Clothing review - Oldcraft Workshop

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eofor
Haeropada

Re: Clothing review - Oldcraft Workshop

Post by Eofor »

OParnoShoshoi wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:03 pm That weave looks incredible, but I want to hear more about that shed behind you. It resembles a vardo.
Ahhh you come for the textiles and stay for the shed. It's actually a little cedar barrel sauna which I guess could be used a shed in a pinch but is far more fun as a sauna.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
OParnoShoshoi
Dúnadan

Post by OParnoShoshoi »

That's amazing. I've always wanted to build something like that
(INSERT WITTICISM HERE)
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:06 am Ahhh you come for the textiles and stay for the shed. It's actually a little cedar barrel sauna which I guess could be used a shed in a pinch but is far more fun as a sauna.

awesome, I thought it was a shed as well, but I have to ask: is it not hot enough where you are already :?: :mrgreen:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Iodo wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:58 am awesome, I thought it was a shed as well, but I have to ask: is it not hot enough where you are already :?: :mrgreen:
We probably use it 3/4 of the year and count it a very good investment. The sauna is many things not just about getting hot - a good session takes anywhere from an hour to a day as you move between the sauna, cold plunge, fire pit, BBQ and bottles of wine.
It's a great time to be alone in your thoughts while relaxing or to have in depth conversations that don't seem to take place otherwise. Oh and it has many proven health benefits.

It's one of my happy places.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

fair enough, I have to admit I know nothing about saunas, there aren't many of them in the UK
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Iodo wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:19 pm fair enough, I have to admit I know nothing about saunas, there aren't many of them in the UK
Even less here. The wife and I fell in love with them when we were travelling through Finnish lapland and procrastinated about he stupidity on a steambox in the tropics before taking the steps. Have not regretted it once.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

LOL :P is it true that in Lapland instead of a cold plunge pool you actually jump in a frozen lake?
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Iodo wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:16 pm LOL :P is it true that in Lapland instead of a cold plunge pool you actually jump in a frozen lake?
In some places! If there is a lake nearby they will have a hole cut in the ice with a ladder in it and they open the hatch and you climb in.
You don't put your head below the water because it's too much but the rest of the body is fine.

Other places it's a plunge pool, ocean, cold shower or the super fun dive and roll around in the snow. :mrgreen:
mg2Arnor
Wanderer

Post by mg2Arnor »

I'm curious how you fasten your leg-wraps. Do you use period hooks, or do you tuck/tie the ends?
Calenthir - Dunedain Ranger of the late 3rd Age
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

mg2Arnor wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:09 am I'm curious how you fasten your leg-wraps. Do you use period hooks, or do you tuck/tie the ends?
I used to have a lot of trouble with them falling down until I discovered the three tricks to getting them to stay up 100% of the time.

You want proper woven wraps - they flex and stretch in a way that strips cut from a bolt of cloth don't.

You want the wraps quite long - I'm 5'10" and use wraps that are 4m long. This means that they have a good generous overlap and the can be wrapped around the foot (see below)

Finally in direct answer to your question I wrap them top down - Start above the calf muscle and do one full wrap quite tight around the leg then wrap your way down with nice overlap. Once you get to the foot, wrap around it two or three times and slip your boot on over that.

The top wrap ensures they won't fall down as it's held up by the calf muscle and the bottom is inside the shoe (which gives a good bit of extra warmth and ankle support to boot-pun intended)
mg2Arnor
Wanderer

Post by mg2Arnor »

That's pretty smart! I will definitely have to try this method.
Calenthir - Dunedain Ranger of the late 3rd Age
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

While I adhere to Eofor's method myself, an alternate method that I also like is Mike Everest's here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzHLQ7ILBKQ

Truth be told, I still favor the twisting to get a nice tight wrap even going down.
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain