The Prancing Pony Inn

Got a song, a tale, some news of far off places or Orcs gathering? Step up and loose your word hoard.

Moderator: Greg

Dailir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: The Prancing Pony Inn

Post by Dailir »

Eric C wrote:Thorbed determined he was just a bored villager needing to spice up his life a bit. The big warrior placed a hand on the lad's shoulder. "Come, let us go and leave these folks to discuss a few things. Tell me a little about yerself and this place where you live."
The young man looked up at the large man next to him, the sight startling him enough that he suddenly remembered his real purpose for being there. "Umm... I can't hang around I have to go find the watch." He began to walk briskly away but not until after he cast one last thought over his shoulder "If you decide to let me come on your adventure, my name is Anborn and I can be found around the town." Once outside the inn, he resumed his urgent search for the watch, he had to tell them about the strange men gathering outside the city. Some of the guards whispered tales of Haradrim, men of the south. Anborn did not know if these tales were true, but it was his job to warn the watchmen of any suspicious happenings outside of the city.
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Daelon blinked at the intrusion of the young man, who left as quickly as he had appeared.

"Anyway", he began, and then told more of his tale, weaving for the group the wonder of the Lonely Mountain and its fabled workshops. He had worked with many artisans, and while his work would not be of Dwarf make or quality, he had skill enough to make a living in the world of Men, if he wished. But what brought his heart the most joy was the merriment of the Longbeards when the day's work was done and the Dwarves traded hammers and picks for harps and flute, and they told their tales and sung their songs. He was always handy with a tune, or story, and soon learned all that he could, and though the Dwarves guarded their language as closely as any treasure hoard, he soon picked up enough that he could sing as well as the lot of them, even if his tongue had trouble with the sharp consonants.

"So it was that my masters knew that I was not meant for hammer work, Master Dwarf, but they liked me so that I was allowed to stay on. It was a good life, and then one day I heard that a positively ancient dwarf was spending his last days as a guest of the great King. I sought him out, this Snorri the Lucky, as he was called, and then soon learned that his name was a bit ironic."

He leaned forward and whispered,

"Not all of the Longbeards died in that mine. He lived, and escaped, but was driven mad. But for me, he told his tale, and then drew this map."

He put a finger down on the parchment, and then said,

"He died soon afterward, and I alone heard his tale. I had to see for myself this great abandoned mine, and after much journey I came to the Shadow'd Vale." He took a long pull from his tankard and sat it down.

"It's infested with goblins. The smell alone kept me from entering the gate, but Snorri told me that the great treasure vault was never opened. It was guarded with a most curious lock, and opens only for a Dwarf."
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

(Tag Ken, Beth)
Mirimaran wrote:"It's infested with goblins. The smell alone kept me from entering the gate, but Snorri told me that the great treasure vault was never opened. It was guarded with a most curious lock, and opens only for a Dwarf."
"So what you're telling me is that there's a hidden treasure hoard in the Shadow'd Vale with a lock that only opens for a Dwarf, and you intend for the three of us, a Bard, a Dwarf, and a Ranger, to secure these riches?"

Dwamdil attempted to continue to play the part of stubborn, but he knew his eyes must be glowing at the thought of the riches rumored to be hidden there.

"We're going to need a little bit more muscle than this to get through there, and I've just the man for the job. I'd call him trustworthy enough, at any rate, though perhaps his head will need a few raps from a tankard to keep him from spilling the story. What do you think, eh? And what about you?" He gestured to the Ranger. "You've not said a word. I'll hear you now. What interest do you have in treasure? Your folk rarely seek out riches...too busy wandering about, watching the wilds. What business do you have with the Shadow'd Vale?"
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thorbed had watched as Anborn ran from the Inn. He wondered for a brief moment if he should go and see if he could help. No, no that would not do. The last time he left the Inn, he nearly found himself fighting off the town watch. Instead, he walked back to his seat at the bar. He sat for a while as the three folk he unofficially guarded talked. Feeling the effects of lack of sleep and the horns of ale, he tured down the offer of more ale. He nibbled at the remains of his bread and contemplated getting that room for some rest.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ranger of Arthedain

Post by Ranger of Arthedain »

The Ranger waved her hand in a dismissive manner, looking at Dwamdil. "I've little interest in the treasure that lies there, I merely wish to travel just for the adventure; perhaps slay a few goblins to secure that part of Hithaeglir."

The bard's song had piqued her curiosity about the Shadow'd Vale, albeit she had no interest in taking -not that the dwarf would allow such things, anyways- the treasure, but it would be a wondrous thing to see.
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Greg

Post by Greg »

(Tag Beth, Ken, anyone)
Ranger of Arthedain wrote:The Ranger waved her hand in a dismissive manner, looking at Dwamdil. "I've little interest in the treasure that lies there, I merely wish to travel just for the adventure; perhaps slay a few goblins to secure that part of Hithaeglir."
Dwamdil chuckled. "I've no problem with traveling in your company, but if we're going to be around each other, it's high time you stopped hiding behind that fake voice of yours. If I'm to trust you, we can't have too many secrets. We Dwarves have keener ears than you might have previously thought...Ma'am."
Dailir

Post by Dailir »

Anborn, after much searching, finally found Watch Captain Kenton. "Sir! Sir!" he cried gasping for air from the constant running. "Sir, I was talking to some of the hunters from the hunters lode, they say there is a strange group of men gathering outside the city. Some of them whispered about men of the south, and how they could pose a threat to the entire town. I even saw some of these men myself. Dressed strangely, they were wearing lots of teeth and bone ornaments. What should we do?"
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Ranger of Arthedain

Greg wrote:(Tag Beth, Ken, anyone)
Ranger of Arthedain wrote:The Ranger waved her hand in a dismissive manner, looking at Dwamdil. "I've little interest in the treasure that lies there, I merely wish to travel just for the adventure; perhaps slay a few goblins to secure that part of Hithaeglir."
Dwamdil chuckled. "I've no problem with traveling in your company, but if we're going to be around each other, it's high time you stopped hiding behind that fake voice of yours. If I'm to trust you, we can't have too many secrets. We Dwarves have keener ears than you might have previously thought...Ma'am."
(Tag: Ken, Greg. Writer's block has been my best friend, as of late it would seem. :| Not to mention Dailir's post sort of threw me for a loop :oops: )

Aeron looked at Dwamdil, wincing. It was a force of habit for her to use a false voice when in the company of those she didn't know, or was barely acquainted with. "My apologies, Master Dwarf, I meant no disrespect." She paused for a moment, before continuing,"you say you've another man in mind for this expedition, pray tell us a little more about him, or even perchance meet him, if he is present here in the Inn?"
Last edited by Ranger of Arthedain on Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
When the snows fall and the white winds blow, the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. Winter is almost upon us, it will be long and hard, but the North remembers and the wolves will come again.
Dailir

Post by Dailir »

Ranger of Arthedain wrote:(Tag: Ken, Greg. Writer's block has been my best friend, as of late it would seem. :| Not to mention Dailir's post sort of threw me for a loop :oops: )
(Glad to see I'm not the only one trying to figure out what to do with my tangent! :roll: )
The watch captain looked at him. "Are you sure? You're positive it couldn't have been something else?" Anborn heard the concern in the captains voice and nervously replied. "Umm... Pretty sure. They were dressed mighty funny."
The captain stood up and, grabbing his sword, and stepped quickly to the door. "Aren't you coming? You'll have to grab that bow of yours though."
Anborn looked up in surprise "Me? Coming? Oh, yes! I'll be there in a minute, my bow's by the fireplace!"
"Okay, I'll meet you at the gate. Don't forget to grab a sword too; just in case they get past me and come for you."
"Umhmph, okay." Anborn muttered, his mind already busy with thoughts of how he finally had the chance to prove himself. He grabbed his bow off the wall near the fireplace and briskly skipped out the door to the nearby blacksmith. "I need a sword, but it has to be my size."
The blacksmith replied "Your size, huh? Some more sparring with the watch I presume?"
"Nope! I'm off to battle! I'm going to help the watch fight off some men from the south!"
"Battle eh? You finally get to prove your a man." He began muttering to himself as he opened a small closet filled with various weapons. "Hmm, sword. Ah this one!" The blacksmith pulled out a short sword and handed it to Anborn. "That sword is a mighty beauty. A dwarf traded it to me for a few throwing axes."
Anborn unsheathed the sword and held it up in a faux heroic stance. Lowering the sword Anborn said "Its amazing! And it has a perfect balance too."
The blacksmith laughed "Yes, dwarven make is always wonderful. Now you'd better hurry, I'm sure the captain will be waiting for you!"
Anborn thanked the blacksmith and ran towards the gate, strapping the sword on as he ran.
Greg

Post by Greg »

(Tag Ken, Beth, Eric, anyone)
Ranger of Arthedain wrote:..."you say you've another man in mind for this expedition, pray tell us a little more about him, or even perchance meet him, if he is present here in the Inn?"
"He is...just met him a short while ago, and I'd trust him farther than I could throw him, at the least. Seems to be a good man. I'm sure you've seen him. Large man, big sword, small brain?" Dwamdil chuckled. "I suppose I don't do the man enough credit. He's got a stout arm, and I'm sure he has the wits to match it. However, both his loyalty and mine will have a price. What's in it for us? Wait...hold that thought."

Dwamdil stood up from the table, stuck his head out the door, and motioned to Thorbed to come join them in the room. He turned back to the table, sat at his chair, and waited for the big man to follow.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

(Tag anyone)

Movement out of the corner of his eye caught Thorbed's attention. He shook off the sleep that threatened to take him. Turning, he saw the Dwarf waving him over into the meeting room. Retrieving his travel bag, he rose to his feet and walked into the room. His eyes scanned each person in the room, who in turn stared back.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Eric C wrote:(Tag anyone)

Movement out of the corner of his eye caught Thorbed's attention. He shook off the sleep that threatened to take him. Turning, he saw the Dwarf waving him over into the meeting room. Retrieving his travel bag, he rose to his feet and walked into the room. His eyes scanned each person in the room, who in turn stared back.
Daelon settled back in his chair as the big man made himself comfortable.

"Well, I propose that we split everything equally, with the exception that I, as owner of the map, get my choice of one item once the treasure is recovered. All funeral expenses and compensation will of course be provided for."

The bard reached into his threadbare jerkin and threw a small leather bag of coins on the table.

"My life savings", he said, "that I commit towards supplies for our Company, if such be formed."
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Mamduka waited in the brush, kept check on the Inn. To any who happened by he was throughly examining mount and tack. "Either my information is wrong or these particular Northerners are slow to take to the road. Mayhaps, they are awaiting further party members"
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thorbed looked around the room through sleepy eyes.
"As for funeral expenses, I'm cheap to dispose of. If there's a body of water nearby, just set me afloat and ignite the raft. If possible surround my body with the spoils from my enemies that I may be more acceptable in the halls of my fathers. It is the way of my fathers. I am Thorbed from the far north at your service. But I would like to know what service that might be. I've followed a fellow with a funny head out of here and nearly had to fight my way out of town through the night watch because of it and I have turned away another lad who barged in here all so you fine folks could discuss some plans that I am as yet uninformed of. So if someone could tell me what we're up to, I may have some coins to throw into the pot."

Thorbed sat and listened to the plans so far. A smile stretched across his face as he thought of the adventure.

(edited)
Ranger of Arthedain

(I think we've left poor Pete out long enough, LOL)

Aeron's ears perked up in curiosity at the mention of the strange man. Her thoughts, for the moment, turned away from the future expedition the small rag tag company would soon be making; or hoped to make, that is. His business interested her greatly; for the man with the deformed head was a shady character and one she felt the need to keep tabs on. "I will leave such matters in the hands of the bard, as this was all his idea in the first place." She spoke -regarding his words- to Thorbed, rising from her chair. "Now, if you gentlemen will excuse me for a moment...did you happen to see where he went after leaving here?" Whether he -the strange man- had returned to the Inn or not, there was something queer going on around here, and it was high time she found out what.