Why so rough?

From the Blue Mountains to the Iron Hills...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: Why so rough?

Post by Cimrandir »

Gulli wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:42 am Hello, I thought I would chime in as I have some experience. I am not claiming that I am some mastersmith, and when I am working on a piece in dwarven tradition, I often say to myself: this is what 80 to 150 years of craftsmanship expertise look like? I feel not worthy of dwarven work. However, my work is much finer, than the movie dwarven stuff. I find this roughness unacceptable and hard to believe. There is masterful rustic, like in Japanese concept of wabisabi, but what I see in movies, especially for dwarves is just wrong, rubbery barbarian nonsense. My explanation is, that its easy to be recognised caricature to create marketable visual for dwarves. Ugh, sorry, big pet peeve

Gulli, while you may not have the benefit of 150 years of experience that comes with being a dwarf, I have to tell you that your work has completely supplanted the movies in how I picture the Khazâd. The styling and craftsmanship you use to portray dwarven work is masterful. It far outshines the cliché geometric designs of the films. I've really been coming around to a "Eastern European" depiction of the Dwarves and in large part I have you to thank for it. Keep being awesome!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain