Rohirrim wanderers pack

From Numenor to Far Harad...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eofor
Haeropada

Rohirrim wanderers pack

Post by Eofor »

Another one of my gear plans for the upcoming year and though not a complicated one I thought I would share. It's probably the first that will be done as I have the materials and skills for this job myself.

A simple frame pack with horse head finials. I plan to use poplar for two reasons, it is technically a hardwood but it is softer than most which should make carving easier and it is also far lighter. I plan to use lap joints strengthened with either forge nails or trenails and may bind the joints with cordage if I feel it really needs it.
The bag will be made in a similar fashion to the Loch Glashan satchel using thick leather thonging rather than stitching. I have yet to determine if it is better to have the back permanently attached to the pack via a series of loops or if it should be removable.

But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Re: Rohirrim wanderers pack

Post by Elleth »

I love this!!!

... I think you would want the bag to be able to come off, both so you can use it alone and so you can use the frame for carrying miscellaneous bulky things without the bag. (I ended up getting an old army pack frame for hauling baby trees out into the forest, and it works quite well!)

I don't know if you've seen this article, but there's loads of fascinating pictures of old traditional external frame packs there. I've kinda wanted a prettily carved "Hjuringsmeis" for ages. :mrgreen:
https://www.carryology.com/bags/externa ... ys-part-1/

Not to say you should change your idea, just sharing something fun -
Hjuringsmeis-01.jpg
Hjuringsmeis-01.jpg (103.59 KiB) Viewed 7406 times
Hjuringsmeis-02.jpg
Hjuringsmeis-02.jpg (116.87 KiB) Viewed 7406 times

Finally... this might be a bit too precious, but it seems to me a nice "back story" for the bag itself might be for it to have begun life as a saddle bag. Then at some point Eofor loses his mount, cuts free one of the bags, does some field patching to bind it to an improvised frame... maybe gets a nicer frame down the line, cleans up the stitchwork...

I love items that have an implied history of their own like that. :mrgreen:

Though I've no idea what a Rohirric saddle bag mounting would look like.
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Years ago, I designed a cavalry backpack/saddle bag system. It basically was a pair of horse saddle bags, that had shoulder straps that could be attached to convert one bag to a backpack. The theory was that you are on patrol and your horse gets hurt and has to be put down. You'd convert one of the bags to the backpack. You'd then fill it with the human needs: fire starter, tinder, candle, food, water bottle and blanket poncho leaving the equestrian needs behind. I loved old westerns but hated when the cowboy's horse died and the cowboy would try to carry his saddle, rifle and saddlebags through the desert to the next town/ranch. Always seemed stupid to me.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

That is a brilliant article, I've already shared it to a few people.

My original plan was to have the bag detachable for that exact reason, I've used a frame pack before and being able to tie the bag differently if it's empty or full would be pretty handy if I have other gear on board.
I really like the decorated cross beams, I think I may need to work something in there as well.

The other design which I have considered is to have the two heads cross at the top in an X in a similar way to the oseberg tent beast heads. If I did that though I would need to use oak which is much heavier.

I had thought of the saddlebag idea but figured that until the end of his story Eofor spends most of his time on foot. I suppose it would let me potentially buy something and just swap the buckles out.

Actually looking at them now you can even get them in waxed fabric.... Hmmmmmm watch this space
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

Elleth wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:50 am Finally... this might be a bit too precious, but it seems to me a nice "back story" for the bag itself might be for it to have begun life as a saddle bag. Then at some point Eofor loses his mount, cuts free one of the bags, does some field patching to bind it to an improvised frame... maybe gets a nicer frame down the line, cleans up the stitchwork...
I love items that have an implied history of their own like that. :mrgreen:
Though I've no idea what a Rohirric saddle bag mounting would look like.
That's a great idea! (Those hexagons on that Hjuringsmeis make me think Beorning, which is too bad, because I'm starting to feel that my Beorning kit (Bronze Age + Ötzi) might be a bit too 'primitive' for late 3A...eeep!)
I thought the overhanging finials on this pack would really lend themselves to equine carving.
Eofor, for my frame pack I used half-lap joints and lashed with rawhide after the green wood had shrunk. It's extremely solid and no need for hardware, might be worth a try. Can't wait to see your final result!
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Udwin wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:47 pm I thought the overhanging finials on this pack would really lend themselves to equine carving.
You're not wrong! I've never seen one that concaved in like that as all the examples I have seen seem to go with the two outer uprights. I wonder how it would sit on the back. I like it's small bit of brass too.
There's nothing to stop me taking the horizontal finials on the other design out and carving those instead. The replies on this thread have already thrown my plans into disarray (in a good way)

The rawhide is an excellent idea, once it shrunk it would be extremely tough.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Hrm... poking at larsdatter and such, it looks like the closest thing to saddlebags in period - at least in the sources she's found - are basically just giant "market wallets" thrown over the horse's body before or behind the saddle. Or simple roped bundles more or less on the lines of a bedroll. Which I suppose makes sense, comparative material poverty and all. I do recall coming across a RevWar reference that what we know of as (envelope style) knapsacks are more or less an 18th c. thing, inspired by saddlebags of the period... which is an interesting full circle. :mrgreen:

ANYHOW... that all said, the more things I look at the more fond I am of Eofor's original pattern. I think it's very well thought out. The simplicity looks better and better the longer I sit with it.

(Personally Eofor I think it would look absolutely jaw-dropping with a traditionally tanned leather bag... and perhaps ash wood for the frame, but that's my bias. )

EDIT: Eofor, if you care, I've come across a number of "how to make a pack frame" articles in early 20th c. woodsy and scouting books. I can search for something close if it would help (and if they're not already in your library)
EDIT 2: If you can give the frame some provision for a shelf, I think that might prove very useful.
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

An easily dismountable bag and a 'cargo shelf' frame with plenty of tie-off points would probably be the most adaptable (and therefore useful ) design.
You'll need some form of diagonal bracing or the frame may twist when loaded, wide cross-members act as braces as do curved sections.

Love the idea of Horse-head terminals
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

loving this ides too :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Update on this project,

The bag is now completed thanks to the kind support of Hamish at Pictavia. The leather cost a small fortune but it's hard to go back once you've seen it and he did cut me some slack on the price.

Heading into walking season over here so I will need to progress this one faster when health allows, once the bag arrives will go and raid some nearby willow trees.

Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

THAT WAS FOR YOU?!?
:o
...Of course it was, I shouldn't be surprised at this point.
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

I'm beginning to think the rule of thumb at this point needs to be "if you see something cool, it's for Eofor." :mrgreen:

(seriously, that looks awesome!)
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

It seems every time I post lately I get that response!

Seriously though, I already have one of Hamish's deer skin bags and the leather is phenomenal. I've seen a lot of leather in my time but it's in a realm of its own.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Elleth wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:06 pm I'm beginning to think the rule of thumb at this point needs to be "if you see something cool, it's for Eofor." :mrgreen:

(seriously, that looks awesome!)
Yep - saw this one too, and I’m beginning to have the same reaction! :lol:
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

It's such a gorgeous leather, Eofor. It's going to a well-deserved home. I'm looking forward to seeing it mounted!
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain