Hygiene

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Rangerofthesea
Wayfarer

Hygiene

Post by Rangerofthesea »

Just curious how others keep clean on prolonged adventures in the wild. What hygiene products/methods do you use? How much extra clothing do you carry?

I've just finished a 9 month season in what would be considered a remote location. Only able to have a quick shower once a week, using filtered rainwater, clothing was washed by modern washing machine also once a week, the climate was temperate to cool, though wet, so not too bad. I had plenty of (too much) extra clothing and even with modern hygiene products developed several rashes and fungal infections on skin and nails. I was getting through 3 pairs of socks a day and still having issues. I can only imagine how worse it would have been without soap, shampoo and antifungal spray.
Udwin
Vendor

Re: Hygiene

Post by Udwin »

So, I thruhiked the Appalachian Trail with my wife last year, and at six months it was a great way to really nail down what it takes to be comfortable and healthy while traveling long distances on foot in a variety of conditions. As our first long-distance thruhike we used modern gear but the experience taught us the hands-on skills to stay healthy and comfortable.

The key to clothing was layering - and we were Constantly shedding or adding layers depending on the terrain to thermoregulate and avoid sweating too much (adding layers while descending, losing layers while ascending). Most days I was able to get away with one of two wool-blend T-shirts, and/or a nylon-blend longsleeve fishing shirt. A rain jacket kept me dry and effectively cut the wind. In the final third, I added a cashmere sweater. An down layer came out at night around camp before bed. Pants were zip-off nylon, and I wore synthetic long underwear to sleep on colder nights. I only took four pairs of socks: alternating between two pairs of Injinji toe-socks (to prevent blisters) while hiking, and two pairs of regular wool socks for nights. Even with all these layers, there were only 2 or 3 nights where I wore more than one layer to bed.

As for hygiene, I didn't carry too much. A chunk of luffa gourd for a washrag, a small bottle of Dr. Bronner's, and a microfiber towel for Town Days when we could take real showers (about once a week, longest we ever went was 11), and on trail we had moist face wipes for a quick wipedown every night before supper - paying special attention to keeping the feet clean. Suprisingly I actually had less hygiene issues on-trail than I typically do at home.

For Middle-earth purposes, my hygiene kit doesn't involve more than a pair of small washcloths (one for face, one for body), a small bar of lye soap, a toothbrush, and a wooden comb. I typically just wear a linen layer for most seasons, paired with a wool layer if it's cooler, and then a heavy braintan layer if it's Really cold. A hood keeps head and neck warm. Plus socks at night. Granted, I haven't put my Tolkien kit through the same amount of use/abuse as a modern thruhiker, but the principles of thermoregulation and hygiene stay the same.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Meganbeyer
Wanderer

Re: Hygiene

Post by Meganbeyer »

My hygiene kit for the trail is simple, lye based bar of soap, wash rag and towel of linen, toothbrush ( currently bamboo, but in future I hope to try and make a willow one), baking soda tooth powder, salve of some varity, boar bristle brush and a homemade deodorant paste.

To use I just take a simple "bird bath" by filling my cook pot with clean water, heating over the fire and wash up. Only takes about 3cups of water to wash up and can use less if not that soiled.

I have made lye soap for many years and personally like a mix of 2/3 animal fat 1/3 almond oil. All animal fat makes a very hard bar with little to no Sud. The almond oil adds a bit of suds and makes the bar gentler on the skin. This bar of soap can be used for cleaning not only yourself but cloths and dishes as well. With the soap make sure you are not washing in the water source and dump any soap water at least 50 ft away from water sources.

These are really simple to make and I use most of the time at home as well. I do have bars of shampoo, and hair oil if I will be out longer on the trail, but I only wash my hair every 10- 14 days.
I have skin issues and the main way I have found to avoid rashes and infections is to avoid fragrance, synthetic soaps, and any chemicals that may irritated the skin.

As far as the amount of clothes on the trail, it would depend on if I had a way to rinse off under tunics or not. If I can, then I would only need 1 or 2 extra under tunics and maybe a thin and thick outer wool tunic. Add a kaftan coat, possible a cloak, an extra pair of pants, and a few pairs of wool socks for a week of trail time.
This is pretty much what I hope my finished Dwarven clothing kit will be.

This is based off what I have taken in the past for 7-10 day trail rides. Normally it would be 2 cotton tee shirts, light flannel shirt, cotton or wool sweater, jacket or slicker, and extra pair of jeans and a few pairs of wool socks. All tucks nicely into saddle bags, with room for food and cook wares.

Main thing is as mentioned above layers to put on/ take off as needed. I would add that feet especially need time to dry out before they get soak or sweaty again the next day. And if possible footwear to be dry at the start of the day.

I am currently in a full time off grid low power, limited water home. On our homestead with loads of chores and outdoors projects, I use the above all the time. My main thing is keeping clean under shirts and socks, otherwise my eczema and EDS related problems flare up.