Ranger cloaks

For discussion of knowledge of the wood; this means camping, tracking, and other outdoor pursuits.

Moderators: Eric C, Greg

Rhys ap Ieuan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: Ranger cloaks

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

Ah, that makes sense. Between the different fabric width, patterns, & me failing at math (twice 60" to make a semi circle is rather more than 2 yards) it all makes sense to me now.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Circle cloaks cover more area and they take up a bit more material too!.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Full circle cloaks take a lot more fabric, take up a lot of space, and are a lot heavier..they are harder to pack too. OTOH, they make the most awesome snuggle cover for a campfire on a cool night at Waystation. ;)

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
dwayne davis
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by dwayne davis »

I dont do SCA simply because i havent found a group near where i live.as far as "period accuracy" i look at it like this, Master Tolkien gave us his world he created. with a history, legends. and time lines. we have guide lines, suggestions if you will, about clothing armour and weapons.nothing absolute,nothing concrete. i see no reason we cant have say gondorian soldiers on the hunt with rangers from illithen and members of the rohirum. round sheilds along side kite sheilds, swords ranging from dark ages through early medieval, all theese things can fit diffrent ages of middle earth. at the same time clothing would be just as varied in that world as it is in ours today,again we have guidelines to keep the flavor of the time intact. i just use surplus military blankets and the pattern from andy's origional site as my cloak pattern. like ken said i wear what i please. truth is we have and are dooing moore to bring Master tolkien's world to life than jackson ever could with his movies. lets see theses accurcy mavens as we now call them hike all day in kit. then use bush craft methods to not only set up a camp but live and thrive our kit may not look cookie cutter perfect but we make it we use it, and if it's worn out we can make moore, .we are a sociaty of brothers and sisters with a common love and goal. and that rocks..... ok im done with my rant. :P
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Jon
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jon »

Are we allowed to use camoflage for ME rangers?

Life before Death.
Strength before Weakness.
Journey before Destination.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

If you mean modern camo I would say no as that is in no way fitting with the spirit of the group. Ultimately it's up to you as we are not an organization like the SCA but a group of like minded individuals trying to recreate Tolkien's middle earth.
Alexandros
Wayfarer

Post by Alexandros »

That looks really great, I also am trying to find an outfit I can make that satisfies both groups. I really don't care if the SCA thinks my outfit is period my main goal is function and period fabrics that my friend is a well camoed out cloak.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

Yeah Batik fabric is really neat and the process has been around since at least the 4th century BCE.
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

Well, if a Laurel who got it for period correct lifestyle may comment.......

I have 4 cloaks. One is just a court cloak and doesn't count. I use an old British police cloak as a general purpose cloak. Thigh length, no hood, heavy fulled wool. My deep winter cloak is ankle length, hooded, heavy wool lined with medium weight wool, including the hood. This is a cloak that I have used as a sleeping bag, down to about 25 degrees. Only problem is that when rolled up, it is about half the size of a bedroll, so not something to carry on an extended trek, especially if you are already carrying bedroll and canvas shelter. I use it when I wind up staying over at an event but had not planned to, so do not have the rest of the kit.

What I use as a trekking cloak is one of the oilcloth cloaks from Panther. Rolls up small, has a detachable hood, and functions as a cloak, shelter, or groundcloth. It is made from modern oilcloth so is not exactly period, but the period equivalent, cloth coated with linseed oil or beeswax, are extreme fire hazards, so not, perhps, the best choice. I generally carry it rolled up and secured across the top of the knapsack or haversack with leather thongs. The greenish brown colour works well in almost all seasons except exposed on winter snow. I also have one of their oilcloth ponchos that I use in the same way.

Hawk
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

The oilcloth cloak is a great idea and can be fantastic in just about any environment...well that is except for the heat of the deep south. which is kind of were I was going with the light weight Batik.
Wanting to kind of scatch several itches IE: SCA, Ranger's Apprentic and LOTR, while staying cool and breaking up my shape in Florida.

I guess the more things that you try to do the fewer you do well, so I am really not satisfying any of the needs fully but gosh I am trying to squeeze in what I can!

Now the Panther oilcloth cloak I had seen in the catalog and need to revisit, that is a great cloak and very in character if you derive your inspiration from the LOTR movies (as much of it I do) with all of Striders oilskins.

I imagine you could wear it over a softer cloak wich would make it nice and warm for Northern climes (I do a bit in Sparta, NJ) so it may be a great option for anywhere (But here) I go. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Steve b
Dúnadan

Post by Steve b »

None of the options are particularly comfortable, though they do serve to ease some of Mother Nature's nastier aspects. I learned long ago, though (back when I was a member of the Coalition of Historical Trekkers), that going into the woods with period kit requires giving up the concept of comfort.

Hawk