Medallion of Thrór

From the Blue Mountains to the Iron Hills...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eofor
Haeropada

Medallion of Thrór

Post by Eofor »

Thrór pressed the map into Thráin’s hand along with the silver key and heavy ring.

Keep these safe, he said as he closed Thráin’s hand tightly around the treasures, safe above all else for from these our people shall rise again.

But Father Thráin protested, if something should happen to us the map is worthless without the talisman.

Thrór pulled the oval talisman out from his tunic and turned it over in his hand rubbing his thumb over the sunstone and the runes carved into it.

Stand by the grey stone when the thrush knocks and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's day will shine upon the keyhole

He smiled at his son as he tucked the medallion back into his tunic and chuckling took the map back. He spread it on a nearby bench and pointed to a blank space on the map.

‘Moon letters?’ whispered Thráin. Thrór nodded. ‘But what moon? What night?’

A midsummer’s eve, in a crescent moon, said Thrór.

Thráin’s face hardened… The night of dragonfall….

What son of Durin could sleep on the anniversary of our devastation? shrugged Thrór. Worry not my son, the runes will be read and the way will be found, with or without the talisman.

This one treasure I will take with me, a reminder on my travels of all that we have lost and all that we hope to one day hold again.

Last edited by Eofor on Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Eofor
Haeropada

Re: Medallion of Thrór

Post by Eofor »

So, my jeweler friend who made my version of the Dunedain star has recently started making more Middle Earth themed items. He made this medallion on a whim I offered to share it on his behalf to those who appreciate such things.

It is 6 grams of silver cast using the lost wax method. It features the moon letters from the map of the lonely mountain, and as you can see - the thrush, setting sun and secret door up top while down below the dragon guards the arkenstone. The central stone is a sunstone but I suggested to him that an opal may be a nice choice given the description of the arkenstone.

But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Very nice and an opal would look better.
Jack
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Jack »

Phenomenal work. An opal is exactly what I pictured when first reading about the Arkenstone .
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Goodnight that's awesome!
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

I love that :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Iodo wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:53 amI love that :P
I'll admit that when i saw it I thought of you first.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Oh that is gorgeous.

Hrm... does he take other commissions then? If so, I might have to think about some possibilities. I love his style. :)
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Oh, now that is down right cool! I love it. You know some very cool and talented people!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain