Captured Easterling Blade

This section is for reviews of stuff that is commonly available, or from a vendor that has more to get. New sword from Albion, or Windlass? Great. Leather work or cloak from a vendor or another board member who has hung out her shingle? Excellent. Discussion of the finer points of the arrows you just made. Not so much. Put that it in the Weapons & Armor Section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Captured Easterling Blade

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Jack wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:31 am "Reaver" cleaver? "Shiny"? Are those Firefly references? Miss that show...
I don't know but it may even have been used in the final fight of Serinity when River was fighting them; or maybe it was another zombie tool. I guess I need to pull it out and watch it.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Looks like an excellent choice of sword for you! I agree with a lot of other folks here, it definitely seems to fit the bill as an archer’s falchion, which was common in at least during 100 Years War, I believe. Seems like it would make a really solid side-arm for a Ranger of Gondor as well. I feel like the Professor had a very strong inclination towards straight, double-edged swords for his heroes, and something of an aversion to single-edged weapons. I don’t necessarily have any textual evidence for this, just a general sort of hunch - probably based on the fact that he framed his heroes in similar terms to medieval European knights and Anglo-Saxon warlords, while the villains of his stories had a more “Eastern” vibe in general (lots to unpack here of course, but it is what it is), and I sort of feel like a lot of folks see single-edged or curved swords as a mainly Eastern design, not being prevalent in Western Europe (even though that certainly wasn’t always the case, and we obviously see a lot of single-edged weapons throughout the Middle Ages in Europe). So yeah, whether it’s a captured Easterling sword or even just an unusual Gondorian design, I totally think a falchion like this fits the bill! Looks like a beautiful sword!

And since someone else mentioned Matt Easton, I thought this might be relevant as well! Basically just a look at why short/compact-ish, single-edged chopping swords tended to crop up over and over again in different cultures throughout history. TL;DR - they’re extremely practical, have a wide range of possible uses, and are relatively easy to wield even without extensive training (although many people were obviously well trained in their use).
https://youtu.be/zAd02JK6KSY
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Jack wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:31 am "Reaver" cleaver? "Shiny"? Are those Firefly references? Miss that show...
Actually, it IS a Firefly reference. Here is a link to the description on their web page.

https://zombietools.net/collections/bla ... er-cleaver
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.