Hoard Key

From Numenor to Far Harad...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eofor
Haeropada

Hoard Key

Post by Eofor »

"They passed through the village and left the now overgrown path on the other side. Eofor led them along a ridge and down a gully which broadened into a short green grassy forest clearing.
It was a charming place with a small stream babbling at one end and a large standing stone on one side of the clearing. It was to this stone that Eofor rode and dismounting he beckoned the others over.
At his feet was a large slab of rock that looked to weigh as much as four men but to the astonishment of the onlookers Eofor took something from his pouch, bent and after a moment heaved it up with little effort, it was then that they saw it was cleverly hollowed out from underneath and set upon a hinge in the stone. Strange runes were carved into the underside of the stone in the dwarven tongue."

‘I had Morkel make it’ Eofor said by word of explanation ‘For storing my hoard. It will only open if one has this’ and saying so he held out a small iron key with a tiny boar set in the bow"

Lately I have been working on the end of Eofors tale and this passage fell out of my mind. I have long had an idea in my mind that most of his wealth is hidden away in a Dwarven made cache. After all the people of the past had no banks and there is no safety in storing it in a chest in a tavern. Now it stands to reason that if there is a cache then there must be a key! and so I reached out to Gulli and asked if he might make me such a thing (our vision of Middle Earth is so often aligned)

He's hard at work now but I thought I would share some progress from his sketch to the early workings, I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

Last edited by Eofor on Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: Hoard Key

Post by Greg »

Yeeeesssss!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
MiketheBlacksmith
Wanderer

Post by MiketheBlacksmith »

That is very nice.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

That is indeed a beautiful thing :P

...btw please go to some mountain path somewhere and build the actual hoard :lol:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
redhandfilms
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by redhandfilms »

Iodo wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:58 pm ...btw please go to some mountain path somewhere and build the actual hoard :lol:
We need to start some Ranger Geocaching!
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

And just like that it is done! Look at that little squeaker! One more part to the Eofor puzzle down.

Iodo wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:58 pm ...btw please go to some mountain path somewhere and build the actual hoard :lol:
Now that is ridiculously tempting, even if it was a mock up for a photoshoot
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
MiketheBlacksmith
Wanderer

Eofor,

That is an inspiring piece of work. After seeing yesterdays picture I did some contemplating on it's construction. Makes me want to go play in the shops instead of doing all the mundane chores of a homestead. Did you put a hole in the end of the shaft? (pipe key) , How did you fasten the boar in place? I also thought of the eye being a hole but then thought of inserting a red jewel in it. Very well done, love it.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

MiketheBlacksmith wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:40 am Eofor,

That is an inspiring piece of work. After seeing yesterdays picture I did some contemplating on it's construction. Makes me want to go play in the shops instead of doing all the mundane chores of a homestead. Did you put a hole in the end of the shaft? (pipe key) , How did you fasten the boar in place? I also thought of the eye being a hole but then thought of inserting a red jewel in it. Very well done, love it.
Thank you Mike but I can't take any credit for the work. My one great skill is finding other talented individuals who help me bring my ideas to life.

In this case the key was made by another forum member, Gulli who also goes by Gullinbursti on Facebook. His work is stunning and well worth checking out.
MiketheBlacksmith
Wanderer

Eofor,

Yes, now I see I missed that detail in your first posting. You did have the vision and good taste to commission such a piece so it's still a plus in my book,that's still inspiring.
When you have it in hand please post a few more pictures with something for scale. I did check out Gulli's work and it is all you say ,thanks for the guidance.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

That is just gorgeous! Gulli is a treasure!

... is he also making a dwarf cave in the mountains, accessible only on Durin's Day? :mrgreen:
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Taylor Steiner
Haeropada

Post by Taylor Steiner »

Beautiful!
Frodo lives!
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

very very nice :P

Eofor wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:14 am
Now that is ridiculously tempting, even if it was a mock up for a photoshoot
I had hoped you would say something like that :lol:
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Gulli
Dúnadan

Post by Gulli »

Elleth wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 2:38 pm
... is he also making a dwarf cave in the mountains, accessible only on Durin's Day? :mrgreen:
Should he?
Thanks for the nice words
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Beautiful work Gulli!

Eofor, I know you have quite some skill at woodworking. Do you intend to build the actual chest to make the key functional?
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

I am sorry I have neglected your replies, dealing with a few things right now but there is no better excuse than the sharing of the finished key!

To those of you asking if Gulli or I are building a box, cave, cache, chest or other I have to say no. We're looking at working together again soon though on something unique and very dear to me.