"Is Aragorn's Bow Medieval?"--[Video]

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Harper
Haeropada

"Is Aragorn's Bow Medieval?"--[Video]

Post by Harper »

https://youtu.be/WcGW3_cDIKo

Obviously, the title reference is to the movie and not the cannon of text.

I still thought it was interesting enough to post.

As an aside, can somebody tell me why we can't embed youtube videos anymore? I don't believe that I am doing anything wrond.
Eofor
Haeropada

Re: "Is Aragorn's Bow Medieval?"--[Video]

Post by Eofor »

Thanks for sharing, I went and added a comment about two small complete finds from the early medieval period. I notice Iodo was there in the comments as well!
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Eofor wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:37 am Thanks for sharing, I went and added a comment about two small complete finds from the early medieval period. I notice Iodo was there in the comments as well!
If you could post links to these please?
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

I'm surprised that I don't seem to have shared these in the past.

Apologies for the facebook link - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 460&type=3
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Fantastic, thank you.

Interesting that both bows are around four feet long.
In my very old copy of Lofty Wiseman's "SAS Survival Manual" he talks about making an improvised hunting bow from a stave that measures from the hip to the opposite outstretched hand, which on an average man is about four feet.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

The size belies the strength, even visually they look rather puny but they hit quite hard.

And experience has shown they are far easier to carry and traverse heavy brush with.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Small bows by their nature tend towards heavier draw weights...takes quite a puny looking bow to get down to the same weight as something 60+" long!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:37 am Thanks for sharing, I went and added a comment about two small complete finds from the early medieval period. I notice Iodo was there in the comments as well!
Yep, it's a great video :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I’ve always been enamored with short bows like this, I’m just terrified of over-drawing them and having them fail spectacularly. That being said, I suppose having appropriately sized arrows negates that issue, I just don’t have any idea how to adjust things like the anchor point on a draw that short.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains