LARP Weapons

The main focus of MERF is Dunedain Ranger reenactment, but we have a diverse cross-section of users that have multiple interests. Let your other Geek flags fly here.

Moderator: caedmon

RangerKellen
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

LARP Weapons

Post by RangerKellen »

Hey everyone!
I'm a bit new to LARPing but think that it looks amazing! And I'm wondering what weapons I should consider getting?
Looking forward to hearing your responses!
~RangerKellen
"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Re: LARP Weapons

Post by Eledhwen »

Calimacil, if you can afford it and IF your group allows it. Cadillac of LARP weapons.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Take a strole through Haakonson Armory, my photo bucket page and you can see what can be done with good old duct tape and a bit of creativity! Calimacil is wonderful stuff but my Larp doesn't allow latex so I make everything myself as does my son. Boffersmithing is a lot of fun and I would be happy to teach you how.

http://s901.photobucket.com/profile/HaakonsonArmory
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Lots of LARPs do not allow latex or the more modern Calimacil type foam weapons. We use them here for unarmored WMA training, LARPing, and a variety of other things. I've had my first one now for several years; despite hard usage, not a mark on it. Good quality stuff indeed.

However, they ARE extremely expensive and a lot of LARPs do not allow them, more's the pity. I long ago lost interest in popsicle sticks, cloth covered or otherwise, or foam bats. A lot can be done with them, but they still look like what they are and these days that puts me off. Old and cranky I suppose.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Haha thanks guys!
And Ringulf: I would love to learn how to make some! :)
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Eledhwen wrote:Lots of LARPs do not allow latex or the more modern Calimacil type foam weapons. We use them here for unarmored WMA training, LARPing, and a variety of other things. I've had my first one now for several years; despite hard usage, not a mark on it. Good quality stuff indeed.

However, they ARE extremely expensive and a lot of LARPs do not allow them, more's the pity. I long ago lost interest in popsicle sticks, cloth covered or otherwise, or foam bats. A lot can be done with them, but they still look like what they are and these days that puts me off. Old and cranky I suppose.

Eledhwen

This is intriguing to me. I've never gotten involved in LARP, so I don't really know the ins and outs of it. Seems to me though that if a more realistic looking LARP weapon was available, the powers-that-be in the LARP community ought to be all over it. From what I hear too, a lot of those high-end, fancy-schmancy latex LARP weapons actually have a tendency to be safer than the home-made stuff too. So why aren't they allowed?
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Yes I would also like to know the answer to that question.
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

In part because those LARPs that do use them forbid head shots; most folk who LARP do not wish to wear helmets. Also, some folk have concerns about thrusting; the do have carbon fiber rods inside them, although with Calimacil they are capped with kevlar to prevent problems. Finally, a lot of LARPs have no program for 'authorizing' fighters..and of course the price of the popsicle is super cheap over these better weapons.

We are in process of creating a LARP here based around Calimacil weapons and the like...complete with authorization and marshals, but it is still in the experimental stage. We're doing this because there are no LARPs around here that allow these lovely and wonderful weapons.

Safety is the primary reason cited for disallowing them.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Just because they are pretty and fancy does not make them safer. One of the biggest problems despite Calimicils claims to the contrary is that the foam and latex are gels and and gels harden and eventually freez in colder weather. I have been hit with cold latex weapons and it is not much different than ratan! and you know how the sca deals with that...full armor!

You all need to look a bit further as to what can truly be done with boffer smithing. Even though many of my earlier works were simply round pipe foam over pvc with duct tape that is now like comparing a modle T to a mazzeratti! A lot of water has gone under the bridge and I, at least, have never made a popsicle!

I can break out some pictures of very elegant swords, decorated spears, detailed axes up the wazoo and evn though they do not look like "real" weapons or latex facsimalies, they are more in the spirit of a WOW weapon in the epic illustrated but not cartooned style.

One must remember that in Larp we use much more imagination and our props costume and weapons are an aide to roleplay, we are not re-enactors, we are more like unscripted actors with props and safe boffer style weapons.
I have weapons and armor that are just about able to withstand ratan but I am a Dwarf, if I have to fight that deranged pixie who all of a sudden feels she must attack me and all she has is gossomer wings, someone is gonna get hurt in mundane life moreso than killed in a fantasy game.

That may not be attractive to re-enactors or even SCA members as there focus is on reality from a different time period instead of fantasy roleplay based in a medieval setting. but then again those are the perameters larpers choose as a trade off for interactive story line and plot.

Again the key is getting a boffersmith in game that can produce weapons and armor that are close enough to allow the players to without injury, suspend disbelief.
:mrgreen:
Last edited by Ringulf on Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Interesting. Like I said, I've never been involved in LARP of any kind, so I don't really have an idea of how that sort of thing is generally viewed or handled. I mainly asked for curiosity's sake. I hadn't considered the fact that the latex could actually freeze and become rigid - so yeah, that's definitely a concern. My main issue with LARP, if I were ever to actually do it, would be just what you said - suspending my disbelief. I'm the kind of guy who liked to have everything be as realistic as possible in order for me to slip into the fantasy more easily, with the glaringly obvious modern elements minimized as much as possible. But I can definitely appreciate the concept of a game that is more reliant on the "make-believe" aspect of it all.
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I cannot speak for anyone but myself, but our Calimacil weapons are still like they were the day we got them, despite snow, water, sleet, rain heat...they haven't hardened at all. They are perfectly safe IF one is trained in using them..and training for combatants is never a bad thing really. Some LARPs prefer not to so anyone can walk in and have at it.

Really it comes down what you are looking for, what your local group allows, and what you can afford.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
RangerKellen

Post by RangerKellen »

Now I know why people shouldn't use latex weapons!
I really want to buy from Calimacil but it's a little pricy. I would love to learn how to make my own LARP weapons if anyone can help me with that? 8)
-J.R.R. Tolkien
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

Another thing about latex...a lot of people have or will develop very powerful sensitivities to it...to the point where even touching it will trigger a reaction. John Rhys Davies had that problem while filming LotR.

Calimicil weapons aren't latex, or if they are, a type that doesn't trigger the reaction; both myself and my partner avoid latex...even in bra straps. That bad.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

That is true Eledwhen and I must say that I have used those weapons and feel that the trade off (if any) is more than acceptable and have encouraged my group to consider them. But our larp is much more of a place were folks who are not fighters can still go in and be something that they otherwise could not be. this is a bit irksome to some of us who can fight and shoot and all but as you say, it depends on the group. If I were not so driven by my passion to make Boffer weapons as safe and realistic as possible I would be right there with you.

A lot of folks need to have things more realistic to get them into the right frame of mind or in game as they say. I have always been the type who could battle dragons with broomsticks and garbage can lids and have more fun than people. I Suppose it is harder and harder to do as we move away from childhood. Being a chronic Peter Pan syndrom nerd manchild, I am in my element you can take it from there.

The guy who owns our larp says quite often:

"Do whatever you need to do to stay in game and in character, because if you don't we are just a bunch of sweaty nerds running around in the woods beating each other sensless with plumbing supplies."

Such a harsh reality, I don't know where he gets off...the nerve! :mrgreen:
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Good to know! And now that I check out their site, I realize I've seen their stuff before! VERY cool stuff indeed! But yes, like you said, quite pricey. That's definitely a deterrent to a lot of folks (I know it would be for me). Still, all the safety info they have on their site is fascinating, and I would personally trust their weapons over a lot of home-made stuff any day. Not to say anything against anyone who really takes time and effort crafting their own home-made weapons mind you, but the quality of the Calimacil stuff seems hard to beat.