New Member - Thanks for having me

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Hound

New Member - Thanks for having me

Post by Hound »

Good morrow all. Just wanted to say thanks for allowing me to join. I've done a fair bit of trekking, mainly in a 18th century Scottish Highlander persona (courtesy of Tom Langhorne's influence) but I've dabbled in medieval type reenactment / trekking as well. There's some amazing information here.
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: New Member - Thanks for having me

Post by Cimrandir »

Mae govannen! Welcome to the forum!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Togon
Dúnadan

Post by Togon »

Welcome ranger! Enjoy! Its a fun community. Maybe you could still incorperate some of your highland gear into your persona? That'd be cool for a northerner!
‘If by your carelessness you wish to do our enemies work then you may as well carry one of his brands’
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Welcome, Ranger!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Another new member? Goodness something must be in the water.

Welcome aboard, can't wait to see some of your exploits.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Welcome Ranger.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Welcome :P

Hound wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:55 am I've done a fair bit of trekking, mainly in a 18th century Scottish Highlander persona (courtesy of Tom Langhorne's influence)

His channel is one of my favourites, he done so much stuff that can easily be applied to any fantasy or re-enactment persona, not just highlanders
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Well met and welcome!

... and yes, Tom does some great work. I'm kinda jealous of those highlands he (and Iodo) gets to tromp through. :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Iodo, yours is helpful as well. For some reason, it never occurred to me to do fasteners the way you show instead of buttons. It made life incredibly easier.
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Hound wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:02 am Iodo, yours is helpful as well. For some reason, it never occurred to me to do fasteners the way you show instead of buttons. It made life incredibly easier.

glad I could help :P

Elleth wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:47 am ... and yes, Tom does some great work. I'm kinda jealous of those highlands he (and Iodo) gets to tromp through. :mrgreen:

Not nearly as often as I would like tho...
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

Highlander clothing is a lot of fun, and more comfortable than I would have thought. I for one would be glad to see pictures of your kit and read more about how you put it together. I wonder about how it could be adapted to Middle-earth reenactment since it's so specific to time and place, but then who's to say others couldn't have come up with the idea of using a really big piece of cloth in such an ingenious and elegant way?
Tom was the catalyst for me getting my kilt as well (just last year). I'd wear it every day if I could!
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)