Mae Govannen from the Carolinas!

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

UpstateRanger

Mae Govannen from the Carolinas!

Post by UpstateRanger »

Hey everyone, I don’t know if it’s proper form to write an introduction but I’ll do it anyways. My name’s Ryan and I live in Carolinas. I’ve been interested in medieval history and fantasy since I was little; and I’ve always loved the woods. When I grew up my interests shifted to tabletop games, hiking, and reenacting so this seems like a natural jump.

I’ve been wanting to make a set of medieval clothes and camp in them for a while, and this seems like a great motivator for doing so. As far as impressions go, I figure that a third age Dúnedain one would be the way to go, mostly because I’ve been rereading the LOTR this fall. I’m currently in that stage of building an impression where I’m working out the logistics of what I should make/buy first; which boils down to the clothing and boots for now. Ive also decided to get ahead of the curve and try to do research on what trails in the SC upstate/NC border region are best for this sort of thing. My ultimate short term (I.e next 4 years) would be to hike the foothills trail in ranger kit.

Apologies for rambling, but I’m very excited. I look forward to learning more from this site!
Eofor
Haeropada

Re: Mae Govannen from the Carolinas!

Post by Eofor »

Welcome to the forums Ryan! It certainly sounds like you'll fit in here.
I like your approach to beginning with soft kit, so many are tempted to get into the hard kit straight up.
What period of time do you re-enact? I do a lot of hiking and camping in my early middle ages kit (which fortunately for my budget bears a few cross overs to my Rohan clothing)
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Welcome Ranger :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Harper
Haeropada

Post by Harper »

Well met!

Welcome, Ranger.
UpstateRanger

Post by UpstateRanger »

Eofor wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:00 am Welcome to the forums Ryan! It certainly sounds like you'll fit in here.
I like your approach to beginning with soft kit, so many are tempted to get into the hard kit straight up.
What period of time do you re-enact? I do a lot of hiking and camping in my early middle ages kit (which fortunately for my budget bears a few cross overs to my Rohan clothing)
Thank you so much! As much as I’d love to just put together my entire kit immediately, monetary constraints (being a student) keep me from doing that. Plus, I’d just feel plain silly if I went out all kitted up just to find that my clothes/boots don’t work for me.

I’m currently getting into rev war reenacting, but I used to belong to a group that did several periods including the Civil War.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Mae govennen! Which faction and period of the Revolutionary War?
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Welcome Ranger.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

UpstateRanger wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:38 am Thank you so much! As much as I’d love to just put together my entire kit immediately, monetary constraints (being a student) keep me from doing that.
I’m currently getting into rev war reenacting, but I used to belong to a group that did several periods including the Civil War.
I'm not a huge fan of the bucket of money approach anyway, I think that the best kit grows piece by piece in an organic fashion.

It's funny that the Civil war stuff never even pops into my head as we don't have it here.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
redhandfilms

Post by redhandfilms »

Hello neighbor. Welcome. I'm just over in Georgia!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Well met & welcome!
Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Welcome!

Well, you're in good company starting out with RevWar stuff. I think most of the old guard of this forum started out in the 18th century. :mrgreen:

Good fortune on your trip - the Cherokee area is just gorgeous!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Welcome. I'm also in the upstate, Greenville area. Many opportunities for good trekking.
Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Welcome!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.