First Impression

From the Blue Mountains to the Iron Hills...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

First Impression

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I wanted to post the small start I've made on my Persona (this will be a work in progress) and there doesn't seem to be a 'Whos who of MERF'.

Meet Barron, son of Barris, son of Barr. Sometimes known as "Barron The Late" (though never to his face) and "Barron Blackcap" due to his wearing black hoods and other headgear
A Dwarf of middle age just before the War of the Ring.
Born of Erebor stock, his Father's stories of the Lost Hold inspired him to march when the call came.
He arrived too late to do anything except mourn his fallen King and swear vengeance on all Orc kind...... Barron is still in mourning and will remain so until the last Orc corpse hits the ground.

Thats a thumbnail sketch, any comments?
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: First Impression

Post by Iodo »

Cool ideas so far :P so does this place you...
ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:51 pm just before the War of the Ring
...or just after the battle of the five armies (as Iodo's timeline)? because there are 60 years between The Hobbit and The fellowship of the ring, so actually a lot of time for stuff to happen
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Tie in his black attire to his mourning. Something like he swore to wear black on his head until.....is avenged.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Dwarves and vengeance. A classic combo. I dig it. Looking forward to reading more!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

I like where this is going! And I agree that it would be cool to possibly tie it in somewhat with Iodo’s backstory! I’ll be watching this with interest!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Iodo wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:44 pm Cool ideas so far :P so does this place you...
ForgeCorvus wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:51 pm just before the War of the Ring
...or just after the battle of the five armies (as Iodo's timeline)? because there are 60 years between The Hobbit and The fellowship of the ring, so actually a lot of time for stuff to happen
I wanted Barron to of grown up hearing tales of Lost Erebor, to of been an adult during the BotFA (but still young enough to make a rash oath) and to reflect my current age.
Putting that into numbers I would expect Barron to be younger then Fili and Kili, 82 and 77 respectively. This makes them equivalent to 26 and 24 1/2, I think Barron would of been roughly 56 to 60(approx. 18 for a human) in order to be old enough to go to war but still young enough to be stupid.
This would mean that he would be 116/120 at the time of Bilbo's going away party and 133/137 when Frodo leaves the Shire, equivalent to a human in his mid-forties...... I'm just out of my forties, but thats near enough :P

Peter R: The look I'm going for is sombre tones (grey, dark green, dark brown and black), little to no jewellery and no polished metal gear. This is partly because Barron is in mourning (Black mourning hood )and partly because its good colours for hunting Orcs.

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:42 pm I wanted Barron to of grown up hearing tales of Lost Erebor, to of been an adult during the BotFA (but still young enough to make a rash oath) and to reflect my current age
cool, so basically he would be at Erebor at the same time as Iodo :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Iodo wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:32 pm
ForgeCorvus wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:42 pm I wanted Barron to of grown up hearing tales of Lost Erebor, to of been an adult during the BotFA (but still young enough to make a rash oath) and to reflect my current age
cool, so basically he would be at Erebor at the same time as Iodo :P
Yes, he would of been one of those young brash idiots that any halfway sensible Dwarf avoids like the plague

Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

LOL, I think Iodo would be one of those too :P this cosplay post from 2018 goes into a little more detail: viewtopic.php?t=3995 and while I need to revise a lot of that so it is more detailed and written better, it has essentially not changed. Iodo Ionite is actually younger than Barron, and from a wealthy(ish) upstanding and respected business family of the Iron Hills. Although despite the best efforts by her family she wasn't interested by any of that and, inspired by her Great Grandfathers story's she became the rebellious youngster of the family. As a child she fancied herself as a Dunedain ranger and (encouraged by her Great Grandfather) spent time "adventuring" in the mountains when she should have been learning her craft. When the call to arms to fight at the Lonely Mountain came, she saw that as her first real chance for adventure and essentially ran away from home without the permission or approval of her family, but she did have full support from her Great Grandfather. She had originally intended to go home after, but the sight of all that gold, and the the curiosity she had to talk to all the travelers that started to pass through lake-town and Dale, made her decide to stay and start a new life, at least for a while anyway.

So while the job role of Fells-ward is important, she doesn't treat it with the respect that she probably should, she just sees the whole thing as an "adventure" like in her Great Grandfather's story's, and is prone to disobeying direct orders from her superiors, particularly if they could get in the way of a situation that from her point of view could become fun and exciting. I have to admit, the only reason she keeps the job is because at that time the Erebor watch need everyone they can get, and don't have the choice or resources to be choosy

I have deliberately come up with this with the lighthearted and slightly childish approach to story-writing you see in The Hobbit book, my main inspiration, and while most of my visual aesthetic is inspired by WETA, the idea for Iodo Ionite as a character existed in amateur fan-fiction short story's I wrote while bored at school years before The Hobbit movies came out