Pictures of your ranger kit

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

I love your rig, Greg! Good job! How fast can you draw arrows and fire? And where did you get the shirt? :D
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Looking good, Greg!
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

With this new quiver design, I'm at about 3.5 seconds per arrow now, which is an average, including time lost on misses (grabbing for a nock and fumbling, etc.) I'm REALLY pleased. That being said, I probably need to get out more, and put the bow down every once in awhile. But with this new toy on my back, that's REALLY hard...

The shirt I designed myself. The idea came from the symphonic metal band I compose for; we all wear plain shirts with Dungeons & Dragson character classes on them, like labels on Non-Player Characters or something. I wear mine all the time! Soon, I'll be assembling a store on cafepress.com to sell them through, and I'll be setting it up so everything sells for the base price (no profit to me) so anyone who wants a cheap t-shirt can snag one. It's great quality; I've used it for just about every LARP I've done in the last 6 months or so. Then again, by LARP, I'm referring to dressing up in street clothes and cloaks with gear and walking around town making people feel awkward...but that's a story for another day.

I'm really pleased with how it all turned out. It works EXACTLY how it was intended. The belt loops on the side of my recently acquired swiss S&P pack make strapping the quiver to the side of it via those same "luggage straps" incredibly easy. When my bristol arrives, I'll be making some additional fitted straps to stitch permanently onto the underside of the quiver as a two-point scabbard for the sword to carry it on my back and/or on the side of my pack on longer treks. Credit goes straight to P. Remling and the photos of his loaded packs in other threads for that one.

Once the Bristol arrives, I'll be filming another speed shooting video to show my progress as well as incorporate weapon transitioning. I'm planning on including a cutting drill into my routine, such as transitioning from speed shooting to my sword followed immediately by cutting a tatami mat/water-filled milk jug to work on keeping proper technique when flowing from one combat style to another. That'll be included in said video. In the meantime, a fatty pile of wool and linen fabrics just arrived! It's time to retire the jeans and Ranger t-shirt, and make some GARB! Boots are already en route to my place...big things are happening!

Thanks for the compliments, guys!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
david lewis smith
Dúnadan

Post by david lewis smith »

never heard of an arrow sock before, its a great idea.

where did you get the pattern?
lacking anything clever to say.......
Willrett

Post by Willrett »

WOW your setup looks great. I hope to be that far soon. The bow kit I want comes with a bow, cloak, dz arrows and quiver. I'm thinking guying some patterns from walmart to use to make some cloths.
Greg

Post by Greg »

david lewis smith wrote:never heard of an arrow sock before, its a great idea.

where did you get the pattern?
The quiver, I drew freehand on graph paper, and sent to the maker. The sock...I just kinda cut around a bundle of arrows and stitched together. If you watch the two towers, though, you'll see a striking resemblance between my quiver and that of the Ithilien rangers. Different strap setup, but the artistic and utilitarian design elements are all pulled from theirs.
Greg

Re: Pictures of your ranger kit

Post by Greg »

This is another one of those threads that really doesn't deserve to die off. I think this, the "Blade Advice", and the "Ranger's Gear" threads could stand to be stickied, but that's just me. In the meantime, here's a haversack I'm in the process of negotiating a price for. I'm eagerly looking forward to putting it to good use. Its purpose is to allow me to function more easily without my rucksack. The rucksack is great, but I don't want to have to carry it every time I go out. I'm happiest when I'm traveling with my quiver where it should be; on my back, with a bedroll strapped to it, so this will make it so I don't have to roll up any gear in my bedroll, and can double as a fishing creel or berry/nut/tuber collecting sack on the trail.

Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

nice looking bag, it looks like it would be a good pattern bag.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'm not sure what you mean by "pattern bag"...care to clarify?
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I THINK he means one that can be used as a pattern for other bags. That is a nice looking bag there. I'll have to see if I can make something like it once I finish up some projects.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Yeah sorry it sounded better in my head :oops: I think the bag looks it it can be easily copied for other bags. Its a great looking bag with simple lines.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Greg mentioned I should post some photos of my current kit so here are the two that came out.

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Great looking kit! Who did the mocs?
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Peter Remling wrote:Great looking kit! Who did the mocs?
Thank you.They were made by Son of Sandlar http://sonofsandlar.com/product-line-2/
Greg

Post by Greg »

Are they half as comfy and heavy-duty as they look on the site? Their soles look mighty rugged...