dark, 21 inch, teardrop cross section, axe handles

Something you can't find? Take a look here.

Moderator: Eric C

Ringulf
Naugothrain

dark, 21 inch, teardrop cross section, axe handles

Post by Ringulf »

I have run through a buch of my handles in the last few events and wanted to replace the big ones. I can find the light hickory 19" for the cold steel norse hawks but my old fronteir hawk and my ship axe bearded pair are proving difficult. Though I got them at the local flea market they are sold on the Cult of Athena site but I can't find replacement handles. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks! Here is a pic:

I wish they were Hanwe or Chen but I don't think they are, I love the rustic nature of them and this is the pair I normally throw simultaneously so I would like to rehaft them at the same time with the same handles.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Re: dark, 21 inch, teardrop cross section, axe handles

Post by Peter Remling »

http://www.ragweedforge.com/ThrowingCatalog.html

He's out of the 22" at the moment but you might contact him to see when and if they'll be available again.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Thanks Pete! I am familiar with his site he has great stuff! My Scithyan Bear that I have adopted as my device was from Ragnar! But as you say he is out for the moment. I will send a word and ask if he can get them for me.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I just noticed one of my axes has a 21" teardrop shape haft. It's an older Cold Steel, I checked their site and some of their current models appear to have a teardrop shape also. I didn't see replacements offered but I didn't contact them. You might want to give them an email.

http://www.coldsteel.com/
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

I've not often come across the longer handles, and when I do, they seem too thin in section.
There are some makers out there that will do custom handles, but they're pricey. So just get yourself a shaving horse and draw out some appropriately-sized handles. Easiest and cheapest way, really! :)

Or, as I've often done, pick up the nearest match to what you need from the bins in the local hardware store and shave/plane/sand to fit. Also removes that nasty lacquered finish. To darken you can fume with ammonia. Or simply use a nice black walnut stain or the like.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

That may be what I end up doing as I have some on order with cold steel that might work if shaped. Unfortunately I am going to need them for a demo next weekend so I will need to do something for the immediate. Spokeshave here I come! lol :wink:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

A little short but the shape and price are right.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Competition-Thr ... 336ccdef50
hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by hesinraca »

A month late and probably past the point of need, but my buddy has been wood working, mainly bowyering, for a while now, he'd probably do you up some handles for a really good deal.

http://www.facebook.com/tony.deland
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Very nice!
I am just about ready to rehandle all of my throwers of which I have an active stable of 5.
they are all about the same size and shape but I am going to experiment on these as they give their last gasp and cut them a bit shorter by small incriments to see what I want to end up with. Then we can do the whole bunch.
Three CS Norse Hawks and two of the bearded ship axes like the picture from Kult of Athena (they are my double throwing pair for playing Loki's legs!) :mrgreen:

(I may do some experimentation with the casting on the handle since I was inspired by the info given to us through Eric!)
hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by hesinraca »

Sounds good. Well if you decide to have Tony make you up the handles, he's usually damn fast about it. He also has a knack for finding some effing amazing arrow shaft wood and getting them straight and clean. Wild harvest magician when it comes to that stuff.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com