Just a little knife.

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Just a little knife.

Post by Cimrandir »

I debated throwing this up in the thread for Eriargarch but what the heck? Why not a new one?

I've just come into possession of a new knife from Króka Thurston's Workshop. It was not made custom for me however. It's part of an experimental "budget" line he's putting together. As he put it, there ought to be authentic knives at a cheaper price-point so everyone can join in the fun without sacrificing authenticity. And because I like supporting his work and was already considering have a back-up knife to Eriargarch, I went ahead and picked one up.

In his words -
I think the best way to describe these is "polished over scratches", as there are still some grind marks visible. Likewise, the handles were shaped with rasps, and that is still visible in places.

The blades are 1084, 76mm long, 15mm wide, and 5mm think, and fully heat treated. They're based on Coppergate 2765, but, similar blade shapes can also be found in the Early Saxon period.

Handles are apple wood, "in the round" secured with a modern epoxy resin.

The sheaths are bark tanned goat hide, after Coppergate 15638, with a hand sewn back seam, and hand tooled decoration. Back seamed sheaths like this are found from the mid-9th century through to the end of the C11th.

I must say, this bark-tanned goat hide sheath is amazing and the irregularity is such a cool reminder of pre-modern manufacturing methods. I'm quite happy with the whole thing and plan on keeping it with me in my satchel for those small jobs where Eriargarch might be a bit too big. It's quite beautiful in it's simplicity!

Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
Barandir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Just a little knife.

Post by Barandir »

This is gorgeous! I recently followed him on Facebook and am dying to get one of his budget pieces!
Barandir, a Third Age Dunedain, also known as Brand or the Goshawk.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory; I only love that which they defend.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

The Trinity of Knives, The Thumb blade, The Hand blade and The Arm blade.

This is a really nice Thumb blade, I hope it serves you well
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

love it :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Elleth
êphal ki-*raznahê

Post by Elleth »

Pretty!

... that's also a really interesting way of doing the hanging tab on the sheath. I'd never have thought of that, clever!
Persona: Aerlinneth, Dúnedain of Amon Lendel c. TA 3010.
Eothain

Post by Eothain »

Simple and elegant.
May it prove a trusty companion in the wilds!
...in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.