New Axe/ Warhammer idea

A lot of reenactment level work is about learning appropriate historical crafts and skills. This board is for all general skills that don't have their own forum.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Eric C
Vendor

New Axe/ Warhammer idea

Post by Eric C »

Okay, Ringulf has gotten me thinking with his axe and warhammer that he made from a single woodcutting axe. BTW, nice job Ringulf. 8) I was changing out a guide on my bench at work today. The edges of the guide have to be rounded so that the sliverteeth on the back of my headsaw blades won't catch and tear something up. I figured the steel was most likely just mild, so I was going to bring home the old guide to forge into guards and pommels or something. But while I was rounding the edges of the new one with my angle grinder I noticed it sparked like high carbon. "Hmm, this has potential." says I. I looked at it for a few seconds and decided there is enough stock there to get a nice axe out of one side and a nice warhammer out of the other. but I will try to heat treat it to see if it will harden in the first place. Anyway, here are some pics of the piece of steel as it is on my work table under the carport now.

http://s963.photobucket.com/albums/ae11 ... 20project/

I've given some commentary under three of the pics. The piece is 1 1/4" square and 7" long. I am thinking of cutting the piece down the middle of the hole to minimize stock loss. One half will become the axe and the other will become the hammer. If it won't harden, then I'll add saw steel bits to them to make the edge and hammer face. This project may take a while as I am trying to finish off other projects before adding something else. But what are my fellow forumites' ideas on the project?
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Gondian
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Re: New Axe/ Warhammer idea

Post by Gondian »

Looks awesome so far! Cant wait to see the finished weapon!
LOVE NOT THE BRIGHT SWORD FOR IT'S SHARPNESS OR THE ARROW FOR IT'S SWIFTNESS, BUT RATHER LOVE THAT WHICH THEY DEFEND
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Thanks. There's not much to it yet though. Raining here today. I most likely won't get to light the forge, but I am getting in some much needed grinder/filing time. I'll probably go ahead and cut the piece so it will be ready to start work next time I fire up the forge.
Ichthean Forge (pronounced Ick thee an). Maker of knives, and primitive camping gear.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

That sounds like a very interesting project Eric. Keep us informed I would love to see it as it progresses!

I got a suggestion from one of the rangers (I think it was Pete) to try something that led me to my next project of this sort. I am looking for a nice double bit head that I am going to cut in a lazy "s" from the top edge to the bottom edge to make two individual spike hawks.

Depending on the size and shape of the head they should have a nice strong spike and a moderately tall horn for thrusting. given the size they should be good throwers as well as florentine fighters!

The thing that I was hoping for was by using the double bit head the symetrically oval drift hole will work for both edges on this one where I had a bit of a hard time with the crowsbill hammer having the tear drop drift hole going the wrong way for making the hammer the primary striking surface.

Not a real big deal as the crowsbill really has become the primary striker anyway as it has the greatest amount of "charactor" and makes the hammer play second fiddle!

It is a very unique and effective weapon, very deadly against armor! (as a trip to the local junkyard proved with great clarity)
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Dude! That is a project you have GOT to post! I'd love to see it! I saw a double-bit axe recently. I thought about picking it up, but wasn't looking for one at the time.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

As soon as I find an old one to my liking (flee market yardsale style) I will go for it.
Perhaps we can do them side by side, I know I have a lot I can learn from you. We could possibly help each other be better smiths in the process!

:mrgreen:
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Good news! I didn't have to test to see if the piece will harden. It already skates a file without any treatment. So I plan to anneal it before actually starting the work on it.

Ringulf: I saw a double bitted axe at Harbor Freight yesterday and thought of you.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

cool I have one of those in Daytona I will take a look! Thanks! :mrgreen:
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

I would be interested in seeing the outcomes of both projects myself. Hey Eric, you know there is no real reason to anneal it before you start working; once its hot and will require multiple heats while hammering, it wont hurt it.
Once I saw the pic of the stock I drooled a little. If I had that piece Id be tempted to drift the center with a round drift and do a double bit. What kind of drift are you planning on using? I look forward to seeing the end result!
If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Actually you are right about annealing before I begin work. It's really an unnecessary step. The drift I have is the one that Blacksmith's Depot sells as a tomahawk drift. Not sure if that is the exact shape I really want, but it's what I have to work with.
Avery P.

Post by Avery P. »

Eric C wrote:Actually you are right about annealing before I begin work. It's really an unnecessary step. The drift I have is the one that Blacksmith's Depot sells as a tomahawk drift. Not sure if that is the exact shape I really want, but it's what I have to work with.
You know, I been thinking on something; I haven't tried this yet, but what if you start the drift foward and then on the next heat, turn the drift backwards.. on the next heat, forward again and repeat the process. Youd have to go real slow, but it should give a more elongated eye, not a tear drop shape. I've been meaning to expirement with the idea, just havent had time to.
If it be a sin to covet honor,I am the most offending soul alive.
- W. Shakespeare
Eric C
Vendor

Post by Eric C »

Hmm, that's a thought. I wonder if it would suffice for a double bitted axe if you don't have a proper drift for that sort of axe. I think I'll pass on that idea for this project, but I may try it once I get the hang of making axes and such. If you try it, post the results!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Hey guys!
I just found the perfect double bit head on Ebay and picked it up!

So now it's on! I am going to do with this axe what I had described above and see if I can't come up with another nice florentine pair.

I want these to fight and throw so I may not make the haft more than 20-21 inches, like the CS pipe hawk that Nemo has.

But as you will see from the pics below it is a nice shape and will give me a long lazy "S" cut with a straight surface through the drift hole.

Like I was looking for, this will give me a good downturned thin spike and an elongated upper horn on the blade that is going to be devastating for thrusting and also stick very well for throwing.

As you will see the drift is a symetrical oval that will make both handles exactly the same, and the two blades are very shallow from the drift.

I believe this will make them lighter for lack of material but they still look plenty strong frome the plan veiw. the shallow blade will do wonders for the entry when throwing and make sharpening for target throwing very easy.

The axe is almost 11" long so I think it is going to have some heft to it.

All in all this was the axe I was looking for, now let's see what can be done with it! :mrgreen:

The chalk line shows where the cut will be
Peter Remling
Athel Dunedain

Post by Peter Remling »

That is going to be a real sweet pair !
kaelln

Post by kaelln »

That's really ingenious!