Clothes vs Costume

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: Clothes vs Costume

Post by Cimrandir »

Cortharyn wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:26 pm
I'm glad I found this forum.
By the by, welcome to the forum Cortharyn! Your posts on Facebook are always illuminating so I'm excited to see you here!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Cortharyn
Wayfarer

Post by Cortharyn »

Cimrandir wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:14 pm
Cortharyn wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:26 pm
I'm glad I found this forum.
By the by, welcome to the forum Cortharyn! Your posts on Facebook are always illuminating so I'm excited to see you here!
Thanks. I'm glad those Facebook posts are well received. I'm excited to be here.
I am the weapon
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Cortharyn wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:18 pm Thanks for the detailed answer. I only have one kit. I keep everything necessary for survival on my belts. I keep the extra amenities you mentioned (hygiene, a bowl and such in a pack). In the wild I carry the pack until I set camp. Then I can scout with just what's on my belts. When we go to Ren faires I just leave the pack in the truck. What kind of pouches do you use? I have drawstring pouches that are secure and hold much. But they bounce around more than I'd like. So far they are my best option. As the flap type pouches that I have and have had in the past are just not secure.
For fairs and Larps and such I use drawstring pounches, or small leather pouches. I attach them with loops at more than one point so they don't flop around so much. Top/Bottom or Left/Right connections.

When I'm not at a fair I use Phone cases on my belt for each kit. I often teach people what to put in packs and such and I found it easier to teach them in terms of kits / mission. Fire kit, Chow kit, Navigation, communication, etc. etc. Figure out which kits you need, then decide if you need a small version or a larger version of it. All depends on mission be it a recon, or a day at Renfest. Once people figure out the kits and the location they need them, it's easier to put it on belts or in a pack.

Now I was telling Iodo that I have another part of my costume kit I don't talk about. In cold weather, I keep a rectangular tarp attached to the back of my frock/duster, etc. right behind my butt on the outside. If I have to sit down in snow or rain it provides cushion and keeps me dry. If I need additional shelter, I can unfold it and use it as such.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Cortharyn
Wayfarer

Post by Cortharyn »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:03 am
Cortharyn wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:18 pm Thanks for the detailed answer. I only have one kit. I keep everything necessary for survival on my belts. I keep the extra amenities you mentioned (hygiene, a bowl and such in a pack). In the wild I carry the pack until I set camp. Then I can scout with just what's on my belts. When we go to Ren faires I just leave the pack in the truck. What kind of pouches do you use? I have drawstring pouches that are secure and hold much. But they bounce around more than I'd like. So far they are my best option. As the flap type pouches that I have and have had in the past are just not secure.
For fairs and Larps and such I use drawstring pounches, or small leather pouches. I attach them with loops at more than one point so they don't flop around so much. Top/Bottom or Left/Right connections.

When I'm not at a fair I use Phone cases on my belt for each kit. I often teach people what to put in packs and such and I found it easier to teach them in terms of kits / mission. Fire kit, Chow kit, Navigation, communication, etc. etc. Figure out which kits you need, then decide if you need a small version or a larger version of it. All depends on mission be it a recon, or a day at Renfest. Once people figure out the kits and the location they need them, it's easier to put it on belts or in a pack.

Now I was telling Iodo that I have another part of my costume kit I don't talk about. In cold weather, I keep a rectangular tarp attached to the back of my frock/duster, etc. right behind my butt on the outside. If I have to sit down in snow or rain it provides cushion and keeps me dry. If I need additional shelter, I can unfold it and use it as such.
What size are the phone pouches? Do you have a picture of them? I have a tarp I wear on a belt under my pack. Having it on a belt helps distribute the weight of the pack. Also I can take it with me when I leave the pack behind. If the situation calls for it. I'll attempt to post a pic of the tarp under the pack.
Tarp .jpg
Tarp .jpg (166.52 KiB) Viewed 3839 times
I am the weapon
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Cortharyn wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:45 pm What size are the phone pouches? Do you have a picture of them? I have a tarp I wear on a belt under my pack. Having it on a belt helps distribute the weight of the pack. Also I can take it with me when I leave the pack behind. If the situation calls for it. I'll attempt to post a pic of the tarp under the pack. Tarp .jpg
The tarp is about 1 square foot folded. The phone cases are small and like I said, I don't use the phone case in a larp of fair. Height and width for flip phone, but thicker so I could fit 2 flip phones. They are ideal size for small kits. Not to get too far off topic but...
Phone Case.jpg
Phone Case.jpg (127.65 KiB) Viewed 3824 times
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Yavion

Post by Yavion »

Eofor wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:33 am Everything Greg said.

And +1for sleeping sitting upright. On a canoe trip recently we abandoned our 'comfy' shelter to sit propped against a bank near the fire and were much more comfortable. If you haven't tried it then I recommend it.
Just wanted to add a note to the sitting-up sleeping: I too enjoy it, but one should be considerate of their circulation. Sleeping with your torso upright and your feet too low can cause circulatory issues. If you may suffer from such things, snug socks or compression socks designed for diabetics and frequent air travelers can help.