Knife work

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Knife work

Post by E.MacKermak »

Finally got finished with re-hilting a knife I have had for years. The original threaded end was damaged so it was reworked as a peened end. Thanks Eric for the instructions on peening knife handles.
Attachments
100_1008.JPG
100_1008.JPG (204.45 KiB) Viewed 10585 times
100_1010.JPG
100_1010.JPG (198.68 KiB) Viewed 10585 times
100_1015.JPG
100_1015.JPG (213.13 KiB) Viewed 10585 times
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: Knife work

Post by Peter Remling »

Came out really nice and it looks very utilitarian for a rangers tool/weapon.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

yeah call my opinion biased but I saw the knife before he redid it... it came out awsome
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

Great job!
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Cleddyf
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Cleddyf »

very pretty
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

That's a nice knife! Very rugged looking. Glad I could be of service.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Looks very rangerish. How did you do it?
I had a go at re-hilting a long knife that didn't work terribly well so I'd like to know how to do it properly. Thanks.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

That is a BEEFY handle! Looks great!
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

Looks great
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Thanks for all the comments.

The handle was a piece of 3/4 x 2 oak from Lowes. I drilled through it with a drill press, but didn't have everything I needed before I moved to Texas. I got the brass after the move and the handle and brass shaping was done only with hand tools, which accounts for the rough look that I kinda like. The hardest part is peening the end. I clamped it to the workbench and began peening. Of course the blade slides so every few minutes you have to re-clamp it in the original position. Peening steel is a bit of a chore since I didn't want to hit it to hard and risk missing and breaking the handle. It was a definite experience.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.