Good Tunic Patterns?

A place for pics and tutorials on making Soft Kit (clothing and accessories like buckles and cloak pins).

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Ernildir
Haeropada

Good Tunic Patterns?

Post by Ernildir »

Around the beginning of this semester, I came to the oh so profitable realization that not only is there no rule against sewing during class lectures, but it actually helps me focus and keeps me from dozing off when I'm behind on sleep. And, of course, it's productive. So for the last five weeks or so, I've been working on a new wool cloak (which has way too many seams). However, it is nearing completion (yes, I will post pictures) and I can no longer conceive of attending class without a sewing project. So I need a constant lineup. Could any of you please recommend one or more good patterns for an undertunic or a tunic or a tunic that could be used as an undertunic or an undertunic that could be used as a tunic?

Or even just any pattern for anything. I need patterns. ;)

Thanks.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Re: Good Tunic Patterns?

Post by Manveruon »

Well, there's always this thread by Caedmon:
http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... =25&t=1529
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

http://www.dagorhir.com/gear/garb.php

Plenty of patterns for various clothing.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Manveruon wrote:Well, there's always this thread by Caedmon:
http://ranger.budgetauthenticity.org/fo ... =25&t=1529
Yes, I have one of those kyrtle patterns by Caedmon in progress, but it has only gotten as far as his instructions. ;) Thanks.
E.MacKermak wrote:http://www.dagorhir.com/gear/garb.php

Plenty of patterns for various clothing.
Thank you! That is quite helpful. Perhaps I shall give some of those a try.
And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Oh, and socks. I need to make some socks. Where can I find a sock pattern, and should I use heavy wool, light wool, or linen? :p
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that Dagorhir page. I found that myself a while back when I was looking for a good basic tunic pattern. Good stuff. And as for socks.... what sort of style are you going for? Were you thinking something like 18th century cloth stockings? Or perhaps more like full leg-coverings like chausses or trews? Or perhaps something more basic?

Either way, I might recommend checking out http://www.reconstructinghistory.com . Kass has patterns from practically every era, and you may be able to find something on there that will work for what you have in mind.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
E.MacKermak
Amrod Rhandir

Post by E.MacKermak »

Ernildhir wrote:Oh, and socks. I need to make some socks. Where can I find a sock pattern, and should I use heavy wool, light wool, or linen? :p

Naalbinding...no doubt. As for sewn socks, I am afraid I can't help there.
Still round the corner there may wait a new road or a secret gate and though I oft have passed them by a day will come at last when I shall take the hidden paths that run west of the moon, east of the sun.
Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

Actually.. although you didn't know I did this Erich hehe.. I bought one of those Sock Looms you can get at like Hobby Lobby or Michael's crafts stores. It's like this one..

http://www.knittingboard.com/product_p/sock%20loom.htm

and the middle piece with the nails adjusts depending on the size socks you need.. it's a VERY EASY process and faster than naalbinding and you can use yarn.. use cotton or wool yarn vs the acrylic... to keep them breathable.

I bought some cotton yarn (cuz I can't wear wool) so I can make some for me. Can use wool for Erich and Alex's socks hehe
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

Thanks for the suggestions.

As for the period of socks, I was not thinking of anything in particular. As long as they are approximately thigh-length.
caedmon
Balku'npâ

Post by caedmon »

Ernildhir wrote:
Yes, I have one of those kyrtle patterns by Caedmon in progress, but it has only gotten as far as his instructions. ;) Thanks.

Sorry for such a long absence. Life/Work got in the way for a couple months. I have posted to the Kyrtle thread so there's almost all of it. Still missing are the pics for the new steps, I have done them, but am not somewhere I can digitize & post them right now.

Also I have to figure out what I'm going to do with the neck. I think I can get them out this evening.
-Jack Horner

----------------------------
Impression: Cædmon Reedmace | bronze founder living in Archet, Breeland. c. 3017
Ernildir
Haeropada

Post by Ernildir »

caedmon wrote:
Ernildhir wrote:

Sorry for such a long absence. Life/Work got in the way for a couple months. I have posted to the Kyrtle thread so there's almost all of it. Still missing are the pics for the new steps, I have done them, but am not somewhere I can digitize & post them right now.

Also I have to figure out what I'm going to do with the neck. I think I can get them out this evening.
Not a problem, sir. I'm in no hurry, and life/work should always take precedence over posting sewing instructions. Thanks for adding the rest of the steps! I'm excited.