Breelander Pillbox hat

From Numenor to Far Harad...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

caedmon
Balku'npâ

Breelander Pillbox hat

Post by caedmon »

I attempted and failed to weave some leg wraps as my Yule gift. Turns out that weaving is hard.

In order to not be wasteful I turned the 8 feet I did make into a Hedeby style pillbox hat.
96FC4E1B-94AB-44F0-A7FA-60BCF78EF6EB.jpeg
96FC4E1B-94AB-44F0-A7FA-60BCF78EF6EB.jpeg (132.21 KiB) Viewed 3088 times
323DFD9F-9BDA-4B7E-BE68-5E73886E9770.jpeg
323DFD9F-9BDA-4B7E-BE68-5E73886E9770.jpeg (165.83 KiB) Viewed 3088 times
CDC30E88-C1B1-4037-AD40-97B577356E25.jpeg
CDC30E88-C1B1-4037-AD40-97B577356E25.jpeg (175.17 KiB) Viewed 3088 times
The weave was intended to be a Diamond twill, this is about the only section where you can see that.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Breelander Pillbox hat

Post by Manveruon »

Oh wow! How cool is that! I’ve been meaning to try my hand at making one of those myself for a while now! Think it would go great with my kit for cooler weather.
I think that turned out beautifully!!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I love it!

.... and I rather suspect that's not the first time legwraps have ended up in a hat! :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Very very nice! I don't know whether it's because I've been staring at too much real-world reenactment photos but pillbox hats, whether of the Roman or Viking style, seem very fitting for Middle-earth. I really really like the reuse of materials from other projects. Something you see in the archaeological record all the time and appropriate for Middle-earth as well.

Manveruon wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:33 amOh wow! How cool is that! I’ve been meaning to try my hand at making one of those myself for a while now! Think it would go great with my kit for cooler weather.

Same! With my attempt at ever so slightly "Romanizing" my kit, I thought a Late Antique pillbox would be perfect. Unfortunately, I am terrible at math and have had a dickens of a time trying to get the length of the bottom panel to match up with the circumference of the top. I'm also trying to line it with linen and that's added an extra wrinkle. I've tried twice now with practice pieces and bungled it each time. Doesn't help I've got a weird head shape. :lol: But the third times the charm!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Cimrandir:
Make the lining first and start with the browband.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Oh I did. The linen is much cheaper than the wool I’m going to use so I definitely wanted to practice with it first haha.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Awesome work, and smart idea! It kinda makes me want to turn a spare set of leg wraps into a hat :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.