Mittens

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

A Mayer
Dúnadan

Mittens

Post by A Mayer »

Hail Rangers,
I'm looking for sources for fur lined leather mittens or patterns for same. Can't find some of my extreme weather kit.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Andy
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Re: Mittens

Post by Cimrandir »

Hey Andy!

Are you looking for a historical source and reference for mittens, a pattern to make your own, or a trusted crafter to purchase from?
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

Cimrandir wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:35 am Hey Andy!

Are you looking for a historical source and reference for mittens, a pattern to make your own, or a trusted crafter to purchase from?
Hey!
Patterns to make my own or a trusted crafter.

Thanks for the response.
Udwin
Vendor

Post by Udwin »

I had to tweak the scale to make them fit my hands, but this is the pattern I used for my winter mittens (braintan over fur):
mitten 1-3.png
mitten 1-3.png (96.33 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
Attachments
mittsDSC05089.JPG
mittsDSC05089.JPG (202.89 KiB) Viewed 3674 times
Personae: Aistan son of Ansteig, common Beorning of Wilderland; Tungo Brandybuck, Eastfarthing Bounder, 3018 TA; a native Man of the Greyflood, c.850 SA
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

that is nearly the same as the pattern I used to make some wool ones a few years back, it works
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
A Mayer
Dúnadan

Post by A Mayer »

Udwin wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:00 pm I had to tweak the scale to make them fit my hands, but this is the pattern I used for my winter mittens (braintan over fur):
mitten 1-3.png
Thanks Udwin,
I'll give em a try
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

A Mayer wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:18 am Hail Rangers,
I'm looking for sources for fur lined leather mittens or patterns for same. Can't find some of my extreme weather kit.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
If your not too set on making them yourself and just want something that looks authentic, Canadian Prepper has several options in his shop.

https://canadianpreparedness.com/collec ... adian-made
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

I suppose you could use a heavy (probably felted or heavily fulled) woolen for parts #2 and #3 and a leather for part #1 (if I'm reading the pattern right) for a leather palmed, textile Mitten...... I think I've got some boiled wool scraps that might be big enough
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

So I don’t really have any recommendations for makers but here’s an article from David Stříbrný at Projekt Forlǫg cataloging Early Medieval mitten finds. You might find it useful to see the broad and varied styles throughout history!

Early Medieval Mittens and Gloves [LINK]
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Desert Loon
Dúnadan

Post by Desert Loon »

When I was a teenager in Minnesota in the early 1990s, someone gave me a pair of sheepskin mittens, wool side in, from the Amana Colonies. They were excellent and I wish I still had them. My sister knitted me a pair in about 2000 to go with an Icelandic sweater she made. They work best layered with wool gloves.
I hope you've found some good ones. Any news?
Glory be to God for dappled things
And áll trádes, their gear and tackle and trim. (Hopkins)