Ranger Games

Western(esse) Martial Arts / Numenorean Martial Arts....

Combat and self-defense in Middle-earth

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: Ranger Games

Post by Mirimaran »

Pwyll wrote:Rudolf the longbow ranger
Had a very lengthy bow.
And in the thickest forest
It would make him travel slow.

All of the other rangers
used to curse and call him names.
They never let poor Rudolf
Join in any Ranger games!

Then at the battle of the Black Gate,
From two hundred yards away.
Ruldof shot at their top brass,
And nailed a Nazgul in his ass.

Then all the Rangers loved him,
And gave him sympathetic looks.
"One hell of a shot, but Rudolf,
You'll never make it in the books!"
:lol: that was good, I liked it!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Oh that was good!!!! hehehehe :lol:
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

:P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: That was pretty funny.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Ranger Song of the Year!!! You made me laugh so hard I dribbled out my mouthful of breakfast :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now fighting I can and have held my own against some really good people but bushcraft? I'm in sore need of a teacher.
I am quite the opposite, terrible with weapons but really pretty good with bushcraft.

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Pwyll
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Pwyll »

LOL Mission accomplished, then.

But, yes, the concept of multiple tasks, combined with a sort of run just intrigues me. Shooting, oh yes. Some sort of awareness game. And obstacle or two. Some kind of woodcraft task. Some sort of navigation exercise. Some kind of martial activity.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Pwyll, are you local? If so lets get together and plan this course. i am liking your ideas. Just bear in mind this is only a 50 acre property so land nav exercises arent going to be much of a challenge. However your other ideas are definitely doable.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Just saw that you were in SW Pennsylvania....There goes that idea.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

Yeah, and it's a bummer, 'cause I'd really like to do this.

And, actually I do get to N.C. a couple of times a year. Unfortunately, it's the other end of the state. Down near the coast.

But I still think the idea is one we could work on.

50 acres is good, and plenty of room for a lot of activity, depending on the nature of the land. If you base it on a run, you'll be doing a lot of looping.

If you want "object discovery" you would create lanes with some kind of cord, divivded up into squares. Hide something in one of the squares.

If you have a large open area, you could do range estimation.

An archery range, say up to 100 yards.

All depends on what you want to do.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

umm yeah... this here girl ain't RUNNING a darn thing hehe.. I walk!!

Afraid the Army broke me, and running is not an option hehe
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Regardless you will be welcome to participate. I think thats a good thing to add to the list: Go at your own pace, do your best. My main interest is to set the thing up and get folk to participate.

Now here is something else to consider, we could do a type of ranger seminar having our best bow shots help us work on our shooting, Mike could head up a fencing workshop, and then do a short scout learning from our outdoor people with a cook-out afterwards?

I'm flexible :)

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

All of this sounds fantastic. A combination of games and a seminar.

Different SCA kingdoms usually do a periodic "University" with different people teaching classes. That's a very good way to learn.

As well as just a good chance to hang out with like minded people.

Heh, I'm NOT flexible. Too dang old...
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

I'd be really excited to take classes from folks like Mike and Pete and many other knowledgeable folks on this forum. I haven't been too keen on the competition aspect, cuz frankly, I think most anyone could beat me at anything, but I'd love to attend classes!
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

kaelln wrote: I haven't been too keen on the competition aspect, cuz frankly, I think most anyone could beat me at anything, but I'd love to attend classes!

HEY! You and I could hang out together then! :lol: Anyway, I love the idea of seminars! It would be a good crash course on skills that many of us don't know anything about.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

"I think most anyone could beat me at anything"

Having seen the kit you put together Kaelin I am not too sure about that.

"Heh, I'm NOT flexible. Too dang old..."

Uncle Harley, affectionately known as Gunny,not rank, his last name was Gunne. once told me their was no such thing as an old marine, only dead ones. On his first anniversary he sent my great aunt a skull and a sword from the pacific :lol: and at 93 suffering from alzheimers he still beat a 25 year old male nurse senseless and bloodied an Asheville policeman so I wont argue that philosophy....

He was out of his head and back at war in his last days. He was my hero and the only person he knew or would talk to at the end. I miss him terribly..... For me that man defined a warrior.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Pwyll

Post by Pwyll »

"Another marine reporting sir. I've served my time in hell."

But, yeah, I know what you mean. Guess I should say, I'm in terrible shape for me. And I don't bother with head kicks anymore.

The idea of the competition is really more about evaluation, an assessment of skills. And as Bruce Lee once said, "Your opponent is your mirror." It's really about learning and improving yourself. When somebody bests you at something, it's an opportunity to learn.
Pwyll

Come to the dark side.
We have cookies.