Pictures of your ranger kit

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Pictures of your ranger kit

Post by Peter Remling »

Good looking kit, who made the gambeson ?
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Awesome kit, Theowl.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

It is indeed an Atrim blade. My gambeson is by Revival. It doesn't look very comfortable, but it's broken in at all the right spots so I like it quite a bit.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Nice Gus makes great Blades.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

He really does. I'm chopped wood with that thing and you'd never know.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Very nice!
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

Nice stuff, Jonathan and Owl! How's that bedroll/quiver setup work out for you, owl? I love mine.

Keep it coming, everyone!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

I used it Tuesday night in fact, and I like it quite a bit. The grappling hook is a tad mall-ninja-y, but it comes in handy with how steep and rocky it gets around here.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

theowl: Who made your fighting knife?
theowl
Vendor

Post by theowl »

It was a very small custom run by Kriss cutlery I believe. There were somewhere around 20 made for an elf group back in 2003/2004. The store I work at managed to get ahold of one from one of the people in the group and I snatched it up literally the moment I saw it. It's still one of my favorite blades, really well balanced and very well made.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Cool.
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

Jonathan B. wrote:Nope I rehabbed the stock one. The leather/faux leather it was covered in dried out and split, the core was split and cracked from the get go so I stripped it down, filled holes, re-glued it, sanded, and did a linseed oil/bees wax treatment.I would like to make a new one but it's not in the cards at the moment.I'm not really a very crafty person, I mean I like to try and make things but I'm not very good at it. So most of my stuff is bought either from ebay or various web sites, now I do personalize most of my kit in whatever way possible.I did make the bola and did the cordage for my slings oh and I make my own bowstrings, but nothing compared to what most of you all are capable of.
I just came up on this page, Jonathan don't worry none of us were born with the skills we have to do crafting. I think i can speak for us all when i say that each person has spent hours and hours, and repeted failures to get where we are at.( and we still mess up). time and practice, AND lotst of questions :D remember next to pictures we love questions. ( post edited for my usual typing mistakes)
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Dwayne, thank you very much, and I most certainly will be asking questions when money permitting I try to make a few pieces of kit that I still need.
deadextra
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by deadextra »

Alright, I finished the first round of my kit production.

Altogether:

Belt, generic European ethnicity 12th-13th century bronze belt buckle.

Reliquary pouch, linen with silk thread stitching, embroidery, and drawstrings. Based on early 13th century extant reliquary pouch in Musée d'art religieux et d'art mosan.

Plain linen coin purse with linen stitching and hemp drawstrings. Based on extant 12th century bag in Musée d'art religieux et d'art mosan.

Knit wool bag. The pattern is based on an extant 10th century scrap of knit wool discovered in egypt. There was a large amount of trade throughout the Mediterranean in Sicily and such a bag being found there is certainly likely. This bag was made by my sister, she started with raw wool and she cleaned, carded, hand spun, dyed with natural dyes (Indigo, madder, and beets) and knit. I then added a linen liner which will prevent damage to the expensive imported bag and stop it from stretching.

Arming cap, based on images in the morgan bible.

Kyrtle, based on some early period finds and modified to necessity. I started this off as an inside layer of clothing and later decided it should be the outer, so I added the panels on the side instead of just having gores at the skirt and under the arm. I added the gores at the elbows when an elbow simply blew out. I found some references to thread of contrasting color being used for decoration early period. I haven't been able to substantiate this but I decided it would be a good experiment. Halfway up an arm I decided that if the reason for the different thread was for decoration, maybe it should be inside out from what is typical. I settled to do just that when I finished.

Then for those of you who don't mind seeing a guy in his underwear, here are my hosen and braes. Braes are based on the Morgan bible again, hosen are by an extant 14th century pair, but by illustrations they seem to have not changed significantly since the 11th century. About wearing the braes so low, I've looked at a lot of pictures and worn them around a lot, I find wearing them so that the drawstring rests on the quarduceps is quite comfortable and doesn't cut into the skin like if they were over the hips.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19219622/vlcsna ... 2m20s1.png

That's all for now, next is another shirt and then I'll either get ready for going out in the cold or start working on my heavy gambeson.

What does this have to do with Rangering though? Well... apart from the reliquary pouch I feel it's all relevant to Dale, the knit bag being from Rhun perhaps. My plan with the heavy gambeson is that I will have a barding symbol that I can stitch onto it for ranger activities and remove for my Sicilian normal SCA persona.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Nicely done! A lot of that is from the same basic era that I'm going for with my own SCA gear, as well as for rangering. May I ask where you got the belt buckle? And also how wide the belt is?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains