Ranger cloaks

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Re: Ranger cloaks

Post by E.MacKermak »

The next time a period nazi gives you a hard time, look at them and say "Why thank you for offering to make me a new<whatever> so that I might partake of your knowledge." Some of them will immediately offer to help...not of the offensive ones will immediately backpedal.

I might be new to the group, but I have done the research and the College of Heralds used to allow registration of Elven names.

As for the cloak, I stick to solid colors similar to nature (tans, greens, browns) and it seems to do just fine for me. And since I have worn some pretty bright colors in another hobby while stalking people who are supposed to be actively hunting me...I am fine with single colors.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

My wife knits, crochets and naalbinds, she will have get in the conversation when she is up to it. She's working with the wool thread that we got from Sportsman's Guide the other day with great results. All her efforts with wool have turned out great, and she is focusing on socks and bed socks and hats at the moment in crochet. She has made hats by naalbinding but it takes her alot longer to do it. She makes those needles out of wood.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Erich and I never liked the period mavens.. We try and make our stuff more authentic, but because we want to and love learning about it. He does heavy fighting, but doesn't have the goal to be King. He does it because he likes it. If, by chance he does move up the ranks and has the chance to fight crown and wins... then fine, but it's not a goal.

We do it for the fun, food, and friends.. and because we love learning new crafts and about how things were made WITHOUT modern technology.

And here in Middle Earth, it allows us to use our medieval crafts, and do things we've always enjoyed as well. I've always loved medieval things and fantasy as well.. And Tolkien has brought both together so well for me hehe
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

On colors, as our friend has said, solid colors work fine too. Long hunters used them without a problem and I can tell you from using such in period trekking and woodsy exercises, if you choose truly natural tones they will work fine...even when hunting turkey...and turkeys see color better than we do. Dratted birds.

Do not feel too bound to camouflage..much of that is due to modern conditioning really. You can dirty your face, wear gloves on your hands, and natural tone clothing to do the job just fine.

Besides, you might find that most people see what they expect to see and miss essentially everything else anyway. Observation is a learned skill and it needs sharpening with practice. Without it, you cannot do things like track and read sign...or see people hidden in the terrain around you. If you are not observant enough to see them, then you cannot also hide yourself effectively...since you do not see what would give you away in others.

Sounds convoluted but it isn't really.

In any case, do not worry so much about camouflage patterns or textures unless they are really what you want just because...you do not really need them. Good natural fabrics and natural tones will do the job just fine from a working standpoint.

For what it is worth.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Post by Mirimaran »

We don't do SCA, so we don't have any experience with their Nazi's...Ren Faire Nazi's, we seem to attract them and their sad attempts to correct people who know what they are doing. Basically, I will wear what I damn well please. :P I avert my gaze at Wal-mart Scots and if they don't like my attempt at late 3rd Age Middle-earth attire, oh well :D I can guarantee that most of my kit at this point is hand-made.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Fortunately I have experienced that the Authenticy Nazi's are in the minority and I did not mean to start a landslide of unpopular opinion toward the society or darken the experience, I am just trying to bring a coheision, if possible to the three factions I seem to be involved in. as for the solids vs the camo, my soul reasoning there was to simply find a possible reality for a fictional idea brought about by John Flannagen's description of his Ranger cloaks.

I actually have used a grey woolen surpus blanket I had a my girlfriend in college sew up for me. It worked fabulously until stolen a few years ago. I replaced that with a linen cloak which was black inside and green outside. that one worked nicely too and was a bit lighter.
My Larp cloak is one of the grey elvin cloaks that are liscenced and sold for costumes. I reinforced the ties as they were very flimsy and sewed some fur around the edges of the hood. To my surprise I enjoy this one because of the loose, linsey woolsy kind of weave.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

No worries Ringulf

As for those 'mavens' you get them in damn near EVERY hobby there is. And yes, they are few in numbers. Just annoying.

I still think your cloth is very kool and is a good idea for a ranger cloak. I am one who prefers variety. :P
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Ringulf wrote: I guess it is true though, the day you stop learning, it will all start over again with your feet on the streets of gold!

I'd rather be stepping over bodies with the Valfather, brother...There aint no rest for the wicked.... but you are right no one knows everything and even a familiar drill will kick my @ss from time to time. I'm slowly loosing interest in the DIY projects, between work and taking care of the stock and everything else "in the way" its just not fun anymore because I'm so pressed for time, and usually have to pinch pennies until Abes eyes water to budget materials.
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

R.D.Metcalf wrote:
Ringulf wrote: I guess it is true though, the day you stop learning, it will all start over again with your feet on the streets of gold!

I'd rather be stepping over bodies with the Valfather, brother...There aint no rest for the wicked....
Wait! hold on, are you sayin there are no streets of gold in Valhalla...?? or Aule's Halls...The forfathers didn't...Hey! What kinda chicken outfit did I sign up for!!! :mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Personally I prefer to leave them to fertilize the trees. ;) The forests have streets and paths of gold....

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Rhys ap Ieuan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

Ringulf, you mentioned it takes about 8 yards of cloth to make a cloak. I've heard similar comments from others, but I'm wondering why it takes so much?

I've only done a couple of single-layer semi-circular cloaks for my family, but I've just taken 2 yards of 60" wide material and cut it into a half circle. For a full circle, I'd just double it, I suppose. Where is the material going in the pattern you are using, and does it have an advantage over my, perhaps over-simple, approach?

I've got a few yards of pretty nice faux fur, and am planning a really heavy winter cloak with that as lining.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

It depends on two things; type of cloak and type of fabric.

If your fabric has a nap, then it will take more to make a given article so the nap can be aligned correctly.

If you want a full circle, three quarter circle, or fitted cloak with wide hem, it will take more fabric.

The simplest cloak I have ever made and used, and I mean other than a simple rectangular blanket or matchcoat, is a rectangular cloak with attached hood, sometimes with an indent for the neck. From base of neck to where you want the hem is the basic measurement and it winds up taking three yards, maybe four, of 60" wide fabric to do it up in one piece. The hood is another rectangle which can be attached before hand, with the seam running along the top of the head, or folded and attached after so the seam runs down the back of the head.

They will still cover, they can and have had historically, buttons on the front for closure, and by lifting the sides up on to the shoulders (ties placed here help) it leaves the hands and arms free to work while the torso remains covered; a nice thing in cold weather.

The are called Gaulish cloaks because the Romans said they adopted them from the Celts. Fast and easy to make and I have found excellent for a Ranger.

Mileage varies of course; there are many opinions on the matter.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very nice I like to trim my cloaks sometimes it gives it a little more Norse feel even for a Ranger!

The 60 inch stuff makes the difference and weather or not you put a hood or a detachable hood and mantle.

Then again I take a bit more material to cover and that may also be part of my problem!

The Batik stuff does not come in the 60" so I have to do a bit of peicing and getting any sort of repetitive pattern to match up can cause a bit of waste.
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I have both attached and separate hood and mantle. Overall, I prefer the latter and have been mulling over how to attach them without using velcro or something else. Some kind of hidden lacing perhaps. On days not hot enough for the whole thing, the hood and mantle do well and the cloak can be rolled up and at the back.

I never stop tinkering with things and I have this lovely dark heather grey wool.....

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

I have used loops on the cape with toggles on the inside of the hood, if you place them properly you usually dont feel them depending on how big they are and how many you use. might not be the most elegant method but it stayed in period somewhat and does work. Large buttons would lay flatter inside, that could be another option.