey ahead.

First the long road over the Misty mountains to the Ravens Wing. He hadn't bothered looking for a horse in Bree knowing that the Rangers would need the best of them, his legs would have to do until he found one.

He thought of the three Rangers as he walked, each unique in their own way, tall Ursus of the great sword, his friend Seolforbrocc the Iorengollon and the enigmatic Taurandir. They were all so alike and yet so different, a company of noble hearts united in common purpose.

He said a small prayer to his ancestors for the head of his friend Ursus. The revel had gone on into the night, Eofor had emptied his purse and the Pony had been flooded by locals enticed by the prospect of free drinks and food. It was like old times and the four companions had laughed and joked until even the taciturn Tauran had dropped his guard. Eofor had seen this before in men setting off on campaign, a celebration of life before an uncertain future.

He knew their tale would continue forward from this day in great deeds of fire and steel but finally his own road was clear. At long last he was going home.
Last edited by Eofor on Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Tauran Epilogue

Eofor woke to a largely empty inn.

The companions had enjoyed a final farewell feast at the inn, but they could not rest easily. The haste in Halbarad's request and the urgency conveyed by Cimrandir's eyes could not be ignored. They slept for an hour...no more than two, and then Tauran roused them. Ursus had a mount nearby already, and quickly left to gather the rest of his party. Tauran and Cimrandir took a bit longer in finding suitable Horses in the nearby farmlands...they had to move along for a fair bit on foot before they got far enough away from town to find locals not trying to oversell underfed animals. At questions regarding the nature of their errand, they could only say that "time is of the essence" and move on.

They came mounted to the Gate and prepared to part ways.

"Head straight east through town. Come south at the end of the South Downs and hit the River Mitheithel just south of where it connects with the Bruinen. You'll find my family and a few others there. Get what you need, then ride hard south and wait at the crossing at Tharbad. If you see evidence that we've already been by, follow as best you can, but you may be able to stay ahead. I'm heading straight for the Ford. If more help is needed, the sooner we're informed the better."

He paused thoughtfully, then smiled.

"I wonder if the time for secrecy is over. Once you leave the angle, ride openly, and let all foes cower!"

He pulled his cloak back over his left shoulder, revealing a bright silver star pinning the folds back. It glinted in the pale moonlight of the pre-dawn.

"I trust that our paths will meet again. Farewell, and fear no darkness!"

They parted with a firm handshake and quickly churned up the mud and turf of their separate roadways, drawing more than a casual glance from early-rising onlookers.

Tauran pressed his mount hard down the Greenway, and was sharply reminded of his pleasant walk with Eofor the day before...perhaps never to be again. He whispered under his breath as he rode. "Westu hál. Ferðu, Eofor, Ferðu." He rode south until the Barrows to his right began to level off into the plains. He took a hard right and cut the corner off of the roadways, making for a gap in a distant treeline that followed the lush banks of the Brandywine. That gap was known to him; it marked the crossing.

After some hours, he approached the ford in the fullness of a morning sunrise. He slowed at a distance, and raised his right hand in welcome and peace for any who might see him coming. As the ford came into view, three figures barred his way. He dismounted, and approached on foot with his hands held out at his sides, palms up, until in the shadows of the trees, he recognized the face of Halbarad and Two elves. As his eyes adjusted to the light, more became visible on the Western Bank; a dozen at least, all in Grey.

Halbarad smiled grimly, clutching a pole bound tightly. "Welcome."

Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Cimrandir Epilogue

Cimrandir padded steadily next to the horse Halbarad's coin had bought. Despite being the best of few options, she was an older mare and he wanted to take extra care of her at the beginning of his journey. There was no sense in running her into the ground before need required it. Besides, he was still young and the exercise eased the small headache from one too many cups of ale the night before.

If he were to admit it to himself the constant motion of striding through the wild warded off the fear as well. He could count on one hand the number of times he had fought the enemy and all but one of them had been almost a trifling matter. A handful of orcs or the occasional ruffian was a far cry from what was on the horizon. The urgency of Halbarad's summons and the serious conversation with Eofor and the other Dúnedain the night before had settled into his stomach like a lead ingot. Without even thinking of it, his off-hand tightened around the grip of the sword at his waist. He recalled his youth spent sparring with his father and brothers and of the skirmishes between his little group and those of his cousins, uncles and neighbors. Exciting action as a youth but it trained into them the skills needed to survive and kill. He had trained with Ursus a few times but it had been a long time since their last session together and he hoped his hands still remembered the way of the sword. He'd mostly neglected the sparring in favor of working with his bow.

It was a princely gift for Eofor to offer the sword to him in his hour of need. Truth be told, he'd never expected to need one and yet it seems life had a way of making a fool of most folk. He wondered everyday how he had managed to earn the friendship of the old warrior.

After about three days traveling, he arrived at Tauran's homestead in the late afternoon. Greeting Tauran's wife and children, he explained in short terse sentences the reason for his arrival. Remembering days past when he had drifted into their home to a warm meal and a cot to sleep on, he wished he could stay longer but duty demanded all speed. As Tauran's wife settled the children, he gathered the bow and a linen sack of heavy war shafts.

"Oh, Cim, before you go, I've got something we've been saving for you. It's from last winter's end but since it's been so long since you've visited, it's just been sitting on the shelf," Tauran's wife said when she returned.

She handed him a small clay pot with the lid tied tightly on with cord. Undoing the knots, he lifted the top to catch a whiff of a sweet scent.

"It's a sweet syrup that we harvested. Goes well with your oats or on a slice of bread. Something to make your travels a little more homely"

Unbidden, tears welled up in the corner of his eyes. First the sword, then the bow, and now this. He didn't know what he did to have such good friends but it warmed his spirit. With such dark days looming, the small kindness struck him even deeper. Fear and worry's grip on his heart loosened just a tad.

"Thank you, ma'am. I appreciate the kindness. I'll be sure to share with Ursus and Tauran when we meet up again."

"Be sure you do."

With a fond farewell, Cimrandir strode out into the gathering dusk. Mounting his horse, he wheeled her head toward the trail. He'd begin gathering rangers at Manveruon's place. Last Cim had heard, Manv was tending to his crops as well. He knew Manveruon was an unofficial leader of a little band and that he'd be a good start to spreading the call to the ford.

Cimrandir knew that his world was about to change. Now that he was properly on the path, his mind settled on the quest entrusted to him and his nerves steadied. Whatever came in the days ahead, he knew that with his brethren Tauran, Ursus, Eofor and all the rest by his side, that things might just turn out well in the end. After all, hope burns an eternal flame and he knew that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain