Warm Greetings from a New Member!

Whether new to the forum, or completely new to the community, herein you will find the best information to-date to help you get started on the right foot with that dangerous business of going out your door.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Warm Greetings from a New Member!

Post by Iodo »

TheSmallGaul wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:14 am -Hello Iodo! It's awesome to get a reply from you!
I'm a longtime follower of your content on YouTube. You were pretty influential in my final decision to jump on the forums! Love the work you do, keep it up! Can't wait to hear more from you!

No problem, and thank you so much :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Warm Greetings from a New Member!

Post by Manveruon »

Welcome!! Just finally catching up with some forum stuff now, so I'm afraid I missed your introduction at first! Thanks for reaching out on Instagram though! It's always fantastic to find other like-minded folks in my neck of the woods!

As others have mentioned, I operate the Misty Mountain Rangers primarily out of Denver (I'm actually in Littleton, myself), but there are a bunch of folks who have participated with us all along the Front Range/I-25 corridor, as far north as Wyoming and as far south as Pueblo or so. Heck, even one or two from the Western slope out around Grand Junction (though I haven't heard much from that area in a long time). In fact, Andy Mayer - the very person who started all of this Middle-earth Rangers nonsense in the first place - just happens to reside in Colorado Springs himself, currently!

When I first joined the forums back in something like 2010 or 2011 I immediately started asking around to see if I could find like-minded folks out here in CO. I thought it was a total no-brainer; we have an absolutely beautiful state with just about every possible kind of terrain you could ask for, other than ocean, and we're known all over the U.S. as one of the very most outdoors-y states in the union - not to mention having a huge and very active geek community. But the more I looked the more I realized I was essentially alone here in terms of Middle-earth reenactment, so I figured "if you build it, [they] will come!" :lol:

We used to have a branch of the Tolkien Society here called the Misty Mountains Smial (since we're nestled up right against the Rockies) so I took inspiration from them when creating my own little group, and called it the Misty Mountain Rangers! As it happens, the Misty Mountains Smial appears to be totally defunct now, but I'm actually considering perhaps registering the MMRs as an official Tolkien Society smial - but we'll see.

As it happens, we also have a small SCA sub-group here called the Pilgrims of Argonia, who basically do exactly what we do, but with a 14th Century medieval perspective! They've done all kinds of incredible outings, including several winter overnight treks in snowshoes where they've built snow shelters and all that jazz. SUUUUPER cool group, but also very tight-knit, and again, more real-world historically minded.

Anyway, great to have you around the forums! Hopefully we can meet up for some adventures sometime! And do let me know if you're looking into MERS submission as well, because it would be great to have someone semi-local to geek out about that with, since many of the folks I run with here tend to be a little more on the casual side, and I confess that can rub off a bit over time! :lol:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains