So, what are we doing?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

So, what are we doing?

Post by Eric C »

Every now and then I like to post one of these threads just to see what's going on in our community.

I don't know about your locations, but here IT'S BEEN COLD!!!! Not to mention it has been a wet winter so far. So the forge has been shut down in these parts for a while now and I'm going stir crazy! Hopefully with the lay-off I'll have some good days to get out and start catching up on knife orders if I don't find another job soon.

But in the meantime I've started working on finishing a few projects. Today I have finished a leather vest for my wife. I still need a better lace for the front and I make no claims of being a tailor. But it's pretty much done. Pics coming soon.

At the moment I have started forming the straps for Elyon's haversack. I may just carve out the pattern on it like I did on the Dunedain Sister sheath a fellow forumite just picked up from me (I'll let him/her tell you about that one if he/she is willing). I'll let Elyon give his input on it and go from there.

Then there's the boots I need to get back on and the maille project. And I am planning to set up an archery range in the yard to start working on my skills there. That may wait until the weather breaks though. So I have plenty to keep me busy while the weather has forced me inside.

So, how about you folks? What are you up to in these cold times? Any projects you've been meaning to get to but haven't had the time for? Any winter treks under your belt, or in the planning? Let us know what's up!
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Re: So, what are we doing?

Post by Greg »

Well, the weather's been pretty nice here, so I've been pounding away in my own little makeshift forge, working on custom fittings for a Katana blade I'm outfitting (guard, handle, pommel, and scabbard from scrap) for a friend of mine.

Then, of course, there's the bird. First free flight/hunt is happening tomorrow, which is a big stresser, of course. Need to make a spare pair of flying jesses (no holes/slits for a leash so they don't snag on branches, etc.) tonight for that.

I've been tying fletching onto shafts for a certain forum member's custom dozen this week (almost done, thanks for your patience! They're gonna fly great!) and hopefully will get back into tillering my endless personal bush bow project soon after.

I've got one last thing to do to the crossbow Elegost won last photo contest and then, now that the holidays have passed and the lines at the post office have dwindled, I'll be able to get it shipped.

Lastly, I've drawn out the complete pattern for my new rangering boots and have cut the pieces out of some heavy cardstock. They await the funds necessary for the eventual purchase of a new hide for the boots.

So I've been pretty busy myself. Sounds like things are in motion as ever at the Cartrette house!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ranger of Arthedain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

I love the cold weather and snow, save for the fact that it puts me out of a job; we've been getting a lot of wet snow and ice here where I live (I take care of the neighbor's horses since the owner works in the mines and cannot do it himself, that and it's a way I can still work with a mare I previously owned, but had to sell due to financial problems), and it makes the woods here that much more dangerous due to mountain lions and coyotes. I've been meaning to finally start on my ranger kit (I know, I know...a little slow on the uptake), but I really have no idea where to start as far as the garb goes. :| Guess it would've helped if I had paid attention in fashion and interior design, huh?

The only leather I work with is from horse gear; saddles, bridles, etc. Leather for ranger gear, however, is an entirely different matter. That aside I've been exercising my arm (courtesy of a tip Greg posted on another thread, which works wonders) muscles so I can begin shooting my bow :). I've also been taking peeks at colleges around here as I really do need to get on the ball and get my life started; am hoping to become a park ranger *whistles* 8) as it is the closest thing to being an actual ranger, that and it's something I've been wanting to do since I was a kid.

Hope all goes well with your hunt tomorrow, Greg! It sounds like it will prove to be interesting. :)
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

The cloak is always a great place to start with the Ranger garb, Beth -- it's the one item that just screams "Ranger", in my opinion. I could suggest a good pattern for you to use if you'd like.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ranger of Arthedain

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

I would greatly appreciate it, Ernildhir. :) I need all the help I can get, lol.
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Ernildhir wrote:The cloak is always a great place to start with the Ranger garb, Beth -- it's the one item that just screams "Ranger", in my opinion. I could suggest a good pattern for you to use if you'd like.
Agreed! I'm wearing my garb at the moment and am wrapped in my cloak. They come in handy when it's cold. And tonight, my wife and I will throw it over the foot of our bed to keep our feet warm.

Greg: Yeah, I need to finish up some projects before I start any more. Too many irons in the fire as usual.

Oh and one more project to add. Ruinferil wants a vest like the one I just finished, so I've got to come up with a smaller pattern for her.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I have been working on some scabbards for both the 12 and 18in sax that I have and one for both the swords that I have. I just picked up a set of patterns at jo anns for a few different items. I have been picking up patterns and material and hope to get atleast 2 sets of clothes one cotton and one wool (light wool mix for now) they will mostly be machine sewed. I am getting ready to order some feathers so I can start on arrows. I have been on call alot so I have only managed a few hours a week for the last little while.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Ranger of Arthedain wrote:I love the cold weather and snow, save for the fact that it puts me out of a job; we've been getting a lot of wet snow and ice here where I live (I take care of the neighbor's horses since the owner works in the mines and cannot do it himself, that and it's a way I can still work with a mare I previously owned, but had to sell due to financial problems), and it makes the woods here that much more dangerous due to mountain lions and coyotes. I've been meaning to finally start on my ranger kit (I know, I know...a little slow on the uptake), but I really have no idea where to start as far as the garb goes. :| Guess it would've helped if I had paid attention in fashion and interior design, huh?

The only leather I work with is from horse gear; saddles, bridles, etc. Leather for ranger gear, however, is an entirely different matter. That aside I've been exercising my arm (courtesy of a tip Greg posted on another thread, which works wonders) muscles so I can begin shooting my bow :). I've also been taking peeks at colleges around here as I really do need to get on the ball and get my life started; am hoping to become a park ranger *whistles* 8) as it is the closest thing to being an actual ranger, that and it's something I've been wanting to do since I was a kid.

Hope all goes well with your hunt tomorrow, Greg! It sounds like it will prove to be interesting. :)
Beth: Instead of listing what you don't have, try thinking about the things you do. Most of us have altered existing posessions to make something more ME compatible.

Start small:,
several small bent and filed nails will make fish hooks,
Pouches can be made from any type of material, there are many styles pictured through out the forum
Willrett even devised making a quiver out of a jacket sleeve
Eric made his two tone cloak out of several wool army blanket

Any type of gear or garb has probably been made from scratch by one of members, just pick an item and either do a search or simply ask
Most every type of gear can be fashioned for $10 or less, in many cases substantially less. The few exceptions I can think of are better quality weapons and armor, which you generally can't trek with anyway.

What small kit items do you need that you can't fabricate? Do you have a fire starting kit, a hone for your knife or camp axe?
Oissene
Wayfarer

Post by Oissene »

Its been cold and wet here... Aquired a new pack(swissarmy surplus) for my birthday...been refurbishin tha leather...made a pair of leather gaiters; they wear beautifully, need a dark dye to finish them up. My birthday is tha same as Tolkien's...3 January...so always make it a movie day. Been practicing fire starting skills in this damp, cold weather..with varied results(as 1 could very well guess)..cape pattern is ready and awaiting tha fabric to finish dyeing....been working on sword technique...both 2 sword(a form of Filipino Arnis) and Long Sword (using J. Clement's book as a basis for my training program)..and a handful of day and two overnighters to check my cold weather gear and remember why fireplaces lit and cracklin and hot tea are so so wonderful...and why I am so so grateful to be retired from tha military....field exercises in this kinda weather( add ur own word here)..I like cold, I like dark...not much of a fan of wet.....
watchinglisteningdefending
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

Since making a career change to become an English teacher I have had very little time! The alternative certification route means that I am also a full time graduate student as well as a full time teacher! I only was able to bow hunt once this season.....

...BUT, I have been designing two new knives that I will begin making when it gets a bit warmer!

Next fall the orcs had better beware of swift death that will be waiting for them in the forests of Kentucky!
Here I stand...unbowed, unbent, unbroken.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

[quote="Peter RemlingWillrett even devised making a quiver out of a jacket sleeve
Eric made his two tone cloak out of several wool army blanket
[/quote]

I made a quiver out of a pant leg. :lol: I still use it too as I have not finished my son's quiver yet so I can move on to my own.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Not been doing much here kit wise, kinda cash poor until tax refund comes in, but I have been working on a shirt with some rough Strider inspired embroidery on the sleeves. My wife has been crocheting some wool toboggans in various Ranger-y that she will be putting up for sale next week. Eric, I did the same thing with my cloak a couple of weeks back when it was so cold. Stayed nice and toasty!

Beth, are you on Facebook? I have a good friend on there who is also a Ranger, and a great friend to horses. She lives in Tenn. and I think you guys would have alot in common. Plus, she's pretty good with garb and might be able to help you out concerning ideas for female Ranger attire.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

Freezing, mostly :lol: The southern New England area should not be getting this much snow. Finally dug through the waist high snowbank to get into the shop this morning, so I can start/finish a bunch of projects. I did find out, though, that Fiebings Oil Dye does still work at 8 degrees F.

Went up to an 18th centruy fort in New Hampshire for a kit demo/lecture. Was unable to get out on showshoes though.

I'm sewing for the sutlery for Birka. One of our new lines is SCA directed, pre 17th century sailor/pirate. I'm tired of seeing tricornes at SCA events. So, proper belts, cassacks, slops, etc. Also sewing a scabbard for the Sinclair Sabre that I made out of a cheap cutlass blank.

I've got a hand forged damascus dagger blank that I was given years ago. I'm filing new shoulders onto the ricasso, so I can shorten the grip. Don't know if I'll sell this one or keep it.

Reworking the sleeves on my padded jack, and making some adjustments to the leather jerkin that goes under it.

Rebuilding my leather ranger pack. I don't like the straps currently on it, and I'm thinking of lining it with oilskin.

That's about it, I think.

Hawk
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Sounds like we have alot of projects and no pics (myself included) cant wait until the pics start rolling in.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Ken, what will be the price on these hats, and what size head will they fit? Commerical knit hats tend to slide off my 23" inch mellon. I mean really, it's not a head, it's a basketball.

I've made a wool cloak lined with fleece, it's warm but I'm not satisfied yet. I'm nearing completion on a reversable tunic, just waiting to find 3 more pairs of clasps I like. It's my pattern, and I'll be working to refine the pattern on future attempts. I haven't worked on my boots lately, but I've been getting the urge again. I've just acquired some leather for a duster/coat similar to Aragorn's in the movie, and I have a detached hood rattling around in my head that I want to try as well.

I've also just found a bit of woods close to my place that might be suitable for camping and trekking. There's lots of briars, and I'm concerned about the possibility that rattlesnakes might decide to share my bed, but it's a possibility.

The cold and personal events have had me a little down and not really wanting to do much, so I need to get busy and finish up some of this stuff.