The Housewife or Hussif.

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Le-Loup
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

The Housewife or Hussif.

Post by Le-Loup »

Most woodsrunners/Rangers will carry some form of sewing kit with them into the woods. Clothing, footwear & packs all need repairs sooner or later. The common housewife probably developed from a simple roll of cloth containing items for sewing, & the need to better secure those items in the pack. The pocket book too is a simple item, & may well have been used by some to secure their needles, thread & other items. Here below are some images of my housewife or hussif that I always carry in my pack. Also there are some images of the pocket books that my wife made.

The beeswax pieces are for waxing the linen thread.

Here you can see a thread winder made from cattle horn, a bone button, & some rolls of animal sinew for repairing footwear.

A close-up of the thread winder & button.
This as you can see is a fairly easy item to make. I copied this one from an original, as are the pocket books.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: The Housewife or Hussif.

Post by Mirimaran »

As always, sir, your kit is a cut above! Thanks for the pics!

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Mirimaran wrote:As always, sir, your kit is a cut above! Thanks for the pics!

Ken
Good of you to say so Ken, thank you.
Regards, Keith.
Robert Frost.

Kiriana
Haeropada

Post by Kiriana »

OH very nice! I was thinking something close to your Hussif where my sewing kit was linen cloth with a couple pouches for things like the buttons, small scissors, and then it rolls up with the linen string and needles as well.. then it's rolled up in a piece of leather and tucked into my pack or needs wallet type pouch.
“From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.”

http://www.mackermakkeep.com
Le-Loup

Post by Le-Loup »

Kiriana wrote:OH very nice! I was thinking something close to your Hussif where my sewing kit was linen cloth with a couple pouches for things like the buttons, small scissors, and then it rolls up with the linen string and needles as well.. then it's rolled up in a piece of leather and tucked into my pack or needs wallet type pouch.
Sounds good to me Kiriana.
Regards, Keith.
Robert Frost.