Cold Steel Seax project (continued)

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ringulf
Naugothrain

Re: Cold Steel Seax project (continued)

Post by Ringulf »

Yes it was, and you could do that but to save a bit of leather I would make some tipe of core. I have used half round wood "scales" by cutting a 1" dowel or broomstick to leghnth then split it and fix it to the tang and cover it or as in the case of my Gulinbursti seen below, I wrapped it tightly with very strong duct tape and sprayed it with spray seal then wrapped it with the latigo leather lacing. There are lots of core and wrap possibilities use what you got!

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

I like the idea of a core. How would you recommend I split a broomstick after cutting it down to length? I don't have any particularly precise or keen tools.

And how did you get that pommelish thing on yours?
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Gullenbursti is actually a pretty cheap Pakistani blade. but I have loved the shape of this style for years....Is it a knife?...is it an axe?...Who cares!
It's just what a dwarf wants to use if he is feeling Knife-ish and does not want to go for the seax!

I have seen them with finger ring guards and full brass knuckle type guards, or made from one flat peice with an index finger hole and handle wrapped in parracord, but to my chagrin I grabbed this one and it was in pretty bad shape.
I removed the guady handle and it had a thin rat tail tang.
I welded two peieces of 1/4" bar stock above and below and left about 3/4" of threading on the end.
I did what I mentiioned before for the handle and I found an old screw on Toledo pummel from a broken Mainne Gauche I have had for years and just screwed it on.

The thing throws like the devil, if it were not so fantastical looking with all its little spines and cuts, I would make it a close friend, Perhaps I will trace the shape and cut a few out without all the fancy stuff. But I don't want my seax getting jealous! (as if she has anything to worry about with all the tournaments she is doing well at!) Women! They are so insecure! :wink:
Last edited by Ringulf on Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Women. ;) Well, thanks for the info, Ringulf. Hopefully I will be able to give this a try during my spring break in a couple weeks.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

OH! PS hee hee, best way I know to split the broomstick is with a table saw set at half the thickness of the broom. a band saw or even a back saw with a miter box could do it. Then when you have it cut take the flat faces and sand them so that you have them sanded down to about the thickness of the tang between them. :mrgreen:
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

More CS Seax knives to look at. I made these for my Mentors Odus De Radford and Timucuan. I wanted to thank them for all the help given to me to get my thrown weapons marshalate and to make the Moot a sucess. I wanted them to look good but not too pretty to throw and made the sheaths in the Ranger Moot colors. The antlered one also got a simular scabard. All were adorned acording to their personas and the mentor pair was decorated with knotwork and runes bearing their names.

The cool part about the copper guard cap and butt cap is that eventually they will turn green and be even more rangery!
Aaron
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Aaron »

Those turned out fabulous, Scott! REALLY dig that copper.

What brand polymer clay are you using? I've tried out Sculpey III for various (Harry Potter related, lol) projects and found it to be pretty fun stuff.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I use a mixture of Super Sculpey with a bit of of Sculpey lll black and brown mixed in for suppleness and color.

By itself, The Super Sculpey is very hard, almost ceramic-like but adding in a bit of the more maliable Sculpey lll gives it enough resiliancy and flexability not to crack or shatter while also leaving it hard and polishable. (it is oddly like tempering a steel blade)

I use a black and brown shoe polish as a protective coat and a way to build luster into the simulated wooden handle.

I am afraid it is kind of like French cooking though, a little of this, a pinch of that, experience makes up for recepies, so it is all experimantation as to the mixtures. :mrgreen:
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Looks great!

How do you remove the black stuff from the blades, by the way? :p
Aaron
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Aaron »

Ringulf wrote:I use a mixture of Super Sculpey with a bit of of Sculpey lll black and brown mixed in for suppleness and color.

By itself, The Super Sculpey is very hard, almost ceramic-like but adding in a bit of the more maliable Sculpey lll gives it enough resiliancy and flexability not to crack or shatter while also leaving it hard and polishable. (it is oddly like tempering a steel blade)

I use a black and brown shoe polish as a protective coat and a way to build luster into the simulated wooden handle.

I am afraid it is kind of like French cooking though, a little of this, a pinch of that, experience makes up for recepies, so it is all experimantation as to the mixtures. :mrgreen:
Excellent, thanks. I've found that Sculpey III is great for "light duty" but anything rough and it breaks easily. I can see how Super Sculpey mixed in would get rid of that problem. And I know how you feel on the mixing...I dreaded having to figure out how to get just the right shade or when I mixed patterns of two different colors into my pieces (tried to simulate ironwood, didn't come out too bad really). I tried to get the polished wood grain look AFTER hardening, probably would have been much more effective to do it before baking.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

Love, love, love the two mentor blades! Really spectacular!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ernildhir wrote:Looks great!

How do you remove the black stuff from the blades, by the way? :p
I have found that working them by hand with a fine grit sanding sponge works well enough for me but it is messy. A sanding drum that was backed with foam would work to, I used to use them on a drill press or electric drill as I did not have a spindle sander. But a good old sanding sponge and elbow grease lets you remove the black and not mar the surface of the metal. leave just a bit on and it looks like the blade is older.

One caution though, be carful to sand off of the edge of the blade, those puppies are sharp!

And Kealin, Thanks we can incorporate a lot of that into ours.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Thank you once again, Ringulf. I actually finished rehilting the thing today. Now I just need to get that black stuff off with some sand paper, apparently. ;)
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

those blades look amazing Great work.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Ernildhir wrote:Thank you once again, Ringulf. I actually finished rehilting the thing today. Now I just need to get that black stuff off with some sand paper, apparently. ;)
Sandpaper will work Ernildir, but I think you will have better results with the sanding blocks. They are made of spongy foam, and you can get them at any hardware or home depot type store in fine and medium grits.

I got a package of 10 for around $3.50 at harbor frieght and they work fine.