New utility/fighting knife

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Turgolanas
Dúnadan

New utility/fighting knife

Post by Turgolanas »

Just recently picked up this hunting knife based on the design of Aragorn's dagger. Heir of Numenor on Discord designed and is selling them, and I picked up several for myself and some family. So far I love it - it is better at almost everything than my seax is, to the point where I'm going to replace my small utility knife and the seax with just this one.

It's not the most historical thing, but honestly for things like knives I'd rather have something more practical that fits well enough, since it's a primary survival tool.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Re: New utility/fighting knife

Post by Iodo »

while it may not fit too well with history or book law, it certainly is one very pretty looking thing :P

[EDIT] do you have a link for where to buy that?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Turgolanas
Dúnadan

Post by Turgolanas »

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1468340823 ... aft-dagger

Probably going to be out of stock soon, but I can post here when another run goes up probably.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

looks like they don't post outside the US so I couldn't get one anyway, ow well, thx for the link :P
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Turgolanas
Dúnadan

Post by Turgolanas »

Let me check on that, might can swing it. Not sure.
Turgolanas
Dúnadan

Post by Turgolanas »

Iodo wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:31 pm looks like they don't post outside the US so I couldn't get one anyway, ow well, thx for the link :P
He will post outside of the US, and definitely has. Shipping cost is more though. Might try messaging on etsy?
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Turgolanas wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 6:49 pm
Iodo wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 5:31 pm looks like they don't post outside the US so I couldn't get one anyway, ow well, thx for the link :P
He will post outside of the US, and definitely has. Shipping cost is more though. Might try messaging on etsy?
Yeah, as an Etsy seller myself, I can safely say that calculating international shipping for all of your shop’s listings can be a major headache, so I know a lot of us just put domestic shipping options on our stuff, and encourage anyone who wants international shipping to contact us first.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Heir.of.Numenor

Post by Heir.of.Numenor »

I definitely do send to places outside of the US. :)

I've been charging 100$ per knife which includes free domestic shipping, or international shipping should be available on that Etsy listing for an additional 30$.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Heir.of.Numenor wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:01 am
I definitely do send to places outside of the US. :)

I've been charging 100$ per knife which includes free domestic shipping, or international shipping should be available on that Etsy listing for an additional 30$.

are you the seller?

it just says "Sorry, this item is unavailable in your region"
It might be a UK knife law thing though, there are some funny rules about curved blades so Etsy might have blocked it?
ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Iodo wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 9:43 am
It might be a UK knife law thing though, there are some funny rules about curved blades so Etsy might have blocked it?
I don't think its big enough to fall foul of the "Samuri Sword" prohibition.

“It is illegal to bring into the UK, sell, hire, lend, give or possess in private swords with a curved blade over 50 centimeters (with some exceptions).”

Source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/import-cont ... ve-weapons
And even if it was a lot longer, it meets at least one and possibly two of the exceptions

“Swords with a curved blade of 50cm or more may be imported where the weapon:

was made before 1954
was made by traditional methods of making swords by hand
is only available for the purposes of use in religious ceremonies or for martial arts
is for use in a historical re-enactments or sporting activity for example a martial arts demonstration for which public liability insurance is held”

Source: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/import-cont ... ve-weapons
IANAL

ETA
If you do buy one, have it delivered to your work address if possible.
Customs are much happier if you're importing tools for work rather then weapons for private mayhem
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Thx for the research :P I probably won't get one though, trying to import something like that has too much risk for my liking, I would hate to loose a nice thing like that and know that it will have been destroyed

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 11:14 am Customs are much happier if you're importing tools for work rather then weapons for private mayhem

LOL, I'll have to remember that quote :mrgreen:
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Iodo: I'm a re-enactor and I have to be aware of the legal hoops I have to jump through. Curved blade over 50cm covers most military sabres as well...... Its a really badly worded and poorly thought out bit of legislation
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:51 pm Iodo: I'm a re-enactor and I have to be aware of the legal hoops I have to jump through.
It's not even imports, DHL and most of the major courier companies won't ship knives or bladed weapons out of the UK (my sword almost got destroyed in such a debacle)
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 2:58 am
ForgeCorvus wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 6:51 pm Iodo: I'm a re-enactor and I have to be aware of the legal hoops I have to jump through.
It's not even imports, DHL and most of the major courier companies won't ship knives or bladed weapons out of the UK (my sword almost got destroyed in such a debacle)
Yikes! that sort of thing is why I am terrified of trying to post or import such things, once a pen-friend of mine who is in the US randomly decided to send me a knife he didn't want anymore because he knows I like such things, that got destroyed by customs before I ever knew it existed and it wasn't anything that was specifically banned in the UK (luckily it wasn't anything of any sentimental/financial value), but the thing I can never understand is that he has successfully sent me a knife since, so sometimes it works and other times it doesn't??
Tom_Ranger

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Iodo wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:54 am Yikes! that sort of thing is why I am terrified of trying to post or import such things, once a pen-friend of mine who is in the US randomly decided to send me a knife he didn't want anymore because he knows I like such things, that got destroyed by customs before I ever knew it existed and it wasn't anything that was specifically banned in the UK (luckily it wasn't anything of any sentimental/financial value), but the thing I can never understand is that he has successfully sent me a knife since, so sometimes it works and other times it doesn't??
If I was ever going to send you something like that, it would likely be a.... LAMP with a unique interior.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.