The Pennsic War

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

The Pennsic War

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Have any of you participated in the Pennsic War? I've never been to that one. I've been to the big paintball games but not the same. Ig uess it's supposed to be 10,000 people or so. I'm sure those of you in Europe have some bigger ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLX9SDJRggQ
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Yavion

Re: The Pennsic War

Post by Yavion »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:31 pm Have any of you participated in the Pennsic War? I've never been to that one. I've been to the big paintball games but not the same. I guess it's supposed to be 10,000 people or so. I'm sure those of you in Europe have some bigger ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLX9SDJRggQ
I've never been to Pennsic, but I went to the SCA's 30 Year Celebration which was also a longer event and had several thousand attendees and have acquaintances that have attended Pennsic.
I'll be honest, the SCA in my opinion has not been able to move with the times and evolve in ways that would benefit it. I quit it a while ago. So if something like this interests you, Go for it! Just realize that, in the times post plague, it may wind up feeling like an overly martial focused ren faire. Not that that's a bad thing, but it's not what stories may lead you to think of when they talk about SCA glory days.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I went to two of them about 20 years ago. Didn't stay for the war as I had a long drive and had to be back at work Monday. I remember a lot of courses you could attend and a lot of vendors. I piggybacked with friends who were vending and actually sold more goods than they did. My brother and I got hooked up with so siege engine makers and played with some of their toys for a while, then shot some rounds in an archery contest. If you're going with a group of friends, you should have fun. If going alone no so much.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I think the trick with the SCA is to think of it as a geek party that happens to have a medieval flavor, rather than strict medievalists/medieval reenactors per se.

Which is not say you can't find super-dedicated scholars and artisans and so forth there - you absolutely can! It's just that they're a big tent, and that's not where their center of gravity is.

It's not personally my thing, but it might absolutely be yours. You almost certainly have an SCA group near you: I'd say go to a couple meetings, maybe a local event - if you enjoy it, you'll probably enjoy Pennsic.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Gotta say, this seems like my own personal hellscape honestly. I don't do well with crowds so having that many people all together in such a whirlwind of different activities seems like a recipe for personal disaster. I'd much rather sit down with a mug of dark brew with a few friends for long discussions and conversations over a fire. I'm sure Pennsic appeals to other folk so if you end up going, I'd love to see photos!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Ben Sinister

Post by Ben Sinister »

I've been to many pennsics, and plan to continue.

I would say that there is certainly much to learn as long as you are able to pick through various sca-isms. The combat is very sca specific, but there are also classes on medieval sword play as well, and there is much growth in the studying of the medieval manuals.

There are plant walks to learn herb craft, many, many classes on everything from bagpipe playing to cheesemaking, basket making, endless clothing making classes, coin minting blacksmithing and on and on. There are several forges set up that if you make friends, you can visit and learn. I've made several set of turnshoes in the classes and you walk out in a new pair of shoes. You pay for materials, and attend for usually 3 sessions or so and have a set of shoes, and the knowledge to make more.

There are several taverns set up many with a real tolkenesque feel to them. Many roads lit by torchlight where you can easily be hit by those magical moments where for just a split second, you actually feel like you are somewhere else, some other time. Sounds silly I know, but it's a real thing and everyone has experienced it at one time or another.

Night time tends to be a big drunken party, but you can avoid much of it easily enough, and there are many camps where you can sit and have a home made ale by a fire and listen to stories or live music. You can sit in the battle field and watch the light of a hundred fires fill the sky.

Your ranger kit would fit in fine, but be aware swords are almost never carried, for various reasons. Everyone does have a knife.

I would be happy to answer any questions, but to be honest, nothing I can say can really prepare you for it. For the most part, you are in control of your experience, and you choose the type of pennicn you have.....weather depending of course.

This picture is from pennsic.
Attachments
8fd93983a8848b77c23c303b015de7f5--camping.jpg
8fd93983a8848b77c23c303b015de7f5--camping.jpg (9.45 KiB) Viewed 4418 times
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Ben Sinister wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:50 pm Your ranger kit would fit in fine, but be aware swords are almost never carried, for various reasons. Everyone does have a knife.
West Coast SCAdians would tend to disagree, at least circa AS30 ;)

Joking aside, I'd be tempted back to the SCA if I thought I could capture that kind of magic. My last few years of attempting to participate had been.... less than stellar. More power to those who really enjoy it, though!
Ben Sinister

Post by Ben Sinister »

Yavion wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:03 pm
Ben Sinister wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:50 pm Your ranger kit would fit in fine, but be aware swords are almost never carried, for various reasons. Everyone does have a knife.
Which part?
The kit, the sword or the knife? :-)
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Ben Sinister wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:06 pm
Yavion wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:03 pm
Which part?
The kit, the sword or the knife? :-)
I'm so sorry, I was completely unclear there! I meant the sword. I played hard between AS28-36 in An-Tir and everyone that could afford a sword rocked one.
I agree completely on your other notes. Ranger gear of the sort most of us wear on here would blend just fine, minus the more obvious leaves and trees, and no one will take a second glance at a knife.
Ben Sinister

Post by Ben Sinister »

No worries, I kind of guessed that's the one you meant.

There's certainly nothing wrong with a sword at pennsic, but I guess most folks find them cumbersome after a while. Much the same as you wouldn't carry a bow there unless you were on the way to the range, but if you had one, no one would care.

I tend to bring a sword along, and often my bow and sometimes my throwing axes, but they usually stay in the tent.

I suppose the best analogy for pennsic is if you imagined your ranger staying at a fair for a few days. Vendors, food, games tournaments etc. All in all I feel there's a place and good reason for anyone here to attend if they feel inclined.