Museum Replicas Create Your Own Swords

A central place to talk about weapons and armour, as it relates to your kit. This is where you show it of or talk about making it. Discussing the relative merits of types of weapons goes in the WMA section.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Museum Replicas Create Your Own Swords

Post by Peter Remling »

MRL is now offering a chance to create your own sword by mixing several blade types with a variety of guards, grips, pommels and even scabbards. Take a look:

http://www.museumreplicas.com/c-135-cre ... sword.aspx
Kiriana
Haeropada

Re: Museum Replicas Create Your Own Swords

Post by Kiriana »

Oh very kool

And they are just east/north of Atlanta and like 3 hours from me too. Gonna make a trek to their store one of these days hehe
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Rhys ap Ieuan
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by Rhys ap Ieuan »

That is pretty cool, but they really need to show photos of the actual parts somewhere - the illustrations are very vague. Some more diversity of parts would be good too, which will hopefully happen eventually.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

They actually did something similar in the late 80s, early 90's but it bombed. With the readily available knowledge and increased interest, I think it a great marketing idea.

I think they have the right time to kick it off and it should take off, judging by the interest. If all goes well, I believe they will expand the selections.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Peter Remling wrote:I think they have the right time to kick it off and it should take off, judging by the interest. If all goes well, I believe they will expand the selections.
I hope so! It is a very interesting idea, and great sales tool, but I would love to see the ability to play with a few more of the more Norse elements like an additional norse type blade and some of the descibed crossguard and pummel types. There were a number of different and distinct ones that could be offered without going overboard, that could add into the mix even on the longer swords.
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

I would love to be able to create one of those blades with a hand 1/2 grip. kinda like my pathfinder sword.
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That's quite strange... the link doesn't appear to be working anymore. It's just taking me to the main MR page. I really hope they didn't nix this feature already. I was ridiculously excited about it.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

By 6pm EST the same day it was down. People on different sites reported only having 1 blade configuration, while I had a choice of 2. Looks like either they were doing a dry run to see if it evoked any support or it's just not ready to kick off yet.

All the people that posted so far on the other sites were excited and looking forward to it so I think it's a big win for MRL.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, I totally agree. They'd be crazy not to pursue it. I'd KILL to be able to do that. I mean, I'd love to get my hands on a Christian Fletcher, but the simple fact of the matter is that unless I win one somehow (and lemme tellya, I tried my darndest at this year's Dog Days contest, heh), I'll never be able to afford one in this lifetime. So honestly, this seems like a pretty good secondary option. The scabbard designs they seemed to be offering were NICE. Much nicer than the ones they generally have on their blades. More period appropriate for someone doing an early High Middle Ages impression, like myself.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

[quote="Manveruon"]Yeah, I totally agree. They'd be crazy not to pursue it. I'd KILL to be able to do that. I mean, I'd love to get my hands on a Christian Fletcher, but the simple fact of the matter is that unless I win one somehow (and lemme tellya, I tried my darndest at this year's Dog Days contest, heh), quote]
I thought you looked familiar.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Haha, yeah, that was me. But the best man for the sword won, I think. Loved his winning picture. I'd like to get some of me like that actually.
Jonathan B.
Amrod Rhandir

Post by Jonathan B. »

That would be Chris he's around here somewhere.
R.D.Metcalf
Amrod Rhandir

Post by R.D.Metcalf »

Manveruon wrote: I'll never be able to afford one in this lifetime.
Since you didnt ask :lol: .......
I've said this before and I'll say it again anyone can accomplish anything they set their mind to...Saying "never" means giving up the fight before you've even tried.

I'm not wealthy but keep a change jar, when I buy horse feed, get gas, pay bills, buy groceries, take my wife to dinner etc. I save that change, I take care of my obligations as a husband and horseman and slowly save for commissions and/or materials this way.

I've bought several albions as well as a few custom commissions and used swords this way, in fact I've swung two custom commissions in the last two years doing just this....Getting exactly what *I* wanted, not just what someone wanted to make

Its slow, but effective and besides getting something I want I always know I have an emergency fund....I'm never totally broke.

No one will ever "have it all" but you can get a few things that you want...And I sincerely hope you do. "There is always hope".

~RD
The frontier moves with the sun and pushes the Red Man of these wilderness forests in front of it... until one day there will be nowhere left. Then our race will be no more, or be not us.

My Sword Is my Troth.

~Iron Wolf Forge~
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

That's an excellent point, and I was mostly speaking in hyperbole. But what I suppose I should have said was "I'm not sure I'll ever be able to justify spending that much on a sword." But maybe someday.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Manveruon wrote:That's an excellent point, and I was mostly speaking in hyperbole. But what I suppose I should have said was "I'm not sure I'll ever be able to justify spending that much on a sword." But maybe someday.
I certainly get your point of view. I did purchase a Fletcherizied Atrim in 2003. Before I could justify it to myself I sold off about $6000 worth of slowly accumulated blades (over 20 years of accumulating). The sword I bought only cost $630 then and it's still the most expensive single blade I've every bought.

I currently have about 20 swords and as I sold the Flectherized 1 last year, my most expensive is somewhere in the $500 mark.

I don't practice HEMA regularly so it's not easy for me to justify the expense of a single custom or semi custom. IF you get into HEMA regularly, you'll be able to justify it more easily as it will not just be a sword but a tool and a symbol of what you're striving for.

Either way good luck, by prosrcibing to RD's formula you'll be able to afford 1 quicker than you think.