Khazad-dûm by Julien Gauthier

From the Blue Mountains to the Iron Hills...

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Barandir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Khazad-dûm by Julien Gauthier

Post by Barandir »

https://imgur.io/x42KfIn?r.jpg

I saw this picture on Reddit earlier and had to share it here. I loved the portrayal of Khazad in RoP (yes, yes, problems with the show, how could they do that to Tolkien, etc.) and really like how this art also does a good job of portraying the world of the dwarves in an earlier age during their prime as a people, before the destruction and decay of the world from what was essentially an apocalypse.
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: Khazad-dûm by Julien Gauthier

Post by Iodo »

Barandir wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:55 pm I saw this picture on Reddit earlier and had to share it here. I loved the portrayal of Khazad in RoP (yes, yes, problems with the show, how could they do that to Tolkien, etc.) and really like how this art also does a good job of portraying the world of the dwarves in an earlier age during their prime as a people, before the destruction and decay of the world from what was essentially an apocalypse.

I agree (even though I know many others on this forum won't), yes the show is bad, however I have still enjoyed looking at the visual design of all the dwarven mines etc... The angular aesthetic that WETA studio's used for all the dwarven stuff in The Hobbit was cool, and seeing more artwork along similar ideas has been much fun

Thx for sharing the image :P

Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Khazad-dûm by Julien Gauthier

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Some of the design choices for the sets are great...... Pity about the material that went on in the foreground.

This 'shot' does look to me more like a residential area for the common folk rather then the great halls of the high&mighty..... It really doesn't look like the kind of place you snub an Elven king, as opposed to the Throne room in Erebor.
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles