Story Contest Entry (2010) Beasts of Burden

Got a song, a tale, some news of far off places or Orcs gathering? Step up and loose your word hoard.

Moderator: Greg

Ranger of Arthedain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Story Contest Entry (2010) Beasts of Burden

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

The painted stallion dashed rapidly through the underbrush and trees of Chetwood, dodging arrows that were swiftly trying to penetrate their target. Foam began to form around the stallion's mouth, his brown and white hair beginning to stick together from the sweat forming on his body, despite the cool wind that blew past them. The rider, dressed in nature's colors; a hood and a mask covering her face, rose up off the light weight saddle, allowing the horse to glide easily over the fallen tree trunk that lay before them. She gazed over her shoulder, seeing two other horses slowly disappear behind the fallen tree trunk her steed had just cleared, the riders, brigands belonging to Sharkey no doubt, upset and seething with anger because their own steeds refused to go any further.

"It would seem we've lost them, Aergolas." the female ranger spoke from behind her forest green mask in a hushed tone, pulling up on the reins to slow the stallion down. Receiving a snort in return from her friend, the ranger chuckled lightly, patting the side of his sweat covered neck. She knew he was just as weary as she, having done naught but hard, treacherous riding since the North Downs. She could feel his muscles trembling beneath her, causing her to pull him to a stop, climbing off of his back. The ranger searched him over for any injuries that could have been inflicted by a stray arrow or a thorn from the underbrush.

She checked his hooves to make sure there was not a rock lodged inside. The woman turned her gaze towards the western skies, watching the large orange ball of light begin to sink behind the mountains, turning the sky beautiful hues of orange and pink. "We've only a few more miles to go, friend, can you make it?" The stallion tossed his head, pressing his nose into her hand. Smiling, the young woman pulled the reins over his head, leading him towards the rows of rising rooftops, with smoke billowing out of the chimneys, that was beginning to present themselves before her. It wasn't long after, that she finally saw the eastern gates of Bree with the two guards standing watch.

The town was bustling with action as it normally did, even as twilight turned to darkness. Weaving her way around the townspeople and the carts that rolled by, the woman led her companion into the relatively empty stables, save for a few of the townspeople; one whom she figured to be the stable hand, that was next to the Prancing Pony Inn. The young ranger led Aergolas into one of the main last stalls, untacking him so she could thoroughly treat him to the rest he so rightly deserved.

"Beasts of burden, they are. all's they're good for is gittin' ya from one place t' another and after that they're jus' takin' up space!"

The ranger peered over her horse's back at the man whom had spoken the words, stopping the brush she was using in mid-stroke. The man faltered for a moment with his words when he caught her steely gaze, grumbling incoherently to himself soon after about pesky rangers needing to keep their noses out of other being's businesses. She watched the young stable hand afterwards, continuing to brush the dirt and dried sweat off of her steed. Aergolas pawed at the hay bedding on the floor, whinnying softly at his friend whom was brushing his mane out. The young female chuckled, patting his back as she exited his stall. "Alright, alright I needn't be told twice." The stable hand turned to watch the young woman for a moment, giving her a quizzical look. "Beg pardon, miss?" The ranger turned around from gathering up a small bucket of oats from a barrel in the corner of the stable, looking at the young man at the front stall. "Forgive me, sir, I wasn't speaking to you, but to my friend here." Aergolas tossed his head once more, snorting at the man as if to tell him that he was the friend she was speaking to.

"To...your horse?"

He couldn't believe what he was hearing; this woman was speaking to...an animal? It was absurd! "This horse belongs to no one but himself, my good man," she smiled at him from in behind her mask, “he is my friend and companion; an ally if you will."

She wasn't making any sense at all to him. The stable hand raised two incredulous eyebrows at her, sitting the bucket of oats he himself had been carrying to one of the other steeds being kept at the stables that night. "Surely you jest! A horse is just..."

"A beast of burden?" The ranger cut him off, raising a sandy brown eyebrow at him. The young stable hand looked down at the hay covered wooden floor for a moment, scratching the back of his head sheepishly.

"I use to think the same as you at one time, friend." She smiled at him again, watching the painted stallion munch on his bucket of oats happily. "They do far more than take you from place to place. A horse is a loyal creature, if treated right. Show them love and understanding and they will reciprocate the very same back."

"A ranger's bow and his sword are indeed most needed and will protect you in the heat of battle, that is true, but.." her father paused for a moment, running his hand down the neck of a chestnut mare, " a horse will lead you to safety where a bow or a sword cannot. Trust and love your horse as if it were a person; for a horse is a ranger's greatest friend when he has wandered so far from home. No weapon can burden so great a load for many a mile like a steed can. When asked to do something, no matter what, a horse; if handled well, will do exactly as you say and never fly off track like a stray arrow would. Remember this, Aeron..."

She paused beside the stable hand before she left, placing a hand upon his shoulder. "Because one day that steed, your friend, will save your life." She finished the rest of her thought aloud, patting the stable hand on the back as she walked out of the stables and into the chilly, wintry night. The stable hand allowed the silence to engulf him, save for a few horses snorting at each other, wondering if what the ranger had said was true; that one of these beasts could actually save another's life.

A few days later word had begun to spread that there was a fire in Bree; the stable next to the Prancing Pony Inn had caught fire from a lit oil lamp that was left unattended. Few horses were injured and one was announced as a hero, even. The stable hand received minor injuries from one of the boards that had fallen from the roof during the fire. His unconscious body was dragged out by one of the mares there that he always made a point to take care of first. When the female ranger caught wind of this miraculous news, she smiled to herself and led her own companion away from the Forsaken Inn, heading off deep into the Weather Hills, her area of charge for the time being.

"I tried to tell him, did I not?" she sighed for dramatic effect, causing the stallion to whinny at her and shake his head, "But no one will listen to us dangerous, pesky rangers, it seems."
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Story Contest Entry (2010) Beasts of Burden

Post by Peter Remling »

Beth, Have you ever heard the expression "old soul in a young body"?

I liked your story very much and as Eric posted on another thread, "you'll fit right in".

Welcome again!
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Very, very nice!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I like it! Great pacing, good storytelling, you have a gift, young Ranger!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ranger of Arthedain

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

Peter Remling wrote:Beth, Have you ever heard the expression "old soul in a young body"?

I liked your story very much and as Eric posted on another thread, "you'll fit right in".

Welcome again!
You know, coincidentally, that is the one expression that reminds me so much of the Dunedain and the quote I always think of when writing/Roleplaying as my ranger! :)

And thanks to you all for your kind comments! :) At first I didn't think of entering the contest, but the idea hit me at 1 in the morning :P And I couldn't go to sleep until I had it finished!
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Cleddyf

Post by Cleddyf »

i like it, is there anymore to come perhaps?
:P
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

I'm glad you decided to enter. :mrgreen: An enjoyable read. It's good to see that the Dúnedain haven't forsaken the Forsaken Inn.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.