Happened again!

Belly up to the Bar and tell us about yourself.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

Happened again!

Post by Eric C »

Well, I got officially informed that we are going back on a week-on-week-off schedule at work starting Wednesday of this coming week. So I'll work Mon and Tues, then be short three days on the paycheck. After that I'll get a check for working one week, then a check from unemployment.

This is very displeasing considering that I know of mills that are thinking of starting a second shift just to keep up with demand for their lumber. The CEO here simply would rather lay his people off and cause unnecessary hardship for all of us than to sell the lumber at its current price. So, yeah, it ticks me off pretty bad to have this happen.

I'm thinking a career change could be in order. I'd love to get on somewhere that would allow me to go finish my degree.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Happened again!

Post by Peter Remling »

Doesn't the mill owner know that if you sell even at a less than desired price he'll still be making more money by turning his stock than by sitting on it and hoping it comes back up in price.

We're all pulling for you Eric.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I hope things turn around for you soon.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Pete a friend of mine once told me, "A little mismanagement goes a long way." I was there for the last couple of years before Mr. Toney retired (the man who built the company). It was the best place I had ever worked. That was a long time ago now. It's now one of the biggest jokes I've ever seen. As long as they can still take their trips to wherever they want and buy whatever they want, they don't care what happens to the rest of us. So it's time to find something else.

If it helps you to understand a little more, the son-in-law that is now in charge was a hatchet man for IBM. All he sees is the bottom line and evidently he doesn't see it very clearly either.

My philosophy has always been that if you take care of your people, they will take care of you.

Thanks guys. I've got a line or two on something different. So we'll see how that goes.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

Good luck, Eric. I've played that game and it's not fun. When the old man who started our agency died, another partner was brought in with all the NYC ideas of how a business should be run. We lost accounts and went from 120 people down to 25 in 3 years. I'd tell you my opinion of MBAs but this is a family board. Hang in there, something will turn up.

Hawk
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Keeping my fingers crossed that something good works out for you Eric!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks. Haven't heard anything yet, but I've got until Wednesday morning on the one lead. Bad leadership can and will wreck a company.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

I hope you find someplace where they appreciate good workers, Eric, and soon. Thoses places seem to be getting rarer and rarer.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Hang in there! Praying for you!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Thinking good thoughts for you and your family! I know that a better job is just around the corner, so hang in there!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"