Tinder tube

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Dailir
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Tinder tube

Post by Dailir »

I'm not sure if this was the right place for this topic, so admins feel free to move it. I was recently looking around and heard about the tinder tube, which is also called a spanish lighter or rope lighter, and thought it would be something a ranger would have. It is a tube, usually metal, with a rope going through it and the rope is charred on one end. The tube allows for easy extinguishing of the rope and the charred rope makes a great replacement for tinder plus historically it was used for lighting pipes, and cannons. Yes, cannons. :) Here's a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... QYRywWvi3g
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Eric C
Vendor

Re: Tinder tube

Post by Eric C »

My internet connection is too slow to download the video. :evil: But I saw one of these at the Loch Norman Highland Games last year. The "rope" was just cotton that was bunched together by the tube itself. It was very easy to light, or at least it looked like it was from the man's demo.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I have one, you can loosen up the fibers a bit and it lights even faster.
Dailir

Post by Dailir »

Eric C wrote:My internet connection is too slow to download the video. :evil: But I saw one of these at the Loch Norman Highland Games last year. The "rope" was just cotton that was bunched together by the tube itself. It was very easy to light, or at least it looked like it was from the man's demo.
Interesting, was it just plain cotton, straight off the plant kind of cotton/cotton balls, or was it cotton from a shirt? And too bad about the Internet Connection, its always sad when its too slow to do anything.
Fellow Dùnedain, gather your arms and fight with me, fight for all you know and you cannot fail.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

It was just plain cotton. Very little if any processing if I am correct. Mirimiran could correct me on this if I am wrong. He was there that day too.

We're hoping to do something about the Internet connection soon.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Frothgar

Post by Frothgar »

thank you so much for posting this.

im always on the lookout for new tools and gear to make. might try making one out of antler.

Frothgar
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb
Frothgar

Post by Frothgar »

i put one together this afternoon. seems to work, ill need some time to play with it to make it reliable.

used t shirt strips 4 strand braided, might need rope or something denser.

will post pics and results later.

Frothgar
Civilization, it seems, prepared one to live, but not to survive.
-Cimmerian proverb