Teaching Tolkien

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Cinead
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Teaching Tolkien

Post by Cinead »

Mae Govannen Brothers and Sisters!

I thought I would share a bit o' bout myself.

I teach High School English and fortunately I get to set mine own curriculum...

My freshmen all read The Hobbit and all of my sophmores read the entire Lord of the Rings cycle throughout the year.

Some LOVE it and some hate it.....but I LOVE IT!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Cleddyf

Re: Teaching Tolkien

Post by Cleddyf »

lucky them, my english teacher decided to use a paragraph from the two towers as an unfamilar text exercise, she didn't realize that she had the school tolkein nut in her class......
end result....
i just about get referred when she gets all pissed off with me correcting all her mistakes.....
and she lost what little respect people had for her because she was stupid enough that she argued with me about lord of the rings
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Cleddyf wrote:i just about get referred when she gets all pissed off with me correcting all her mistakes.....and she lost what little respect people had for her because she was stupid enough that she argued with me about lord of the rings
Gotta love teachers that can't admit when they're wrong. My senior high school english class was supposed to be on british literature. We read Beowulf (awesome)l, some Chaucer, and various other classics. We were nearing the end of the year and I brought up Tolkien, much to the disdain of the fairly large Jock population in the room. She didn't want us to read something that we couldn't finish by the end of the year (smart woman; I'd have been disappointed if we'd only gotten to discuss part of the Rings series) and she didn't want high school seniors reading the Hobbit, so I conned her into having us all read and discuss the Silmarillion. Those Jocks never forgave me, but I know they're all better people for it... ;)

Maybe they'll thank me at reunion in another half decade. *giant sarcastic grin*
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Greg wrote:
Cleddyf wrote:i just about get referred when she gets all pissed off with me correcting all her mistakes.....and she lost what little respect people had for her because she was stupid enough that she argued with me about lord of the rings
Gotta love teachers that can't admit when they're wrong. My senior high school english class was supposed to be on british literature. We read Beowulf (awesome)l, some Chaucer, and various other classics. We were nearing the end of the year and I brought up Tolkien, much to the disdain of the fairly large Jock population in the room. She didn't want us to read something that we couldn't finish by the end of the year (smart woman; I'd have been disappointed if we'd only gotten to discuss part of the Rings series) and she didn't want high school seniors reading the Hobbit, so I conned her into having us all read and discuss the Silmarillion. Those Jocks never forgave me, but I know they're all better people for it... ;)

Maybe they'll thank me at reunion in another half decade. *giant sarcastic grin*
Oh, wow... those poor jocks. ;D Well done.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Cleddyf

Post by Cleddyf »

Greg wrote:

wow... i liv in envy of your english teacher conning skills.......
maybe i'll do that next year
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

It's funny. When I was in High School- back when we still chiselled our marks in stone- I would have hated for a teacher to make me read LOTR. At least until I read it, then I would have loved them for it.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Eric C wrote:It's funny. When I was in High School- back when we still chiselled our marks in stone-
Eric I thought you were still doing cave paintings :lol: :lol: I'll go hide now I don't need an arrow in the butt.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Willrett wrote: Eric I thought you were still doing cave paintings :lol: :lol: I'll go hide now I don't need an arrow in the butt.

Young Whippersnapper, Why we ought to let you hunt Mastadons by yourself!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Peter Remling wrote:
Willrett wrote: Eric I thought you were still doing cave paintings :lol: :lol: I'll go hide now I don't need an arrow in the butt.

Young Whippersnapper, Why we ought to let you hunt Mastadons by yourself!

Just as soon as I get these arrowheads knapped out, you're in trouble young man! We cave folk have got each others' backs.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

I had an english teacher last year (french school,still teaching colours to 13 year olds), and she was sooooo rubbish at english. Numerous times, we would disagree on a word and argue about it for 5 minutes. I then asked her to look in a dictionnary... Oh you should of seen her face, still wouldn't admit it though. And this year i have an english teacher who never gives me full marks on an english test even when i should normally (cause she hates me for being better at english than her) like finding mistakes like that it's not authentic enough for a native English-speaker...

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.