deer meat

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

deer meat

Post by Eric C »

Hi all,
This is slightly related to rangers as it deals with something we may hunt. With our move and everything involved with that, I was unable to make it to the hunter safety course this year. So I mentioned to a guy that I work with that I was interested in getting my hands on some deer meat. Well, he told another guy, our maintenance supervisor. A week later, the maintenance guy showed up in my shop and asked if I wanted some deer meat. I jumped at the chance. He gave me two shoulders and a ham that he had aged for a few days before he gave it to me.
So, here's the question: Now that I've got it, what do I do with it? :? What are some good recipes for the shoulders and ham? I cut up the ham so I could get it into gallon sized freezer bags. So, what have ya got?
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
hesinraca
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by hesinraca »

I know this is a general response, but in all the fantast novels, medieval novels, situations, and studies I've done. Putting the meat in a pot with whatever veggies and spices you can get ahold of at the time and making a stew is a fairly standard choice. GRanted, I've found from expierence that baring rancid, moldy left-overs, no matter the original quality of the meat, you can always get a fairly awesome stew out of it, so maybe think of stew as a backup.

Reguardless. Stew.
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
david lewis smith
Dúnadan

Post by david lewis smith »

cook it the same way you would cook the same cuts of meat in beef or pork.

I like the game taste,

oh
and invite me to dinner LOL
lacking anything clever to say.......
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hehehe, you're not too far away to invite over. My wife's thinking stew with the shoulders.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

You have got to jerk some of the meat. Even better than deer jerky is buffalo jerky.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I would LOVE to, but I don't have a dehydrator. :cry: Any other ideas for making jerky?
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

I believe you can do it in a regular oven with the door cracked open a bit. I'll have to look it up as I'm unsure of what temperature to set the oven at.
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Found a oven drying recipe for jerky: 140 degrees for 6-8 hours with the door cracked open.

Place the meat on a wire grill and put a cookie sheet or aluminum foil under it to catch any dropping.

Let us know how it comes out, regardless of how you prep it.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

That's GREAT! I'll thaw some meat out and try it soon. I prepared some stew out of some of it. A can of cream of onion soup, a can of beef broth, a carrot cut up and a few cut up potatoes. I added black- and white- pepper. It was good, but something was missing. I'll be playing with the recipe some to make it a bit more flavorful.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Last edited by Gareth on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Sorry, I hate garlic. But everything else sounds good! Oh yeah, I did have peas in it. Forgot about that one.
hesinraca

Post by hesinraca »

How can you hate garlic? THat hurts my soul.

Well. I don't really like pork, and I hear thats a top pick, so I suppose we're even...;)
-Cedric (Hesin Raca)
winterwolfforge.com
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

DON'T LIKE PORK??? Oh, I'm wounded! :lol: I wish I didn't like it as well as I do.
Odigan
Vendor

Post by Odigan »

Eric C wrote:DON'T LIKE PORK??? Oh, I'm wounded! :lol: I wish I didn't like it as well as I do.
Spend some time on a pig farm or in a slaughterhouse - that may temper your appetite...
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Odigan wrote:
Eric C wrote:DON'T LIKE PORK??? Oh, I'm wounded! :lol: I wish I didn't like it as well as I do.
Spend some time on a pig farm or in a slaughterhouse - that may temper your appetite...
Or improve it: Ahhhhh blood sausage!

But don't make it with garlic.........................garlic is a natural blood thinner!