Several Cloak questions

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Cimrandir
Haeropada

Several Cloak questions

Post by Cimrandir »

Hey everybody,

I have one cloak, it's dark green and rather heavy. I try not to use it in the the woods as it catches on things. So, I need to make a new one for Rangering. Therefore, I've got several questions regarding cloaks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.) Is there a fabric that is light yet durable? Preferably that keeps you warm in 50ish degree weather but is cool enough to wear on all but the hottest summer days? Possibly a cotton/ linen blend? Or some other cloth?

2.) How do you keep the cloak from strangling you if you throw it over your shoulder?

3.) Is there a pattern that ya'll use for your Ranger cloak? Something that will reach down to your ankles and wrap all the way around your body.

4.) How do you guys manage to get your quivers to sit right on your shoulder with your cloaks? I know that in the movies they cut slits in the cloak but I would rather not do that.

5.) This question is more curiosity than need, but how do ya'll fasten your cloaks?

Thanks for all the help,
TexasRanger36
Persona : Cimrandir - late 3rd Age Dunedain
kaelln

Re: Several Cloak questions

Post by kaelln »

TexasRanger36 wrote:I try not to use it in the the woods as it catches on things.
Our founder, Andy's, solution for this is what he calls a "watch cloak", a short cloak that ends somewhere around your hips.
TexasRanger36 wrote:1.) Is there a fabric that is light yet durable? Preferably that keeps you warm in 50ish degree weather but is cool enough to wear on all but the hottest summer days? Possibly a cotton/ linen blend? Or some other cloth?
The fabric choices that folks seem to prefer around here are wool, linen, and canvas. Wool for cold weather, linen for warmer weather, and treated canvas or oilcloth for wet weather.
TexasRanger36 wrote:2.) How do you keep the cloak from strangling you if you throw it over your shoulder?
Cloak and closure style has a big impact on this. Trial and error, man, trial and error!
TexasRanger36 wrote:3.) Is there a pattern that ya'll use for your Ranger cloak? Something that will reach down to your ankles and wrap all the way around your body.
There aren't any "official" patterns (yet!), but the closest would probably be Andy's design. Andy's site is down, but you can download an archived version here:

http://mysticcauldron.com/Meranger.zip

Andy's cloak and watchcloak patterns are both there, along with some good reading about his philosophy and ideas.

TexasRanger36 wrote:4.) How do you guys manage to get your quivers to sit right on your shoulder with your cloaks? I know that in the movies they cut slits in the cloak but I would rather not do that.
I'm not that far along yet, so someone else?

TexasRanger36 wrote:5.) This question is more curiosity than need, but how do ya'll fasten your cloaks?
I used a cloak clasp for my version of a watch cloak. I'm making a winter cloak from two wool blankets, lined with fleece, and I'll be using a button for that. You can see both Andy's watch cloak, and my rather fanciful interpretion here:

http://www.ranger.budgetauthenticity.or ... atch+cloak

Hope that was helpful!
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Keeping the cloak from strangling you and how to clasp your cloak:
One way to combine both is to take a cloak pin or clasp and pin it completely through your cloak and through your shirt or tunic. This will keep your cloak from riding up around your neck.

Keeping your quiver positioned: The best way to do this is by using a three or four strap quiver and wear a cloak completely exposing one shoulder. Your quiver will keep the cloak away from your second shoulder and the cloak will help keep from quiver from shifting
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Thanks for the help fellows.

I like the idea of the watch cloak; I will have to try a variant of it. I was planning to use my cloak for both my Middle Earth Ranger outfit as well as my Ranger's Apprentice costume. Therefore, while I planning a full length cloak (‘cause a Ranger can't be seen, right?), that watch cloak has given me an idea.

I was searching for fabric online and came across this. What do you guys think of this blend?
http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3533-AA.shtml

Regarding the strangling cloak problem, maybe a closure similar to Frodo's traveling-to-Bree cloak would work. Feasible? On the other hand, I can try pinning the cloak to my shirt, I like that idea.

@Peter Remling - what exactly is a "three or four strap quiver”?

Anyway, thanks again for all this help. I really appreciate it!

TexasRanger36
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

A three strap quiver would be one similar to the movie version of Legolas'.

A four strap quiver or hunting quiver looks like a backpack configuration, except for a vertical quiver in place of the backpack.
Cimrandir
Haeropada

Post by Cimrandir »

Ahh thanks, I'll have to look for one.
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

TexasRanger36 wrote:Hey everybody,

1.) Is there a fabric that is light yet durable? Preferably that keeps you warm in 50ish degree weather but is cool enough to wear on all but the hottest summer days? Possibly a cotton/ linen blend? Or some other cloth?

TexasRanger36
I've never found one cloak that will work year round, due to weather variations. My basic cloak is an old British police cloak. Thick melton type wool, but only hip length and no hood. Has a clasp at the neck, but also buttons down the front. Sheds water like crazy but eventually will start to soak it up and get heavy. I wear this one more than any other.

I also have an oilskin cloak (Panther Primitives) that I wear in warm, wet weather. I got the detachable hood for it, also.

Finally, I have my bombproof cloak. Ankle length, heavy wool lined with slightly lighter wool. This is one that I've slept in, when I didn't bother to take a tent. Also works as a mega blanket on sub freezing nights under canvas. Deep hood. The only drawback is that it weighs in at about 9 pounds, dry. Not for general use, but for outdoor use in a New England winter, it works great.

Hawk