The Ranger Moot in Vaca Del Mar is only 4 weeks away!!!

So moot it be...

Moderator: Greg

Brandwyn
Wanderer

The Ranger Moot in Vaca Del Mar is only 4 weeks away!!!

Post by Brandwyn »

Greetings My Friends,

The Shire of Vaca Del Mar (in Volusia n Flagler Counties in Florida) is holding a Ranger Moot on April 13-15 as many of you have already seen. This event is all about ARCHERY and THROWN WEAPONS! It is also about the Ranger arts such as hunting, tracking, camping, cooking over an open fire, etc.

We are going to have several tournaments and competitions with very spiffy prizes and a lot of food. We are hoping to have several classes but are still looking for instructors for more classes having to do with anything Ranger-like.

I just realized that is only four weeks away and I just now settled on what I am going to be cooking! (I am so woefully far behind in the feast planning it is terrifying...)

I thought perhaps a preview of the menu might entice some of you, so here you go:

The Ranger Moot Menu

Friday Evening:
Potluck Traveler’s Fare: Bring your own meat to grill and a side dish
A soup of Leeks with Cauliflower served with plain bread
Water, lemonade

Saturday Morning:
Pumpernickel rolls smothered in Smoked Bacon with Apples and Onions (A Danish favorite)
Eggs scrambled with garlic
Orange quarters
Milk, Coffee, orange juice

Saturday Lunch:
A Focaccia Bread with Cheeses served with herbed and honeyed butter
Hunter’s Soup of wild fowl and mushrooms or Cauliflower Leek soup if you prefer
Rolls of Bacon stuffed with herbed breading served with a hard egg
Water, lemonade, Sikanjabîn

Saturday Feast:
Pan Fried Bread with herb and honey butters
A Beet Salad
Wild Fowl Roast
Spinach Fritters
Fresh Roasted Boar
“Armored” Vegetables (Sweet potatoes, carrots, onions)
A Turnover of Apples baked in coals
Water, lemonade, Sikanjabîn (maybe coffee on the campfire)

Sunday Morning:
Leftovers from previous meals
Cheese or Cinnamon Pastry
Coffee, Milk, Orange Juice

Note:
Sikanjabîn is a refreshing mint syrup imported from the Holy Land. It is recommended that one dilutes the syrup down with one part syrup to 8 parts water and serves over ice shavings.

So what do you think? Sound yummy? I hope some of you will be able to make it. I can post the whole updated flyer here if you are interested. This is an SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) event and it will be held in Deland, Florida the 2nd weekend in April.

Fees for the whole weekend:
Fees:
Pre-registered by April 5: After April 5:
Adult Daytrip: $13.00 $16.00
Child 0-13 yrs: $0.00 $0.00
Camping: $0.00 $0.00
Feast: $11.00 $14.00
Non-members (SCA memers) must add a $5.00 surcharge (This is to cover liabilty insuranceat corporate level). Instructors of classes will be guests of the Shire and must be pre-registered to get the discount. (Instructors will still have to pay for feast if they choose to eat it)

For the whole flier, send me an email to BrandwynAlston@gmail.com and I will send you the complete flyer and can answer your questions. I can also send you the address as to where to mail your reservations should you choose to come.

Okay, I am going back to planning for this feast now. I have to price my ingredients, figure up quantities, determine what equipment I need to scrounge..etc, etc, etc. so much to do, so little time...

Brandy
Brandwyn
"They are dangerous at both ends, and - crafty - in the middle." Sherlock Holmes, A Game of Shadows (Robert Downey Jr. in character on the subject of Horses)
kaelln

Re: The Ranger Moot in Vaca Del Mar is only 4 weeks away!!!

Post by kaelln »

Brandwyn, that does sound yummy and appetizing! Alas, my sweetie Sharon is having a dental emergency, and it sounds as if a large chunk of my tax refund is going to have to go for that. Why is there always something that comes up at just the wrong time?
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

I've been trying to make the NC Ren Fest for 3 years at least and something like this always happens. I understand your pain Kaelln.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Damn...too close to my return date. Just one more thing on my list of missed events I would love to do but won't make. Maybe next year.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Eric... I do hope you and yours can make it this year!!

Erich might not be here to go, but me and our youngest (our 16 yo) will be going at least once if not twice while it's going.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Willrett
Thangailhir

Post by Willrett »

that food sounds amazing
"Knowledge is a weapon. I intend to be formidably armed." Richard, the Seeker (Sword of Truth)"
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Well last years 1st ever Ranger Moot was a success. our tiny little Shire put on what many called a Kingdom Level event!

This year we are only two weekends away from it and I have been working feverishly on prizes. I have some that I thought the Rangers of MERF might like to see as well. I will post the rest as I finnish, but here are some shots of the Light Weapons prize.

This year's theme is the Tourney of St Olaf and St Hubert, but the overarching symbol will be the Greenman. I made this leather Buckler out of a single disc of armor grade leather. Tooled, dyed and waterboiled for rigidity.
I watermolded it in a domed wok and then when I was done with the tooling and dyeing, I used the same wok to boil it for 10 seconds.
The handle was done the same way and is simply a 1 1/2 inch strip of the same leather molded and fitted to the inside curve the boiled as well. quite sturdy, it's almost like wood to the touch and by waxing the front before I boiled it, I was able to preserve the color for the most part without it getting dark.

Here are the pics and I will put up the link to the event, should anyone want to undertake the journey to Southern Ithilian!

https://sites.google.com/site/shireofva ... thering-ii

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

Scott, That buckler is beautiful ! Anyone would be proud to win it.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Some new pieces for the moot this year! :mrgreen:
The Buckler is the light weapons prize, chanpions belt for the heavy fighters, and hunting quiver is for archery.
My Ben Pearson power jet, that I won last year, is re-offered for the combat archers this year and the throwing spear is on its way back with last years champion.(so not in the picture)
But that is the first prize line up and we have 2nd and 3rd place medalions for all catagories that I will post in a bit.

I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen: