"Unpacked" Video Series

MiddleEarthRangers.org has graciously provided this space for the Middle Earth Reenactment Society for purposes of archiving/presenting their newsletter, and to keep our community informed on Society-specific happenings.

Moderator: Greg

Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: "Unpacked" Video Series

Post by Greg »

Our next installment is online! We're moving on from main packs to belts, with more topics on the way!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1vssEG ... yv54AaABAg
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Watched it the second it hit Facebook. Excellent job on the video. I really like this quiet and unassuming breakdown format MERS has developed for the videos. Though I must say this one seemed a little fuzzy? Probably just a lighting issue.

I'm curious what improvements or changes you have in mind for the Mk. II version you mentioned in the "What's everyone working on?" thread. As per usual for my stupid ADHD brain, I've decided to completely overhaul my plan for the belt pouch I'm working on (no more cordwork decoration planned!) and would love to see how your experience has influenced your pouch design.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Awesome video Greg!
Frodo lives!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

I really like that simple two point scabbard suspension, just what I've been looking for.

And most excellent pocket junk!
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Cimrandir wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:11 am Watched it the second it hit Facebook. Excellent job on the video. I really like this quiet and unassuming breakdown format MERS has developed for the videos. Though I must say this one seemed a little fuzzy? Probably just a lighting issue.
Humidity. There's some blurriness on the right-hand-side early on in the video that clears up. Good old midwestern US humidity. Grrr.
I'm curious what improvements or changes you have in mind for the Mk. II version you mentioned in the "What's everyone working on?" thread. As per usual for my stupid ADHD brain, I've decided to completely overhaul my plan for the belt pouch I'm working on (no more cordwork decoration planned!) and would love to see how your experience has influenced your pouch design
As with most of the design changes I've made over the years, I wanted just. enough. capacity to be able to have an all-in-one solution that's not crazy big or in the way, but definitely easy to access. As simple as that sounds, I've never really had a good belt pouch that wasn't a need-wallet. I'll be making a good-old-fashioned post with photos about the new pouch here shortly (remember those?!), but I borrowed a few elements from Elleth's, notably the slit/carrying capacity in the top flap, which is where I've stowed my flint & steel. My reasoning for moving away from storing it in my big tinderbox was that it just took too long to get out...I'd much rather be able to just whip it out and spark a piece of charred cloth quickly.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Very nice!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Greg wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:43 am
Cimrandir wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:11 am Watched it the second it hit Facebook. Excellent job on the video. I really like this quiet and unassuming breakdown format MERS has developed for the videos. Though I must say this one seemed a little fuzzy? Probably just a lighting issue.
Humidity. There's some blurriness on the right-hand-side early on in the video that clears up. Good old midwestern US humidity. Grrr.
I'm curious what improvements or changes you have in mind for the Mk. II version you mentioned in the "What's everyone working on?" thread. As per usual for my stupid ADHD brain, I've decided to completely overhaul my plan for the belt pouch I'm working on (no more cordwork decoration planned!) and would love to see how your experience has influenced your pouch design
As with most of the design changes I've made over the years, I wanted just. enough. capacity to be able to have an all-in-one solution that's not crazy big or in the way, but definitely easy to access. As simple as that sounds, I've never really had a good belt pouch that wasn't a need-wallet. I'll be making a good-old-fashioned post with photos about the new pouch here shortly (remember those?!), but I borrowed a few elements from Elleth's, notably the slit/carrying capacity in the top flap, which is where I've stowed my flint & steel. My reasoning for moving away from storing it in my big tinderbox was that it just took too long to get out...I'd much rather be able to just whip it out and spark a piece of charred cloth quickly.
Ah, I see! This is the new pouch then. I mistakenly thought this was the first edition. Very cool.

I had fallen into the trap of both over-engineering the pouch and attempting to stuff too much into it. I've backed off into a more simple design focused on just the fire kit and hopefully down the road some Middle-earth appropriate coinage. Glad to see your experience has lined up with my thought process. One of these blasted days I'll finish this thing.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Rockfarm
Wayfarer

Post by Rockfarm »

This series is a joy to watch!
Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall...
Greg

Post by Greg »

Today we're keeping it going with a look at a Ranger's quiver, Bow, and Arrows. Some of this has been seen before here on the forum, but there are some brand new tidbits as well, including a new bow and a new method for carrying it. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/AI1Q_BL3YvI
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Outstanding Greg!
Frodo lives!
MiketheBlacksmith
Wanderer

Post by MiketheBlacksmith »

Thanks for another great video. Love the detail.
Eothain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Eothain »

Loved it keep the videos coming!

Your bow harnessed perfectly on your quiver is super satisfying! Awesome set up.
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.
Greg

Post by Greg »

For those who are following along, we're starting to cover bedrolls now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PogjSJGs6g&t=116s
MiketheBlacksmith
Wanderer

Post by MiketheBlacksmith »

Thanks for the heads-up. Another great video.
The more you see the more you learn.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I love the "apples for walking!"

... and wrapping them up in all that is a nice trick to make sure they last longer than the first half mile! :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.