A Rangers diet; Cuisine in Tolkiens world

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Re: A Rangers diet; Cuisine in Tolkiens world

Post by Desert Loon »

On a couple of my lunch break picnics I have cooked a porridge that I like to call "Ranger Burgoo." It's coarse-ground oats and dried peas. Usually I cook my oatmeal with rosemary and sage, and I earnestly recommend that you all try that. For this "burgoo" I've been mixing in Knorr tomato broth with a seasoning mix I made with paprika and herbs.

I've always liked split pea soup, but split peas can take a long time to cook, especially when they get old. When I grind them into meal then even if the pea particles don't exactly get soft by the time the oats get done, then at least their stiffness doesn't distract or distress me, and the pea flavor agrees well with the oat.

Here's a batch of it I cooked at the Utah Ren Fest earlier this month, while I was up there performing with my band. No, it doesn't look all that good, but it's a nice portable non-perishable balanced one-pot meal.
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)