A question about packs.

Hard Kit is all other accoutrements that are not clothing, weapons or armour. This includes pots and tents, and flint & steel, and other things like that.

Moderators: caedmon, Greg

Mirimaran
Thangailhir

Re: A question about packs.

Post by Mirimaran »

I have a nice pigskin pack that I got from BudK about 20 years ago for 15.00 that still holds up, I just wish it had more period buckles. The packs used in the LOTR films and upcoming Hobbit look very nice as well! There is actually a LOTR backpack out there somewhere that is a licensed product.

Ken
"Well, what are you waiting for? I am an old man, and have no time for your falter! Come at me, if you will, for I do not sing songs of dastards!"
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/jef ... index.html

I am in the process of handsewing a canvas pack based off of this one. Mine will have a flap that goes over the top instead of just the drawstring.
You can't take the sky from me.
Greg
Urush bithî 'nKi ya-nam bawâb

Post by Greg »

I, like Kaelln, have that Swiss S&P Ruck, and I love it...but I've found that the conversion to ME is easier said than done. There's a LOT of modern hardware and innovation there, including some webbing in addition to the leather straps, as well as a snap-clip on one of the straps.

I'd recommend for strictly middle-earth purposes, going with something more along the lines of JBook's pack, which, like most everything Hobbit-related, can be traced to the 18th cen. Canvas packs such as his have simpler lines and seem VERY hobbit-appropriate, without requiring any dressing-up. My cooking kit is drastically changing and moving in this same direction...I can't imagine a Ranger bent on watching the borders of the shire NOT taking advantage of the skills and tools of the world's leading authority on food...the hobbits.
Now the sword shall come from under the cloak.
Ringulf
Naugothrain

Post by Ringulf »

Greg I agree 100% with that.
As a Ranger amidst any of the cultures of middle earth, it is, in my opinion, not only feasable but encouraged!.
Being backwoodsmen and not always stay at home craftsman, I would think that they would see the bennefit in the wares of other cultures that were well made and thought out, things that they did not actually have to make, yet could easily convert or repair in the feild.
I would imagine that for their protection and occasional heroics grateful citizens might gift many items of use to their gardians. :mrgreen:
I am Ringulf the Dwarven Woodsman, I craft leather, wood, metal, and clay,
I throw axes, seaxes, and pointy sticks, And I fire my bow through the day.
Come be my ally, lift up your mead! We'll search out our foes and the Eagles we'll feed! :mrgreen:
sgainbrachta
Silent Watcher over the Peaceful Lands

Post by sgainbrachta »

A thought on this as I wander these threads.

A Russian vesh meshok- a bag, about 20" wide, and about 28" tall, falt-sewn, with a drawstring top. From the bottom corners it has a single strap, about 1.5" wide, and roughly 4' long. You do a quick "grab and loop" to tie the center of the strap around the bag- an you then have a backpack!

I'll measure mine, and see about posting some pictures if I am feeling ambitious...

aaaaannndd if anyone is still interested in this thread.
Attachments
A meshok worn, from Ostfront.com
A meshok worn, from Ostfront.com
vesh meshok main.jpg (37.36 KiB) Viewed 14591 times
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

My latest pack is a WWII German Mountain rucksack..so I am told anyway. A vet I know saw it and said it was exactly that but it was unusual in having the assault 'A' frame with it...essentially a triangular backboard covered in canvas. It is entirely hemp canvas and leather, with steel 'D' rings, buckles, keepers, and hooks. It is a bag style, with drawstring top. It has three outer pockets. It can hold an enormous amount..which it would have to for use in the mountains.

Aside from the hidden manufacturer's patch inside, there's nothing I really have to do to it. I may make a waist belt consistent with the other straps in construction for my own convenience, but I was amazed and delightfully surprised to find that the 'frame' and the strap positions work incredibly well, even with my rearranged clavicle and shoulder! I'll get some pics of it and post them for folk to see.

Regardless of whether it really is a German Gerbirgs rucksack or not...it works a charm and I love it!

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
wulfgar
Amrod Rhandir

Post by wulfgar »

sgainbrachta wrote:A thought on this as I wander these threads.

A Russian vesh meshok- a bag, about 20" wide, and about 28" tall, falt-sewn, with a drawstring top. From the bottom corners it has a single strap, about 1.5" wide, and roughly 4' long. You do a quick "grab and loop" to tie the center of the strap around the bag- an you then have a backpack!

I'll measure mine, and see about posting some pictures if I am feeling ambitious...

aaaaannndd if anyone is still interested in this thread.
This is similar to an old style "rucksack". I have used one occasion, basically a large sack with straps. Very simple and easy to use, and actually pretty comfortable. Now I want to make a new one after having cannibalized the old one for it's hemp material.
You can't take the sky from me.
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

Check out these folks for some GREAT hemp material, and at really good prices, too. Well, for hemp anyhow... I have used a lot of thier stuff, and always been happy with it.

www.hemptraders.com

They'll even sell test pieces of material!

Another good source for green hemp canvas is on www.sportsmansguide.com- look for Czech duffle bags. It is some seriously heavy stuff, and you get 2 for like $16 or so~
Smith

Post by Smith »

Hello folks.
I have a homemade framepack. I using it lots of years. Making is basic, and comfort excellent.
ImageImage
This is tutorial http://wastelandrangers.blogspot.cz/201 ... frame.html
Voluntas Superesse
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

That's a great looking pack- and a nice tutorial! Even with the silliness of Google translate, it made sense.

I have made pack baskets and the like from the Triumph of Maximilian before, and yeah- they are either huge or tiny, that is true!

Anyhow- great build!

Robert
Manveruon
Thangailhir

Post by Manveruon »

Very cool! Might have to try that myself someday!
Maerondir Perianseron, also called “Mickel,” Halfling Friend - Ranger of the Misty Mountains
dwayne davis

Post by dwayne davis »

So hi to everyone, it' been a while. After allot of thought I have decided to go with my snapsacks. As i become more comfortable with building shelter from whats available I no longer need a large pack( yep the canvas fly i made is out for all but extended trips.). Im curently doing a rethink of all my gear including weapons. I feel like i was drifting away from Tolkien's idea of rangers,and leaning closer to PJ's version. Im curently working on small tools for my kit, and thinking of making cloth bags to keep gear and supplies in( say one bag for cooking equipment,another for tools ect.) This way camp stays organized and i can pack up in a hurry if needed ( will elimintate the danger of deteriorating into gypsy camp). My bulkiest bit of kit remains my wool blanket. My goal is ten pounds,of that a couple of pounds being water and dry food. Bare necesities mainley. I still feel a rangers main job was to patrole and area,so for me atleast heavy pole weapons and sutch are out. Sword,hunting/utility knife, bow/arrows (multi purpose item),small axe/tomahawk,small sheild( optional),and my horn( signaling device, bulky but light) some small essential items like fire kits are duplicated ( i work off the motto two is one and one is none) Im till drawing insperation for gear and methods from 18th century longhunters,as well as what i can gather from Maj. Robert Rodgers and his rangers( mainly because theres soo little in the way of information on medieval bushcraft, if sutch a thing existed) Ok nough of me being a wind bag nite yall. :D
Not all who are old are wise, not all who are young are fools
Where now is the horse and rider? where is the horn that was blowing?
Straelbora
Haeropada

Post by Straelbora »

dwayne davis wrote:So hi to everyone, it' been a while. After allot of thought I have decided to go with my snapsacks. As i become more comfortable with building shelter from whats available I no longer need a large pack( yep the canvas fly i made is out for all but extended trips.). Im curently doing a rethink of all my gear including weapons. I feel like i was drifting away from Tolkien's idea of rangers,and leaning closer to PJ's version. Im curently working on small tools for my kit, and thinking of making cloth bags to keep gear and supplies in( say one bag for cooking equipment,another for tools ect.) This way camp stays organized and i can pack up in a hurry if needed ( will elimintate the danger of deteriorating into gypsy camp). My bulkiest bit of kit remains my wool blanket. My goal is ten pounds,of that a couple of pounds being water and dry food. Bare necesities mainley. I still feel a rangers main job was to patrole and area,so for me atleast heavy pole weapons and sutch are out. Sword,hunting/utility knife, bow/arrows (multi purpose item),small axe/tomahawk,small sheild( optional),and my horn( signaling device, bulky but light) some small essential items like fire kits are duplicated ( i work off the motto two is one and one is none) Im till drawing insperation for gear and methods from 18th century longhunters,as well as what i can gather from Maj. Robert Rodgers and his rangers( mainly because theres soo little in the way of information on medieval bushcraft, if sutch a thing existed) Ok nough of me being a wind bag nite yall. :D
I really like the idea of light and easy and of duplication of essentials. I would imagine some Rangers would be almost completely solitary, spending long periods alone on the trails, whereas others might frequently pass through towns, villages and homesteads. Nothing like the old grape vine for gaining knowledge in a time when travel was by foot or horse and books were hand-written and expensive.
Vápnum sínum skala maðr velli á
feti ganga framar því at óvist er at vita
nær verðr á vegum úti geirs um þörf guma
Hávamál
Eledhwen
Thangailhir

Post by Eledhwen »

I finally managed a pack that worked well with my rather seriously rearranged left shoulder....but I have returned to my Colonial Ranger habits after all. Haversack, blanket roll, pouch (shooting bag equivalent), need wallet, belt axe, long knife, and bow. Since I keep returning to the minimalist state I reckon I ought to stay there. It also makes switching from Colonial with Ranger Brown Bess to Dunedain Ranger very easy and means there is less gear to deal with.

Eledhwen
Nandalad!
sgainbrachta

Post by sgainbrachta »

Indeed- it seems hard for folks in this modern world to pare things down to what was probably carried. (Yeah, I know- it's a book, but still- based in reality, for the average guys!)

Keeping things to a minimum, as what both Dwayne and Elwedhwen have noted.

My kit is very simple, almost exactly what Eledhwen has- but I use a camp knife instead of the 'hawk, and would carry a longsword for the "weapon", as it is very light.

So- basically, it's a water bottle (costrel), haversack/snapsack, blanket roll, large belt pouch, need wallet (smaller belt pouch~), camp knife (seax-ish), long knife (langes messer/bauerwehr-ish), and long bow and quiver- and the addition of an oilcloth cover for my blanket. Total weight comes out to about 20 pounds, and then another 3 1/2 for the longsword, whet stone, by knives, and sheath.

Robert/Eadylferth