So, what are we doing?

For all of the Talk that doesn't fit elsewhere.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Steve b
Dúnadan

Re: So, what are we doing?

Post by Steve b »

The cold has been a real problem. We've been getting a major storm a week for the last month. Between cleaning up from them and recovering from the clean up, and dealing with the cold itself, there's not much energy left for getting stuff done. Really gives you an appreciation of why armies went into winter quarters and did nothing for 3 months.

Above and beyond the projects gathering dust, I need to get out into the woods, light a campfire and just sit. Get back under canvas and listen to the night sounds. Wake up, cook have tea and bacon cooked on the fire. And that is all another 2 months away.

Hawk
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

kaelln wrote:Ken, what will be the price on these hats, and what size head will they fit? Commerical knit hats tend to slide off my 23" inch mellon. I mean really, it's not a head, it's a basketball.
She says 15 a hat, including shipping in CONUS, and the more you buy the cheaper they get. All hats are 100% wool, though she does have other blends. She says her head is 22 inches and it fits hers quite well. We will take some pics tomorrow as I have to work later and you can see if you like the design or not.
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ranger of Arthedain
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

Cinead, it's a relief to hear there's another ranger here in Ky roaming the mountains. :mrgreen:

Ken, yes I'm on facebook :) I look forward to meeting your friend on there!

And Pete, thanks for the tips! :) I created the list of the things I already have and was quite surprised to see that I had most of it already. Save for the attire itself and another blanket roll.
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Okie! 8) and all my father's family are from KY! Small world!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Mirimaran wrote:Okie! 8) and all my father's family are from KY! Small world!
GREAT!!! And I'm . . . not from KY. Sorry :oops: :lol: Anyway, Beth, most of us are on FB. If you find one of us, you'll get linked to the rest, I'm sure.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

we have a facebook group to that we will add you to.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Cleddyf

Post by Cleddyf »

i haven't been doing much, the school year starts in a couple of weeks so i've been busy getting ready,but i've been reading Tolkein's 'Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun', looking for a blanket to make a cloak out of and working on my bracers
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Working on my Colonial Ranger kit lately. Also preparing for the class I am giving at our Baronial Birthday/Novice Schola; Medieval Hunting in the Current Middle Ages.

Practicing belly dance when it is impractical or unsafe to walk outdoors; I would practice it anyway but I lengthen the time under bad weather conditions.

Reading and studying a great deal.

That's most of it.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

School has kept me pretty busy this month. I'm still working on some tooled leather armor and an arm guard, I've got 2-3 blades that I decided to remake handles for and, if the weather warms up a little, I need to get some archery practice in. Padded and strapped my new SCA helmet but haven't made an SCA practice in weeks due to school and weather...really need to get in some practice. Need to make a new shield for SCA as well.

Man, looking at this list, I need to get to work :lol:
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Ranger of Arthedain

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

Willrett wrote:we have a facebook group to that we will add you to.
Cool! 8)

Eric, :lol: you were right, haha. I've nearly found everyone :P

Facebook: One social network to rule them all, one network to find them (ranger buddies, that is 8) ). One network to connect them all and through the internet bind them (we'll make the last line work somehow, my creative juices don't run properly this early in the morning :P )

Cleddy, Sigurd and Gudrun is a good read 8)

Eledhwen, that sounds like a very interesting class :).
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

It came about from doing this kind of Rangering.

I decided I wanted to hunt in full 'Ranger' kit, which is not very different from Medieval obviously. So I got some of the 'bible' texts on the subject of medieval hunting, a surprisingly lightly studied field at best, and spent an entire season making my own medieval arrows and gear and going hunting with it all. Here we do not have to wear orange for archery season...just all other seasons so I made an orange 'jupon' to wear during shotgun season (we can still hunt archery during shotgun and black powder seasons).

That led to a massive resurgence of interest in things medieval..as they pertain to hunting, which led to joining the St. Hubert's Rangers. With support from the local Baron and Baroness I established the Guild of Foresters & Rangers here and will be teaching the aforementioned class on March 5th.

Eventually we'll be organizing hunts in totally medieval/Ranger kit and clothing. Including hawking, I might add.

Funny how some things will trigger massive interest. I'm currently involved in making my own bow (first one so I expect it to be a disaster), making more of my arrows, making better gear, and making clothing suitable for either the middle ages or Middle Earth.

Rangering is good for the soul, yep. At least in my case.

Silivrian
Nandalad!
Chris Russo

Post by Chris Russo »

Lately, I've been hard at work making more cold-weather Ranger gear. The Fellowship traveled through the winter, after all.

I recently crafted a new rectangular cloak, a sort of Ranger poncho, which can double as ground-cloth or blanket. I also made a new deerskin jerkin in brown, to replace my black one (which will be cannibalized into something Rangery for my wife). Next projects on the docket: a blanket shirt (or tunic) and an improved bedroll. I'm tired of being cold on treks.

Pics forthcoming, as soon as the snow clears enough to allow for modeling.
"If you bring a Ranger with you, it is well to pay attention to him."
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Greg wrote:
I've been tying fletching onto shafts for a certain forum member's custom dozen this week (almost done, thanks for your patience! They're gonna fly great!)
So... Greg... how much do the arrows cost!?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Cleddyf

Post by Cleddyf »

Ranger of Arthedain wrote:
Facebook: One social network to rule them all, one network to find them (ranger buddies, that is 8) ). One network to connect them all and through the internet bind them (we'll make the last line work somehow, my creative juices don't run properly this early in the morning :P.
change internet to web, it helps with the number of syllables
one social network to rule them all
one network to find them
one network to connect them all
and though the web bind them
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Due to the situation here we've had a week off school, so I made my first ever vambraces and started a maille coif! Bidding on a Norman helmet on eBay. Hoping to develop my sleeping kit (ie: bedroll ,blanket, shelter?) during the February holidays. Otherwise haven't really done any ranger stuff. Oh! actually I did try some forging at a friend's house and greatly enjoyed it, despite all I did was just hitting a red-hot metal bar randomly cause it was fun!

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.