New utility/fighting knife

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

ForgeCorvus
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: New utility/fighting knife

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:54 pm
Iodo wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:54 am Yikes! that sort of thing is why I am terrified of trying to post or import such things, once a pen-friend of mine who is in the US randomly decided to send me a knife he didn't want anymore because he knows I like such things, that got destroyed by customs before I ever knew it existed and it wasn't anything that was specifically banned in the UK (luckily it wasn't anything of any sentimental/financial value), but the thing I can never understand is that he has successfully sent me a knife since, so sometimes it works and other times it doesn't??
If I was ever going to send you something like that, it would likely be a.... LAMP with a unique interior.
Customs declaration of "Camping Gear" is how I sent an axe once...... But maybe I was lucky
All debts are paid....... Nothing forgiven. Nothing forgotten.

"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar

Barron (BAH-Ron) son of Barris (BAH-Ras) AKA Barron 'Blackcap'.
Independent Fellsward, Jobber, Tinker and Traveller in Trifles
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Iodo wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:54 am but the thing I can never understand is that he has successfully sent me a knife since, so sometimes it works and other times it doesn't??
It quite literally comes down to the person operating the X ray that day. If they decide to flag it then they do and others will just let it though. It's a horrible pot luck.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:24 pm
Iodo wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 11:54 am but the thing I can never understand is that he has successfully sent me a knife since, so sometimes it works and other times it doesn't??
It quite literally comes down to the person operating the X ray that day. If they decide to flag it then they do and others will just let it though. It's a horrible pot luck.

hence why in the gift exchange I always say no bladed items, I just don't understand why they are allowed to confiscate and destroy stuff that's legal to own in the UK, surely that just counts as theft?
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Iodo wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:40 pm I just don't understand why they are allowed to confiscate and destroy stuff that's legal to own in the UK, surely that just counts as theft?
It's due to ambiguous legal definitions. Anything that can be classified as a weapon is technically up for the ban treatment.
Another term I hate is 'offensive weapon'.... It's so stupidly broad that it could apply to anything if you use it well enough.

An example from here in Australia is that our laws classify a
'Flick knife or other similar device that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by any pressure applies to a button, spring or device in or attached to the handle of the knife'
as a prohibited weapon.

Thats pretty much any decent folding pocket knife with a thumb stud if they want to get nasty.
But the white fury of the Northmen burned the hotter, and more skilled was their knighthood with long spears and bitter. Fewer were they but they clove through the Southrons like a fire-bolt in a forest.
Iodo
Thangailhir

Post by Iodo »

Eofor wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:46 pm An example from here in Australia is that our laws classify a
'Flick knife or other similar device that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by any pressure applies to a button, spring or device in or attached to the handle of the knife'
as a prohibited weapon.

Thats pretty much any decent folding pocket knife with a thumb stud if they want to get nasty.
I believe the exact same sentence exists in UK law
Gimli: It's true you don't see many Dwarf-women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for Dwarf-men.
Aragorn: It's the beards.
Tom_Ranger
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Tom_Ranger »

Iodo wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:07 pm
Eofor wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:46 pm An example from here in Australia is that our laws classify a
as a prohibited weapon.

I believe the exact same sentence exists in UK law
I'm a little late to the discussion, bu I live in Ohio (USA). Here we can conceal carry any knife as long as it's a TOOL and not designed or used as a weapon. BUT, we can carry any weapon as long as it's open carried (in a sheath on a belt for all to see). Depending on the circumstances I often carry one (when doing laundry late at night). On an offtopic note, guns we can open carry or conceal carry, no permits required.
Life is a great adventure; if I live to be 10,000 years old, it won't be enough.
Eofor
Haeropada

Post by Eofor »

Tom_Ranger wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:54 pm If I was ever going to send you something like that, it would likely be a.... LAMP with a unique interior.
I'm fairly sure you're joking but just in case you must know that however well intentioned this is a terrible idea. It's essentially importation of an illegal weapon and if it gets picked up there is the fine and then you get put onto a watch list and they will then intercept anything you bring in for inspection.